Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "fanny pack" for home use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know you said your neighbors are unlikely to think the fanny pack is odd, but...really? If I saw one of my neighbors out in PJs and a fanny pack, the first thing I'd think is "Freak." Then I would have a sort of aha moment and realize it was a gun. I would expect cops responding to a call would think gun right off the bat.

You said a windbreaker type jacket is not going to work for you, but have you considered a robe, which wouldn't look out of place at all, or a windbreaker as a cover garment over a gun belt or one of the chest rigs somebody linked to? I would think that might be a decent combination of fast and inconspicuous. Plus, that might allow you to duplicate your day-to-day carry position and avoid having to learn a new skill set.

These are just some thoughts I had as I was reading the post and thinking about how I might do it myself. Thanks for starting the thread and getting me thinking about it at all.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I live in an area where things that I never thought would get a sideways glance have become topics of gossip for months and things that I was outraged about have gone unnoticed.

At least two of the neighbors walk their dogs wearing fag bags, which I've noticed more and more since starting this thread. Yes, I'm certain of what both of them have in the bags as one of them is retired FBI, but nobody else seems to think anything of it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry a "fag bag" as you call it with me all the time.

Mine is intentionally as "metro" as I could find. I want whomever sees it to think fashion freak not Glock 29.

I have mine organized with a flat piece of kydex that I screwed different holsters and sheaths on to.

I'd take a picture of the set up but I want it to remain as "grey" as possible.

For a night time/ PJ's setup I like where you are headed.

Maybe a holster that only grabs the bezel of the flashlight might be the best way to secure the gun in the fanny pack? I assume you want a holster to index the draw?

Chris

Feedback Score
    JMO, but I like the idea, well enough that i bought and set an old Second Chance fag bag up just like Ayoob had mentioned in an article, plus I like the idea and still do of having at lest a level 2 chest shield pull out to slip over the head, keep it by the bed with a set of electronic ears and light
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know it sounds corny, but maybe someone knows the answer.

Ever watch "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford? Sam Gerrard, the US marshall had what appears to be a fanny pack that had velcro closures. He basically rips it open with a tab and had access to his back up gun. (in the water drain scene) Everything I've seen thus far is zippered. Anyone seen anything with a velcro closure? It may have been part of his vest, but it seems if it were actually a quick connect belt like a fanny pack, it'd be the cats arse for getting to a weapon in a fanny pack type deal rather quickly.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only Velcro closure fanny packs I know of are made by Uncle Mikes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The old Desantis "Gunnysack" used velcro; I don't know if they still make it. It was the first gun fanny pack I had (and I've been through several since).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rob,

I think many are not completely understanding what you're looking for. I think you have a great idea and I think that a waist bag will work where a shoulder bag will not.

I've only seen the Hawkepak mentioned once and then not discussed. I think it looks like a great option.

I'll probably try something like this when the time comes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Project is under way with the arrival of the custom Raven holster insert last week (it's velcro-backed as well). More to follow.

Last edited by rob_s; 12-03-09 at 06:29.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I wear this when I run. Holds ID, cell phone, and keys in front compartment. Ruger LCR goes into same holster (DeSantis Nemesis) that I can put into either front pants pocket. Tactical navy blue color a plus.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678