Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: film-maker airlifted from wildernes- dying of starvation

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    he was probably eating the wrong shit, and not enough of it still. i don't know about other rodents, but rabbit, for one, will not sustain you. if you ate nothing but rabbit for 50 days, you'd starve to death- humans can't metabolize rabit protein. it's missing required amino acids.

think they'll still do the show?

+ 1...

Eating rabbit causes the body to rob you of essential vitamins and minerals to digest it....
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    I know little about snares, but depending on how long it takes to trap something in one I don't know how useful they would have been for this purpose. From the article it sounded like he was supposed to be moving cross country, maybe even with a destination in mind, and making improvised shelters en route.
    Last edited by BrianS; 09-05-09 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    He may have gotten Tularemia from the rabbits as well.

Not sure what season he was there, but being from Alaska I can tell you there is a lot of food to be had. One must improvise to survive.

Bears are OK, Moose are large and angry. You can always separate the Alaskans from the "tourists" during the salmon runs. Alaskans give the right of way to Moose and Bear, Tourists think the moose are harmless and take pictures.

Poorly trained and setup for failure. Most intelligent outdoorsman could survive 60-90 days if properly equipped IMO.
    Last edited by PACKINHEAT; 09-15-09 at 03:02. Reason: sp
    Focus, Take a breath, engage.... Repeat

Feedback Score
    I bet Bear Grylls would have made it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtb0311 View Post
    I bet Bear Grylls would have made it.
    I am pretty sure Bear Grylls would have I watched him parachute into Africa and on his second Day if my memories serves me correct he started eating a dead zebra it looked as if it had been laying there for a week covered in maggots and flies AACCKKI would have just starved I think I pucked a little in my mouth just thinking of it

Feedback Score
    looks like he is carrying way to much of the wrong gear too. Probably sporting 60-100 lbs of gear with no food? Retarded.

Feedback Score
    Walmart makes life seem easier than it really is.

REI, EMS and all those other outdoor stores with their dried food, jerky and protein bars can distort the reality of what real nature survival is.

Though, I would be trying to kill large game wherever possible, not avoiding them.

One elk is better than 1000 rabbits

Also, anyone trying this shit would be wise to learn who Chris McCandless is by reading "Into the Wild". That kid starved to death in 112 days while eating rice, small game and wild potatos
    Last edited by variablebinary; 10-11-09 at 00:29.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    You would have to eat a dozen trout a day to survive. Not enough fat. Trout are supplemental high quality protien.

pretty sure there is plenty of fat in fish, eat the row if any and the brains, pretty sure bears fatten up on salmon for the winter
    Last edited by LockenLoad; 10-12-09 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Walmart makes life seem easier than it really is.

REI, EMS and all those other outdoor stores with their dried food, jerky and protein bars can distort the reality of what real nature survival is.

Though, I would be trying to kill large game wherever possible, not avoiding them.

One elk is better than 1000 rabbits

Also, anyone trying this shit would be wise to learn who Chris McCandless is by reading "Into the Wild". That kid starved to death in 112 days while eating rice, small game and wild potatos
    that kid was a wack job and a total idiot, there was a bridge just a few miles away he could have used to cross the river in flood, what I learned is if you are a dumb sh#t that knows nothing about living off the wild you will die

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Would be cool if this show aired showing the failed attempt. A guy trying to sustain himself in that kind of environment, slowly falling further and further behind in the calorie game, could seriously be interesting.

I would also like to know how many miles he was able to cover in the 50 days.

I love the fact that he twittered to get rescued too.

Already aired on the history channel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast