Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "fanny pack" for home use?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    rob_s - American Handgunner had an article last year with just what you are looking for:

http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/...UCT_ID=Model40

I would grab one in a minute, except way to expensive plus the long lead time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt7184 View Post
    I've been using a Camelbak Goblin (H2O bladder removed) as my Gym bag and for this exact purpose. It has plenty of space to hold a compact handgun, spare mags, lights, etc. I also use the top strap to hook anything else on (such as keys).

http://www.policelink.com/products/p...ak-goblin-pack
    Except that Camelbak no longer makes them. They discontinued them last year.
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    why not just have a mapbag or medkit bag or even a small atache-style brief case.. the medkit bag, in the snake scenario, wouldn't have aroused any suspicions- you were coming to give aid.

Feedback Score
    Rob,
    For similar reasons/purposes (e.g. in pajamas (which won't support a paddle holster, I've tested it!), situation which doesn't seem to justify a long gun, desire for low profile, etc), I've picked up one of the Wilderness Safepacker holster/bags with a shoulder strap. Just got it so am going to try to see how well it seems it would work for this sort of application. I like the "grab and go" concept of a bag like it -- even if I slept in jeans with a riggers belt, I'd have to clip in the holster, mag pouches, flashlight, etc to have the same items as just grabbing the bag would provide.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    Rob,
    For similar reasons/purposes (e.g. in pajamas (which won't support a paddle holster, I've tested it!), situation which doesn't seem to justify a long gun, desire for low profile, etc), I've picked up one of the Wilderness Safepacker holster/bags with a shoulder strap. Just got it so am going to try to see how well it seems it would work for this sort of application. I like the "grab and go" concept of a bag like it -- even if I slept in jeans with a riggers belt, I'd have to clip in the holster, mag pouches, flashlight, etc to have the same items as just grabbing the bag would provide.

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

I have this setup, but it is made by eagle and you can carry it like a backpack. I have a G19 and spare mag. It has room for other stuff too. I like it.

I also like the SneakyBag and have a second on the way. They are very versatile and well made.
    Last edited by Fringe; 09-03-09 at 10:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just to kind of recap here...

I'm looking for something that :
    1) Gets the gun out of the hands
    2) Conceals the gun until needed
    3) Attaches to the body without a need to hold it in hand
    4) Can carry at least a spare magazine and hand held light
    5) Can holster the pistol with a weaponlight attached

While I acknowledge that the fanny pack is going to be slower to access, and especially so one-handed, I think that for my intended use it is the best option to concede that loss of speed to have the gun concealed and the ability to carry a few other small ancillary items.

Now the question is who is making them these days, and especially one that will hold the pistol with a light attached.

Feedback Score
    Rob... Try maxpedition.com, they have versipacks( best bet IMO)waistpacks, active shooter bags, gearslingers etc...
    I saw a few items on there that would fit your intended use...
    Fatboy
    Proteus
    Thermite
    Colossus
    Octa
    Manta
    Sabercat
    Remora
    Jumbo
    Jeroboam(small)
    Sitka???
    Last edited by BLACK LION; 09-03-09 at 12:49.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Would have suggested a versipack as well, but if concealment is any kind of concern, that would be a deal killer. Had a gal working for me out in Iraq last year who kept her Glock in a versipack and it worked well for her. So much so that I picked a very large one up to use as a camera bag.

I have a fanny pack that we train a few folks on here, but believe it's the Galco one that has already mentioned. With a bit of practice it can be fast, but it would still involve a bit of time, and so far has proven to be useful only for G26 sized guns. I'll dig it out tonight to confirm whether it's a Galco or something else. The fanny pack does allow you to drop a shirt over it and conceal the entire thing if necessary, but I just don't know that it's an ideal solution to the problem Rob is trying to address.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Concealment in the sense of going to the mall and walking around isn't the goal here. It would never leave my yard. I'm just not wanting the gun itself in plain view. In the snake story, the teenage boca-brats would have just thought I was some weird old dude with a bunch of tats that might be gay, they would never make it for a gun pouch, and most of the neighbors (their parents) wouldn't either.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Several years ago I picked this up from Blackhawk. It can be worn as a traditional "fanny pack" or by extending the length of the belt further, as a sort of "man-purse"...

Last edited by FlyAndFight; 09-03-09 at 13:12. Reason: crop picture size
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast