Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: LONG GUN AND MOVEMENT CONSIDERATIONS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    How's the Snugpak holding up being carried externally on the pack? I'm considering moving mine to the webbing on a vest, and getting a heavier one for my winter pack.
    It has worked out fine. The bag itself comes in decent/durable stuff sack, so unless it is constantly scraped on an abrasive surface, it should hold up really well. I have mine tourqued down really good. It doesn't move.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the judge View Post
    It has worked out fine. The bag itself comes in decent/durable stuff sack, so unless it is constantly scraped on an abrasive surface, it should hold up really well. I have mine tourqued down really good. It doesn't move.
    Roger that. I guess I'll quit being a ninny, and strap it on the outside.

Feedback Score
    one advantage to the Sneaky Bag, or ANY "discrete case" is just that... it's more discrete than the typical wedge-shaped "assault cases" with mag pockets on the outside. those cases are even worse when they're camo.

for norma, day-to-day, non SHTF stuff people need to move gear between their home and their vehicle and back. that's a challenge in some areas. unless you live on several acres or have landscaping that helps screen the view of the driveway and garage, or have the ability to pull the vehicle into the garag to load it... you'll need to move stuff where almost anyone passing by can see it.

my garage doesn't have room to park the truck inside. it's got shelving, motorcycles, workbenches, toolboxes, bicycles and other gear filling most of it and my driveway is in plain view of the whole street.

so i'm a big fan of the shorter, non descript, rectangular cases. unfortunately, the common colors are black, OD and tan... and again, some come in camo which kind of defeats the purpose. a 33" or shorter case like this looks farily mundane. the 42" or longer versions start to look more rifle like. and the shortest Sneaky Bag goes a long way to throw off the casual observer because it looks more like a "normal" backpack, except that it's slightly longer.

i've seen pix of people using some skateboard cases which looked very discrete, and tennis racket cases... but those only look "right" if you LOOK like you play tennis. if you're #60 or more overweight don't think you're gonna fool anyone.

shorter rifles like the SBR Sig 556 posted earlier, or the Daewoo K1 i sold off several years ago after it became a safe queen that you couldn't find parts for or the FN P90 and anything else with a short barrel and a side folding stock seem to be good candidates for discrete transport. full length FAL, M1A or AR? not so good. at least not for being discretely transported.

if TSHTF, i think the case's job is probably done once you get the hardware to the vehicle. it still serves a function while driving to wherever you're going... but if you leave the vehicle, it's probably time to ditch/stow the case.

the backpack with the long gun scabbard seems to work, but doesn't seem to have any provision for mags... and that's where the small Sneaky Bag that you sling over your shoulder and carry mags, first aid, water and whatever else in seems to have a role in some scenarios. again, until the rifle is displayed with it, it passes casual observation. so if it's stored in the back of your SUV, or in the back seat of your car and you need to give a co-worker a lift to lunch, or home after their car breaks down at work... you don't have someone wondering WTF all the mil-spec gear is in your vehicle.

i don't have any of the Sneakybag stuff yet... finally saw one in person at a carbine shoot last week. it looked almost, but not quite normal, but far more normal than any other case there. this one was all tan and if it was built with more conventional colors that would help even more. they do offer it in gray, with black trim which seems to be the best choice.

i've also seen a "guitar" case designed to haul a rifle. that may work as long as you only have one... multiple cases like that might not work so well.

a friend of mine recently got a Kel Tec Sub 2000. it fits in a cheap laptop case. you could carry it anywhere that doesn't require going thru a metal detector. carry it in the mall or into most offices and nobody would notice.

the larger Kel Tec SU16s fold compactly, but IMHO the LOP on the stock is too long. they have their new kit that mounts a M4 stock, but the only pics i've seen of it suggest that it no longer folds as compactly.

and speaking of that rifle, an AR with a CAR/M4 stock and a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached Phantom is only about 3" longer then the folded Kel-Tec. i had a chance to compare them side by side at a gunshow last year.

Feedback Score

Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    I've put some thought into this very issue.

My thoughts:
    1. Rifle (SBR)is a must in any prolonged "situation"
    2. Covert 1s extremely important
    3. Must be able to carry SBR in any street clothes, no jacket or covering neccessary (vests and tac belts not an option)

Here is the best I've come up with for an SBR. Its a Condor messenger bag.

My thoughts on the Condor Bag:
    1. Ideally I would like molly under the flap instead of pockets that way nothing is visible until needed (at that point the flap would be removed or folded back.) To carry more than 2 quickly accessible SBR mags you need to add molle mag carriers to the molle on the outside of the flap... Actually a combo of pockets and molle under the flap would be ideal.
    2. Perfect size for and SBR, mags, odds and ends
    3. Functions great as a dump bag
    4. Very discrete minus molle
    5. Comfortable
    6. Hangs on left side over right shoulder so its out of the way of my OWB
    7. Very quickly accessible
    8. Has a useful waist belt to stop the "flop"

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoyz View Post
    I've put some thought into this very issue.

My thoughts:
    1. Rifle (SBR)is a must in any prolonged "situation"
    2. Covert 1s extremely important
    3. Must be able to carry SBR in any street clothes, no jacket or covering neccessary (vests and tac belts not an option)

Here is the best I've come up with for an SBR. Its a Condor messenger bag.

My thoughts on the Condor Bag:
    1. Ideally I would like molly under the flap instead of pockets that way nothing is visible until needed (at that point the flap would be removed or folded back.) To carry more than 2 quickly accessible SBR mags you need to add molle mag carriers to the molle on the outside of the flap... Actually a combo of pockets and molle under the flap would be ideal.
    2. Perfect size for and SBR, mags, odds and ends
    3. Functions great as a dump bag
    4. Very discrete minus molle
    5. Comfortable
    6. Hangs on left side over right shoulder so its out of the way of my OWB
    7. Very quickly accessible
    8. Has a useful waist belt to stop the "flop"
    How's an SBR going to fit in that? It would certianly have to put the S in SBR

Feedback Score
    Sig 556 fits perfectly

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
    How's an SBR going to fit in that? It would certianly have to put the S in SBR
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoyz View Post
    Sig 556 fits perfectly
    Hmm. Is there more than one model of that bag? All the listings I can find for Condor Messenger Bag show the largest compartment as 12 X 6 X 1.25

My 556 SBR is over 20" folded and more than 7" high...

I agree that with the molle straps on the outside, it doesn't meet the criteria of discrete. It would be great without the exterior molle and in a different colorIF I could actually fit a 556 inside it.
    Last edited by Luke_Y; 03-15-10 at 15:56. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Hmm. Seems like you might be missing something.

The bag is quite a bit longer and taller than 12". Only thing that might fit those dimensions is one the pockets on the exterior, under the flap...

Best suggestion is to find one and try it for yourself.
    Last edited by mrtoyz; 03-15-10 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Are we talking about THIS bag?

MAIN COMPARTMENT DIMENSIONS: 6" x 12" x 1.25"
    ID SLOT COMPARTMENT DIMENSIONS: 4" x 5" x 1"
    TOP LEFT UTILITY COMPARTMENT DIMENSIONS: 4" x 6" x 1"
    LONG BOTTOM COMPARTMENT DIMENSIONS: 2" x 11 " x 1"
    OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 11" x 14" x 5"
    If not can you give me a link?

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast