Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: film-maker airlifted from wildernes- dying of starvation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    wouldn't a 22 be a better choice in a survival situation. you could throw 2-3 bricks of ammo in your pack and eat like a king for a year.

Feedback Score
    I will admit it, I would watch this falue.

I think a shotgun is fine for killing a moose.
    I think I would have gone with a drilling.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    A drilling would be perfect.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I agree.

Plus, he should have brought some Lembas.
    What the **** is a Lembas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    What the **** is a Lembas?
    I am SUCH a dork for knowing what lembas is before wiki'ing it

Appearing in The Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion material, lembas is a special bread made by the Elves, also called waybread in the Common Speech. Shaped into thin cakes, it is very nutritious, stays fresh for months when in its original leaf-wrappings, and is used for sustenance on long journeys. It is tastier than cram or Beorn's honey-cakes. It appears brownish on the outside and cream-coloured on the inside. Lembas is a closely guarded secret, and only on rare occasions is it given to non-Elves. Like other products of the Elves, it is offensive to evil creatures
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    The problem with Rabbit Starvation is a lack of fat. Rabbit is too lean.

This goober should have been looking to suppliment his rabbit with as much fat as possible. Mainly nuts. Roots would be a good suppliment for carbs. Cattail roots anyone?

If he wanted a easy fat source, he should have used that shotgun to down an elk or a moose.
    +1 on that! you'd figure he'd have at least read some books before he went out....
    Thanks,

Travis
    TF 2-13 Al Qaeda Hunt Club '03-'07

ruck up and drive on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9ro...layer_embedded

Feedback Score

Shotguns for survival

There are ways of making a shotshell fire as a single projectile that could be used up close for larger game...not really recomended, but I have done it.
    Personally I think that a handful of slugs should have been a required necessity in Bear Country, Home Defense Shotgun or not.

And I agree with what Shivan was trying to say about the Moose....Extreme times call for extreme measures. I don't believe he was advocating taking wild risks as much as a calcualted one. Taking one risk for the chance to take down a Moose (Months worth of Meat) would be justified here.

The general concensus here seems to be right...snare/trap line from the beginning as well as passive fishing methods Bank or trout lines, fish traps etc...then start working on a way to prevent scurvy...roots, berries any possible wild fruits etc.

There is a reason our ancestors survived to be known as Hunter/Gatherers....either one will sustain you over a short period of time but you need to be able to do both if you are going to not only survive but live in a inhospitable land.
    Last edited by rat31465; 07-19-10 at 06:51. Reason: spelling
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    He probably should have read a bit of Jon Krakauer before he embarked on his little trip.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Feedback Score
    This show made me feel very sorry for those who think that surviving in the wild is easy, or somehow something to be taken for granted. Our history alone tells the tale of settlers starving to death and succumbing to the weather, and they had the skills necessary to live off the land. Ed was arrogant, and that's probably why he spent most of those shows crying.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456