Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a first bolt action

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Choosing a first bolt action

I am considering getting my first precision bolt action. Based on what I read on this board and in "Ultimate Sniper" I am thinking of either getting a Savage 10FP with choate stock or a Remington 700 series.
    I am thinking 0.308 caliber.
    However, I was at a local store today, when I saw a FN Patrol rifle in 0.308, like new condition, with Leupold Vari X 3.5-10 X 50 for $1180. Does this look like a
    good deal?

What would be a good choice for beginner?
    Of the three choices, is one superior to another, or is it like picking between a Ford and a Chevy?

Thanks,

Andrew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That sounds like a good deal on the FN.

My bolt gun is a Rem 700 LTR. If you get one, check to make sure the holes for the scope mount screws are centered.

I like my rifle, but part of me wishes I had just stuck w/ my KISS Wal-Mart 700 ADL 30-06. It was lighter and you can do some good work with a solid rifle and a really good scope.

It depends on what you want to do with it.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Feedback Score
    The 10FP is a sound choice, but if you can get the FN all the better. A word on Choate stocks, some like them, some don't. They seem to work well off a bench, but they can be a bit less convenient if your a run and gun sort.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with a 700. It's a good base rifle to learn, and as you progress you can customize it to what you want-making the rifle grow with you.

Feedback Score
    I vote for a Remington 700 PSS for a basic entry level rifle. If you look around, you can probably find one for $700-$800.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's my 2 cents...

I started out with a Savage 10FP that I bought from my father. That gun is capable of shooting much better groups than I am. It's a 20" bull barrel in the original stock. I've thought of replacing the stock due to the amount that it flexes, but I haven't found any stock that I'm completely sold on (this includes Choate).

In the last year I bought a Rem. 700P but have not shot it yet since I haven't bought a scope for it yet (having other priorities sometimes suck ).

Overall, I am highly impressed with my Savage 10FP and plan on keeping it for quite a while. I would also recommend them to anyone looking for a good quality rifle. Yes, there are other manufacturers out there that make better rifles, but for the price of a Savage they can't be beat for an entry level shooter.

Feedback Score
    If you like to tinker with stuff and have the money to play buy a 700. If you want to buy something that shoots really well right out of the box and never mess with it then get a savage with the stock you want.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I'm going to give the Savage Arms 10Fp one more plug. For the price, it cannot be beat, mine shoots way better than I do.

For the cost of the FN (I assume without scope), you can probably get the Savage, a nice scope, bipod and a replacement stock!

I have been happy with mine for the last 7 years or so!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks to all for your replies.
    Glockster, the price is for the rifle, with the scope and rings, which makes it an attractive package.
    I also tried Savage 10FP LE2B in McMillan stock and really like it. The price for it is $800 for a brand new.
    Is McMillan considered to be a much better stock than FN's Hogue stock?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast