Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LONG GUN AND MOVEMENT CONSIDERATIONS

Feedback Score
    Good read!

All of this kind of confirms for me that by and large, even with widespread economic and social collapse, we aren't looking at scenarios where we're likely to be traveling any significant distances with a slung rifle and a chest rig. The author mentioned at one point having a folded-stock FAL PARA beneath his coat, but he had it on him because he was already going shooting with a friend. It sounds like to me that the only feasible way to be carrying any kind of long gun is if that long gun is fairly short or can be made short (collapsible stocks, folding stocks, SBRs, etc.), and concealable.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-09-17 at 00:01. Reason: Mo info

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Ferfal's analysis is an excellent resource. Consider him a "Subject Matter Expert".

I've decided to post a new thread, addressing the thought process that Josh's link sent me down, as everything I've written will seriously compromise the excellent direction of this thread. Thusly, I'll take everything I've posted here, and put it in a different one.

In short, depending on the level of systemic disaster, a long arm may be a very useful tool.

Begin Cut
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to new thread: "Threat Matrix - Disaster Radar"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    An SBR might fit the bill for many diff. reasons/situations.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    While this is not a rifle by no means other option would be to turn a pistol into a small PDW with the addition of a stock, forward grip and 33rd magazines. While this is very illegal to do unless you apply for a $200.00 stamp and register the pistol as a AOW it is but another option to consider. After all the paper work is finished and approved one could carry the light weight plastic stock and forearm in your BOB and convert the pistol on your hip when needed. A Glock Model 34 or 35 would be ideal for such a conversion IMHO.

Something like this,

http://www.zahal.org/rifle/p22.htm

Sorry if this is too far off topic but I think its possible adaptability fits into some of the needs of a small PDW.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have never really come across a "Civilian" looking vest which fit my needs for storage of magazines and other small items without looking like I was 300lbs and hiding something. What type of Vests are members using to fit this mission which may cover a PDW or a M-4?

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-09-17 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure my studies over the years have indicated that stocked pistols didn't really give more than a theoretical advantage in accuracy over standard pistols, which is why they never really became popular.

I'd rather use the weight and bulk to carry a BUG instead of the stock. Then, I have a second gun just in case, or a means to arm a family member if need be, etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is a direct link to Ferfel's site, onto the firearms page;

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/search/label/Firearms

Scroll down to the "Why your first gun should be a handgun" blog.

Other links include topics we have been discussing, including his suggestions for "get-home-bags", etc.
    Last edited by tpd223; 08-30-09 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    I've got a bigger post I'm working on but I'm liking the thought process I'm seeing so far.

A few themes I'm recognizing is that getting all "jocked up" might not be the best initial solution, weight is a concern, and scalability might be something to think about.

If possible, let's try to keep this thread about the long gun. I realize the threads cross topic a bit, but how we interact with the long gun in a bug out situation is the specific topic.

Rob, the presumption of being on foot is pertinent to this topic because a vehicle makes all the parameters change. We can go farther, carry more, hide it easier, etc. Is it plausible?? I can think of MANY situations where having to move on foot comes up. Something as simple a a disabled vehicle, to a vehicle being a bullet magnet (OCUNUS) to natural disaster egress. Major arteries seem to get clogged in a hurry. I know in VA Beach getting out of town for the hurricanes was tricky. I can't imagine what it's like in your neck of the woods.

I'll writing my posts in WORD and then dropping them in here. I type like **** so losing an entire post ruins my whole day.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast