Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle Tactics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In my part of the country it will be nearly impossible to drive off road (truly offroad). You will be constantly battling fences, hedges, and drainage ditches making passage painfully slow to impossible.

The best tool in my AO is a Delorme atlas and gazetteer, which shows every little road in the state. Ohio is lucky to have a huge network of county roads that make traveling across the state possible without hardly ever driving on a state, federal, or interstate route.

Those patchworks of country roads will become salvation as the sheeple clog the main arteries in no time flat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Ohio is lucky to have a huge network of county roads that make traveling across the state possible without hardly ever driving on a state, federal, or interstate route.

Those patchworks of country roads will become salvation as the sheeple clog the main arteries in no time flat.
    And in most counties they are simple to navigate. Many counties have numbered roads going north-south and lettered roads going east-west. In Williams County for instance if you were at the intersection of county road 9 and county road k you would be 9 miles from the western border of the county (Indiana/Ohio state line) and 11 miles from the southern edge of the county.
    Last edited by Dale Gribble; 08-09-10 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    My biggest decision is which vehicle to keep. After the divorce I ended up with a 03 excursion 4x4 6.0L and a 06 liberty 4x4 CRD. The both have pros/cons, but I have to get rid of one.

Besides, I am thinking more along the lines of a regional SHTF than TEOTWAKI. I dont feel the east coast is a place you want to be in case of TEOTWAKI, and I dont get to choose where I am stationed.

Feedback Score
    Anybody else think procuring a horse might be a great option??

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I'd rather have a dirt bike. It's on my SHTF Shopping list actually. You only feed it when you use it and you don't have to clean up after it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    I'd rather have a dirt bike. It's on my SHTF Shopping list actually. You only feed it when you use it and you don't have to clean up after it.
    Dirt bikes require fuel you can't make yourself. That was kinda why I suggested a horse.

Feedback Score
    Dirt bikes require fuel you can't make yourself. That was kinda why I suggested a horse.
    If you got the land and fencing and willing to do the up keep shots, shoeing , saddling so on an so on because I know there others thing I forgot about. I lot of work goes into horses more than I am willing to do.

Feedback Score
    I was driving to work the other day and considered what gun would I have up front with me. I have a jeep Cherokee sport and it would be cramped with my family inside. Of course would have a pistol on me, but not having an sbr, I would probably favor my 870. Due to the good chance of some close in work. Off subject a bit, but it came to mind. Looking to upgrade to a Tacoma pretty soon. I do have several empty cargo bins ready if a bug out presents itself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    If you got the land and fencing and willing to do the up keep shots, shoeing , saddling so on an so on because I know there others thing I forgot about. I lot of work goes into horses more than I am willing to do.
    Which is why I said "procure" a horse. In a SHTF scenario you could easily (at least in this area) find abandoned horses, or maybe someone willing to part with a horse or two in exchange for ammo, food, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not as fast, BUT a whole lot quieter. Hopefully fuel would be around depending on where and time of year, something to think about. For some it might not be a bad idea to get around horses and learn some about them. Never know what could happen, or need to happen.

No, IMO, it's not a bad idea.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast