Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle Tactics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zushwa View Post
    I've seen these threads often turn into "a burly 4x4 with gas cans and luggage racks" kind of mentality. The reality is people are going to bug out in what they drive every day. Can we take the type of vehicle into consideration?? Sure. I'd personally like to discuss how to maintain ANY vehicle and what to take with us in an emergency. I'd also like to discuss movement and travel considerations during multiple types of scenarios.

I saw somewhere, could have been here, where someone had a pallet of gear and goods in his garage and when it was time to go he just lifted the pallet into his truck or trailer and off he went. I thought that was an excellent idea. You can manage and maintain the "pallet" and still have use of your vehicle. I think this mentality has a ton of merit. I dont think it has to be a pallet. It could just be a tough box or a duffle, etc. Obviously the space you have and the number of people you must account for play a role in the decision making. What I like about this concept is you can have some bare essentials for on the road emergencies (first line and second line mentality) and then have your "third line" pre-staged and ready to go. I'm all about scalability, whether it's your personal survival gear, fighting gear, or vehicle gear.

Thoughts?

Good points. I right now do not have the funds to buy a seperate bug out vehicle. so I will be using either my wifes Grand Am or my 86 Suburban (aka tank) depending on the situation. right now my bug out scenario if needed is to load my little black trunk of paced gear into the desired vehicle & loading some extra water & food & hitting the road. However more than likely if possible where I am now I wourld prefer to bug in. I a few miles outside a very small town an hour away from any major cities in a small group of people. But if the need arises I do not have a dedicated vehicle. Sure the Grand Am is a little more fuel efficient but the Sub. will go about anywhere & hauls a crap ton of people & gear at about 12 mpg.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    My rig is a 1993 Suburban 4X4 with a 454 engine. It has a 42 gal (420 miles) capacity and ability to carry a refill on the roof.

I'm currently buying a 26ft trailer to hook to it as I'm bugging to another city 300 miles away or another state so a pre packed trailer I can live in seems like a pretty good idea.

Funny how no one want to bug out with a trailer because they see bugging out as MADMAX scenarios.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    Funny how no one want to bug out with a trailer because they see bugging out as MADMAX scenarios.
    I actually like the Idea but because of all the Horses and Dogs we have, my wife and I decided to bug in instead of bugging out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We have two vehicles right now that could possibly serve to GTFO of Dodge - my daily driven Mazdaspeed 3 and my project Isuzu Trooper. Of the two, obviously the Trooper is the more "traditional" BOV - 4WD, tough, good space, simple - but it's not all about that. Depending on where you live in this country, being able to tick along at 155mph on abandoned desert roads may well be a more viable option than being able to crawl over sand dunes. IF you can get out early enough with good warning, give me a fast, stable road car with space and good range over a thirsty four wheeler. If you want both, get a Subaru WRX STI or Mitsubishi Evo X. In a true bug out scenario my MS3 will probably be the go to vehicle, and it will have the snow tires on it. I drive it every day and I trust it a hell of a lot more than the Isuzu.

Feedback Score
    The pallet idea is slick, my GTFO of dodge kit is loaded in those PX special black footlockers currently.

My personal opinion is that taking a high speed precision driving/and an offroad course will put you waaaay ahead of the power curve should you need to unass your AO.

Anyone have recommendations on good quality flatbed trailers? Something suitable for minor offroad use would be nice. I need to haul an ATV/and snowmobile(dont own it yet)and as much kit as i can load onto said trailer. Tow vehicle is a 2006 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 cummins turbo diesel.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by 03humpalot; 09-04-09 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zushwa View Post
    I've seen these threads often turn into "a burly 4x4 with gas cans and luggage racks" kind of mentality. The reality is people are going to bug out in what they drive every day. Can we take the type of vehicle into consideration?? Sure. I'd personally like to discuss how to maintain ANY vehicle and what to take with us in an emergency. I'd also like to discuss movement and travel considerations during multiple types of scenarios.
    Agreed. Let's not do the Mad Max, TEOTWAWKI, zombie BS.

Same question applies here as with other stuff... What does the widget (in this case, a vehicle) have to accomplish?

If all you've got is a Chevy Malibu, what do you do?

Most folks will need to leave because of relatively common disaster scenarios, and usually have some amount of notice to do so. Looking at the various hurricane evacuation scenarios is useful here. In those, drivers that had problems ran out of gas, overheated their vehicles, had flats, or had other maintenance problems. Extra fuel, water, two real spares, and some hose/belt and simple improv repair parts are useful.

Blizzards, floods, post-disaster favor ground clearance and four wheel drive. Same other considerations apply.

The ability to go cross country off road isn't a bad thing, but the need to do so is overestimated, as is the liklihood of success. Look around as you travel and think about how realistic it is. If you're headed for the hills on forest service roads to bug-in in the trees, fine. If you're trying to get from City A to City B, not so much.

All of the above would benefit from tow straps and accessory lighting.

Having a haligan, pry bar, saws, hatchet, come-a-longs, bolt cutters, etc are handy should you need to clear obstacles.

I like the idea of pulling a small camper if you'll stay on the roads. Home on wheels, wherever you end up.

Above all else, keeping whatever you have in good repair is essential. I appreciate the realities of time and budget. There's little room for "I meant to take care of that" for most folks, though. Especially those that live where mother nature likes to roar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    The pallet idea is slick, my GTFO of dodge kit is loaded in those PX special black footlockers currently.

My personal opinion is that taking a high speed precision driving/and an offroad course will put you waaaay ahead of the power curve should you need to unass your AO.

Anyone have recommendations on good quality flatbed trailers? Something suitable for minor offroad use would be nice. I need to haul an ATV/and snowmobile(dont own it yet)and as much kit as i can load onto said trailer. Tow vehicle is a 2006 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 cummins turbo diesel.

Any help appreciated.
    I think sourcing a small, easy to tow, trailer would be a great idea. It probably wouldn't be too expensive and would have little impact on ones day to day life.

Anyone?
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why are we bugging out? Earthquake, hurricane, gas leak or riots, mayhem, invasion, etc?

I have the 4X4 and camper to tow behind but would only go that route if I absolutely had to. We live in a semi-rural area and have the security and resources to stay put. Heading out into the unknown would definitely increase risk.

I think the key to the situation is timing. If you get out before things get too crazy then about anything will do. Near the middle or end when panic has struck and its pretty much every man for himself then your vehicle may need to be something that resembles a tank or armored Hummer.

The ability to go off-road definitely gives you more options. A 4x4, motorcycle, ATV, horse, or even a horse can give you that capability. Setting out on foot with a good pack would be the stealthiest.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 23:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Stewie View Post

Those are just some thoughts and considerations that I have pondered over, hopefully they turn some lightbulbs on over someones head.

DOC
    You are the man. Thanks.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast