Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Officer to Town Hall Protester: ‘It Ain’t [America] No More’

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    School property is a different animal than other public property according to Virginia law:

This provision gives the school officials wide discretion in who and what they allow on their property. While the security guard was CLEARLY being an ass, he was still apparently within his legal authority.

Issues of fairness could be raised with the school system...but it's unlikely they would care enough to fire the guy.
    If the security guard is acting on behalf of a public school under the color of that law, then his enforcement of it must be "content neutral" or it is unlawful. If this guy were arrested and charged for violating this Code section, he could easily and successfully argue that the statute was unconstitutional as applied in this case, as a state actor was kicking him out purely because of his political views.

Then there'd be the 1983 suit...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    Then there'd be the 1983 suit...
    That's one good way to defund government schools.

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.” Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Color of law takes on a whole new dimension...
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    That's one good way to defund government schools.
    Such are my dreams made of, my friend!
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    Wow, that statement demonstrates a lack of situational awareness. This was supposed to be a town hall meeting, which directly implies open forum. The fact the guy had a sign, which was opposed to some (or many) who were present, should not have been enough to get him removed.
    I don't think so. The sign guy kept at it until he got the sound bite he wanted. Notice you can hear someone else trying to explain a Supreme Court ruling to him pertaining to school property just before the video stops.

As to the guards comment, I can still remember a Drill Instructors retort to some jerk mouthing off that went something along the lines of " This ain't no #&*$@, This is the Marine Corps." I take the guards statement in the same context.

Yes, it was supposed to be a town hall meeting but that doesn't mean there are no standards of behavior. This is a piece of video that does not show the whole story. We don't see any of the other signs, we don't see the first interaction with the guard. I doubt if the sign was the only anti one there but it well could have been the only one with a picture. Suppose public comments were limited to 5 minutes to allow everyone in a lagre crowd to have their say, I can easily see our sign guy making a video of himself being dragged away from the microphone after 10.

There have been a lot of videos taken at these town hall meetings. The ones that bother me are the ones where the public officials refuse to answer a question, give evasive answers or outright misrepresent the facts. The ones that bother me are the ones that show people (pro or anti) talking over each other in order to stop the other from having his say. The ones that bother me are the ones where people (pro or anti) throw out "facts and statistics" that are bogus.

A meeting should be a forum where people of opposing views gather to state their case based on the facts of the issues. A meeting should not be a circus to allow the clowns to spout propaganda along the party line. Make no mistake I mean both Democratic and Republican clowns. The idea that one is better than the other is disproved every power change cycle as they both pull the same crap they accused the other of pulling.

"Change" isn't going to come from DC. "Change" is going to come when everyone in DC is thrown out of office. "Change" is going to come when we elect people who understand that they are in DC to serve the people not the other way around. "Change" is going to come from term limits that will prevent the systemic corruption all too prevelant in politics today.

This video says it better than I ever could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I found the "Will love his FEMA camp" banner particularly entertaining. The rest of it was OK, but I hope they don't make it a Fall series.

M_P

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JRI View Post
    "Change" isn't going to come from DC. "Change" is going to come when everyone in DC is thrown out of office. "Change" is going to come when we elect people who understand that they are in DC to serve the people not the other way around. "Change" is going to come from term limits that will prevent the systemic corruption all too prevelant in politics today.
    I'm far too pragmatic to believe those conditions will come about without the same types of events that occurred in 1775 and 1861. There is far too much money and power at stake for the powermongers to just give it up without a real, bloodletting fight.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    I'm far too pragmatic to believe those conditions will come about without the same types of events that occurred in 1775 and 1861. There is far too much money and power at stake for the powermongers to just give it up without a real, bloodletting fight.
    When God is first and foremost in our minds miracles do happen. I don't think using rifles will do anything but get us killed. I believe they are wishing for that to happen. Look to Fallujah to see what I believe will be unleashed on any brave folk who choose that route. Keep in mind that the US is a member of NATO and the UN and would not hesitate to bring those troops in to suppress us. And CHINA owns 25% of US debt would doubtlessly ask/demand protection of her assets and the US president (whomever he/she may be) will comply.

We must be as wise as the serpent and as peaceful as the dove.

Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    When God is first and foremost in our minds miracles do happen. I don't think using rifles will do anything but get us killed. I believe they are wishing for that to happen. Look to Fallujah to see what I believe will be unleashed on any brave folk who choose that route. Keep in mind that the US is a member of NATO and the UN and would not hesitate to bring those troops in to suppress us. And CHINA owns 25% of US debt would doubtlessly ask/demand protection of her assets and the US president (whomever he/she may be) will comply.

We must be as wise as the serpent and as peaceful as the dove.

Just my two cents.
    Bring it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234