Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dissapator Barrel"

Feedback Score

"Dissapator Barrel"

Hi,can anyone offer advice on the following; i would like to use a dissapator style barrel (16" w/ rifle handguards) on my AR. Should i use the style offered by Model 1 with the CAR style gas tube setup or can a 20" bbl. be shortened to 16" and still use it`s gas system reliably? Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    Get a 16" middy version.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D Golden View Post
    Hi,can anyone offer advice on the following; i would like to use a dissapator style barrel (16" w/ rifle handguards) on my AR. Should i use the style offered by Model 1 with the CAR style gas tube setup or can a 20" bbl. be shortened to 16" and still use it`s gas system reliably? Thanks for your help.

16" Middy shown below.... the other handguards are off for this shot, but this should give you a rough idea.

The weapon as shown below is complete BCM.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Also check out SLR15 Commanders. Sully kept the Dissy alive till it was rediscovered. Last I checked you wasn't partial to middies, but that was based more on standardization then with the ideal.
    This is a Grail, but I have a Commander with a 12" DD Omaga Rail.

http://www.slr15rifles.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=60
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    Stick, did BCM make that barrel with the front sight already installed or did you have that done? I'm a big fan of the dissipator concept, but wish someone made it in a lightweight barrel with a midlength gas system.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    Stick, did BCM make that barrel with the front sight already installed or did you have that done? I'm a big fan of the dissipator concept, but wish someone made it in a lightweight barrel with a midlength gas system.

The way you see that upper is how it came, though I added the DD Omage rail myself. I did no wrenching on this weapon.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Point #1: Run, don't walk away from anything by Model 1, Del-Ton, Doublestar, DPMS, or Olympic (and read up THOROUGHLY before you consider a Bushmaster or Rock River).

Point #2: a 20" rifle barrel has a rifle-length gas system, which is unreliable when cut to less than 18"

Point #3: What these guys are saying: the midlength is what you want, you give up a tiny bit of sight radius to the dissipator configuration, but get a smoother running gun that's actually a little bit cheaper. There's a reason none of the reputable makers make Dissipators these days (edit: except, apparently, BCM, because they make everything :P).
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 09-08-10 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The way you see that upper is how it came, though I added the DD Omage rail myself. I did no wrenching on this weapon.
    I still want one of these...here's hoping Paul has intent of marketing them.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I still want one of these...here's hoping Paul has intent of marketing them.

I need to start posting more pictures of them to get the word out. I think when more people see pictures of the configuration that it currently is in (not the images shown), that they will lust for it in a bad way.

Here is another shot of the first one, just shown from a different angle.

Last edited by Stickman; 09-09-10 at 10:57.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I need to start posting more pictures of them to get the word out. I think when more people see pictures of the configuration that it currently is in (not the images shown), that they will lust for it in a bad way.

Here is another shot of the first one, just shown from a different angle.
    Awesome. All you need to do is post up a few pics of one wearing some rifle-length MOE's and you'll sell out the first batch

I still want one with a pinned Vltor flip front...
    --Josh H.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast