Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a first bolt action

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Be like zak and get nice ass AI sticks (lucky bastard). Only thing stopping me from diving into the precision world is cost of ammo. I barely shoot my 5.56 sticks as it is.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Voodoo,

Unfortunately your suggestion is not teneable for near future .
    I do hear you about the cost of ammo...I may have to get into reloading to be able to shoot the rifle frequently enough.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the McMillan is the cats ass...the FN sounds like a good deal, but I don't have any experience with it!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy t
    Voodoo,

Unfortunately your suggestion is not teneable for near future .
    I do hear you about the cost of ammo...I may have to get into reloading to be able to shoot the rifle frequently enough.
    I was just messing with you man. Yeah I need to get into reloading as well it will save me from crying every time I go to shoot. It has gotten to the point where I debate whether or not I need to go shoot.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    I have run 700 for a while now and have gotten good accuracy out of every one I have had. The people I know that shoot savages all like them too it is all a matter of preference and pocket book, but if you are going to build up a gun in the future a 700 is the way to go. That being said you do have to buy good rings and a good base for them and that adds alot to the cost about $300 and then a scope which for a beginer a super sniper would probably be a good pick because of cost and quality.

The FN could be a good pickup, they are also good guns but watch what scope and rings are on it I have seen many a high dollar rifle with substandard rings and bases, I have had bad luck with Leopold scopes like that so make sure to check where the rings and the scope meet that the tube is not crushed, Leopold will not warranty it for free and I had a peice that someone did it to and it cost me.

Feedback Score
    look at the savage 10fp sniper package . rifle comes with pelican case leupold mark iv , bipod . think i paid about 1,900 for mine . its a tack driver ! best of all it has an adjustable trigger. check out their web site for more info

Feedback Score
    I love my 700's VLS in .223 with a Burris signature electro dot 6-24x40 and a VS in .308 with a Springfield Armory Gov Model 6-20x56 mil dot. wouldnt trade or sell them for anything. The only thing Ive had done is had the trigger pull lightened

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)

Thumbs up

Remington 700! If its good enough for the USMC its good enough for me! Plus there are alot of add ons and easy to get you hands on parts as well! Good Luck!

Grunt Out!

Feedback Score
    I'm also in the beginning phases of researching and choosing a good bolt gun myself. I have "The Ultimate Sniper" book as well but have not been able to read it yet.

GREAT link by Zak Smith, thanks for that.
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the article Zak !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast