Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HSGI'S Taco Magazine Pouch

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    CXS,

I think an interesting test would be to break the kydex at the base, where it bends. If it fails, it will probably be at that point. I think the kydex may be the weakpoint of this design.

My other concern is dust, dirt, rain, etc coming in from the sides.

I like the concept so far, it is just the execution may need a bit of tweaking.
    The test was performed by Gene during development once Kydex was decided upon.
    The broken (Snipped with shears) Kydex side piece remained attached at the top by the Shock-Cord running through it. Non-Lugged magazines still allowed a smooth extraction and insertion. Locking Lug Mags also had no issues, but seem to carry more "fear factor" of a failure of the pouch even though no failure occurred. If one did I could see it being with an AK Magazine.
    I sent an email to one of the Industry Testers and asked very simply "Broke one yet?" he replied back "Negative. I highly doubt they can be broken. Worn out, maybe, but only after they exceed their EOL."
    I'll sacrifice one of my Test Sample Taco's to show a little video of it being abused and this Kydex test run on it.
    If something does happen to it though, HSGI has a Lifetime Warranty on all their products.

On the Dirt/Dust issue the very first Test samples Gene sent out were to Army Snipers and have been hard used in the field for the past 2 month. The Soldiers used the Taco while Low Crawling, positive results all around.

If you have any suggestions on Tweaking the pouch for the better, please lemme know so I can relay it to Gene. This pouch has been through so many little changes since first conception a long while ago. The way the pouch is now has the most Positive features with the least Negative. Every time a change was made, the ratio of +to- is shifted. This version shown was the best ratio. But if somebody does come up with something Gene hasn't thought of yet, it could make this pouch even better.

If you would like 2 to play with, I can send you two of my personal ones. I would actually appreciate your opinion once you get hands on with it.

CXS

Feedback Score
    Sponjah

Just got my lot in, and was trying to thread one up for use when I went out with the National Guard folks last weekend...I spent about 20 minutes trying to thread one...I got frustrated and quit.

Any mojo that works?
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    tim,
    take it completely apart. unthread the shock cord. then put it back on, but start it on the front instead of the back. it seems to help a lot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CXS,

Thanks for the reply. If the pouches are available for sale, I can buy a few for testing.

As for other things to try in it, what about a PVS14? Not so much as a primary pouch, but a backup pouch maybe. I am looking for a good radio pouch for my ICOM handheld, which is smaller than the mil radios.

I am also concerned with high temperatures. For instance, if you stick a large mag in the pouch and leave it inside a vehicle in our 120 degree temperatures, will the kydex soften and "set" to the shape of the mag? Maybe this can be replicated in an oven.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Sponjah

Just got my lot in, and was trying to thread one up for use when I went out with the National Guard folks last weekend...I spent about 20 minutes trying to thread one...I got frustrated and quit.

Any mojo that works?

It took me a hour, a flat tip screwdriver, and a lot of cursing to mount 2 on my molle belt

Feedback Score
    Tim
    A Multi-Tool helps. You should have 5 on your Armor Carrier and another 13 in every BoB/EDC.
    As calico stated you can run the Shock-Cord reversed.
    It does help with mounting when not layering more pouches on the front of the Taco.
    I kept mine as they came from HSGI.
    I added pouches to the outside of the Tacos, reversing the Shock-Cord would be a moot point for me.
    So far the only thing I'm looking down upon is how tight they are with the MALICE Clips.
    If the middle Row of webbing on the back had "extra" room in the channel, I think it would solve this issue.

iNinja.
    I will try the Oven test.
    But IIRC Kydex has a thermoforming point of 300* F.
    I do not have a PVS-14 on hand at the moment.
    And what are the dimensions of your ICOM?

CXS
    Last edited by custom-x_sponjah; 09-14-09 at 13:26.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    iraq ninja. i have a yeasu vx-150 which is pretty much the next to smallest ham radio out there. it fits perfectly in this pouch, with the exception of the microphone jack is covered by the kydex.

Feedback Score
    I inserted the Taco with AK Magazine into a 170* Oven for 15 minutes, nothing happened. My house smells like cosmoline now, and the mag was hot to the touch, but the Kydex was not compromised.. If the odor wasn't so strong, Id have went higher in temperature. I will try higher temperatures when my roommates aren't home.

CXS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by custom-x_sponjah View Post
    Tim
    A Multi-Tool helps. You should have 5 on your Armor Carrier and another 13 in every BoB/EDC.
    Also
    Take a pair of needle nose pliers, Insert into the middle Row of PALS and pull the handles apart stretching the Channel.

CXS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Saiga mags

Has anyone tried Saiga-12 magazines? I'd have to measure when I get home tonight, but I think they're a bit wider than most .308 mags, plus they have the AK-style lugs.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast