Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing a first bolt action

Feedback Score
    I would rate the obvious choices as:

First: Remington 700... It's the numba one action out there, and because of that, you can grow your rifle with accessories and performance tuning as your marksmanship grows.

Second: Savage FP... EZ swap barrels, plenty of accessories, known for accuracy out of the box.

Third: FN PBR. I owned one, and it's a fine rifle. Easy to adjust weight of trigger pull. Factory stock sucks (Hogue overmolded crud)

Note I did not rate any rifle as "last". They are all good to go, I just think the Remington action is "better" to go.

Feedback Score
    I can't believe no one hasn't mentioned a Winchester Mod 70...

I had the Mod 70 Shadow w/HS-precision stock, .920 barrel, Harris bi-pod and a Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 40 LETAC 1/4 MOA mil dot.. If I did my part, it consistantly shot 3 round goups under .400 @ 100yrds. with a lot of differen't home made match loads tested and setting the ogive about 10 thou. or less from the lands and grooves... I finally developed one load that the rifle really liked....

This rifle I regret selling.. but as said in another thread I have ordered a Rem 700 PSS with factory detachable mag.. J.

Feedback Score
    What options does the left-handed shooter have for there first precision rifle?

Feedback Score
    Savage Arms makes almost all of their rifles in left handed versions also!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    When I started shooting precision rifles I went with Savage because they have a reputation of shooting incredibly tight groups right out of the box. I started with .223 Cal. because I had plenty of bulk ammo available and was having it reloaded for my AR-15 already. It was a cheaper way to get started and I’m not sorry I went that route. When it was time to upgrade to a .308 Cal. I had a great scope, bipod, and other equipment to almost seamlessly slide into the larger caliber.
    Prepare for the unthinkable, as though it was inevitable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123