Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle Tactics

Feedback Score
    Moved
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 09-22-10 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just stumbled onto this thread but will be back. Picking up good tips and will try to leave a few also.

Thanks, Keith

Feedback Score

A Helicopter Pilots perspective

During Sept. 2005 I was flying a helicopter for KRIV/Fox 26 in Houston,TX and we were covering the largest evacuation ever in Texas if not in the US.

Every highway and secondary road was packed. Even with Law Enforcement allowing the southbound lanes of I45 to travel northbound,traffic was lucky to move at 3 to 5MPH in most places. They only things really moving were motorcycles

For me if I would either leave as early as possible or just shelter in place. If I had to "Bug Out" I would try to do so after the fact.

We evacuated to San Antonio and flew back to West Houston hours after Rita made landfall. Hardly anything was moving after the fact.

I talked with a couple latter in the day in Huntsville,TX north of Houston. They told me it took them 18 hrs to move 50 miles and that they ran out of gas along the side of the road.

Like I said i think I would shelter in place and be prepared to move after the event if needed.

Feedback Score

Updated my BOV

I recently purcahsed a used but not abused Dodge Durango SLT 4X4with a 4.7 V-8...as my families Bug Out Vehicle. I like the fact that it is a four wheel drive (I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it)
    Since my bug out plans now include the addition of my two adult daughters and a 3-month old as well as a 3-year old Grandson...the 8-passenger capability is a huge plus as well.
    I intend to add a luggage rack as well as an addition of a Hitch Haul so I do not have to depend upon a trailer to carry essentials.
    As for Highway Tactics...I am very familiar with every back road and cow path leading out of my area of town. I happen to live within 1-mile of the city limits, and two miles of two major highway arteries.
    The only real choke points I forsee that could create problems are the Water resevoir for one of the Power Plants, that would require crossing via state controlled bridges.
    As for firearms...the Glock 17 and S&W Model 13 in .357 would be in the center console...as both my daughters know how to shoot I would keep the 870 Special Purpose loaded with slugs and one of the carbines within easy reach.
    I'll add one last thing for those who drive Vehicles with an Automatic Transmission....Install a quality Transmission Cooler to the vehicle...In the long run you will be happy that you did.
    Last edited by rat31465; 09-18-10 at 10:33. Reason: added information
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    I live in an area which is pretty hilly with lots of bridges spanning large rivers. I'd be concerned with traveling these bridges during a SHTF situation. Just not sure how safe they would be structurally and also from ambush. For me, a boat may be a good alternative for bugging out?
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Just for interest.

There was an accident on the I-4 yesterday, northbound, around the Maitland area, two lanes closed one still open, just before rush hour.

It was taking people 1.5 hours to move around 8 miles from central Orlando to the point after the accident.

All the side roads leading to the alternative, 17/92, were snarled up, as was the 17/92.

And that was probably less than a quarter of the cars that would hit the road if something big happened.

Feedback Score
    Let's bring this thread back to life... Lockers make a lot of difference in rugged terrain. Here we see me going up a steep hill at the Badlands Off Road Park. At first I thought it was nothing because it has concrete poured down it. Turns out the sandy mud that was all over it from previous vehicles made it impossible. Once I hit the locker switches (I have dual ARB Air Lockers) we were golden. I then had to use my 9,000 lb truck as a winch anchor for my buddy who's Jeep did not have lockers.

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Let's bring this thread back to life... Lockers make a lot of difference in rugged terrain. Here we see me going up a steep hill at the Badlands Off Road Park. At first I thought it was nothing because it has concrete poured down it. Turns out the sandy mud that was all over it from previous vehicles made it impossible. Once I hit the locker switches (I have dual ARB Air Lockers) we were golden. I then had to use my 9,000 lb truck as a winch anchor for my buddy who's Jeep did not have lockers.
    What all upgrades have you done to your f250 and what year is it? You can PM me if you like.
    TIA

Feedback Score
    1999 F-250 Super Duty. Here is a build thread. http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=332590
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213