Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: film-maker airlifted from wildernes- dying of starvation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I think it's a shotgun, based on the big picture at the top of this thread
    No...not the one in his hands. See the stick-like thing growing out of the top of his head in the top pic in this thread? That's the barrel I think of his rifle. If you follow the link I posted you can see it in at least one other pic, and it sure looks like part of some rifle.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiservontexas View Post
    Epic Fail! Wrong shotgun for the woods. A shotgun is fine if it is in a hunting configuration. I would have packed a .30-06 and a large bore handgun.
    Handguns are banned in UK.
    Last edited by Paulinski; 08-28-09 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hahahahaha, starving, that's a riot. What a flaming idiot.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    No...not the one in his hands. See the stick-like thing growing out of the top of his head in the top pic in this thread? That's the barrel I think of his rifle. If you follow the link I posted you can see it in at least one other pic, and it sure looks like part of some rifle.
    Gotcha! That's what I get for trying to be a smartass and give someone a hard time
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like "natural selection" was working just fine, before the rescue. They should have let him die out there, to prove, that shit ain't easy.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    The head and face of a moose, even if charging, would be a cakewalk in comparison. Then again, I know WTF I am doing in that regard.
    Having been charged and treed by a moose...from straight on, they are annoyingly small and really fast.

I only had a bow so I wasn't going to argue the point, but it I doubt it's as easy to hit a charging bull moose as one might think.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 08-29-09 at 09:37.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I have no doubt that being charged by a moose sucks. But if I am starving to death I think I would take the chance.
    I saw the PIC and it looks like a rifle and it could be but in the pilot episode I never saw him with a rifle or use one. The impression I got from watching the pilot episode was he was going to eat fish, rabbits and berries.
    The guy never saw a moose or an elk he would walk up on an animal trail and start to freak out saying he was scared of running into one and would turn around and leave the area.

I am not an survival expert I am not a great fisherman nor a great hunter. But I would be stringing up trout lines for my fishing and a would be trying to take any big game that I could not running away from any animal trail that I stumble across.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    snares... i'd start setting snares on day one and keep setting them till day done.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Having been charged and treed by a moose...from straight on, they are annoyingly small and really fast.

I only had a bow so I wasn't going to argue the point, but it I doubt it's as easy to hit a charging bull moose as one might think.
    Bull moose do not always charge, and like most animals they will run from pain inflicted upon them and loud noises.

Pick your ambush spot between large rocks or in a thicket of heavy trees and brush. Remember, moose have very large antlers that will not navigate thick and heavy tress well. Scout their movement and pick their "super highway" of movement from low ground to high, and be on the high ground -- in a good defensible spot.

Again I am not talking about voluntarily doing this sort of ambush when you are sport hunting, but when your ass is on the line a dead moose can keep you alive for a long time. Sometimes you may need to take a WELL PLANNED chance to get you out alive. Do not stand out in the middle of a field and shoot a bull moose in the face. That would be pure stupidity, and apparently that is what some people envision as a best approach.

I wonder what guys with pointy sticks thought about killing things like a mammoth? Pretty risky, I'd say -- then again they didn't have a choice. Die or try it...you pick.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    I have no doubt that being charged by a moose sucks. But if I am starving to death I think I would take the chance.
    I saw the PIC and it looks like a rifle and it could be but in the pilot episode I never saw him with a rifle or use one. The impression I got from watching the pilot episode was he was going to eat fish, rabbits and berries.
    The guy never saw a moose or an elk he would walk up on an animal trail and start to freak out saying he was scared of running into one and would turn around and leave the area.

I am not an survival expert I am not a great fisherman nor a great hunter. But I would be stringing up trout lines for my fishing and a would be trying to take any big game that I could not running away from any animal trail that I stumble across.
    You would have to eat a dozen trout a day to survive. Not enough fat. Trout are supplimental high quality protien.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 08-29-09 at 11:17.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast