Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle Tactics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    4wd Is very nice but it isn't a must have Let me duck out the way the muds flying literally I live in AL and if you have ever heard the term Georgia red clay its also Alabama red clay. You can go many places and go through all most as much mud holes in a 2wd with [REAL MUD TIRES and a limited slip is good to have also] Most important is to have real MUD TIRES not A/T tires. I have seen many times were a 2WD with TRUE MUD TIRES go in places that was thought only 4WD could go. It is trickery to do it usually you are spinning like mad and shooting rooster tails but it can be done of course it would be wise you try it before the SHTF situation show that you do have some practical experience in doing it .
    True mud tire's eject the mud from the tread [self cleaning if you think of it] where as A/T are no were near as good. 4 WD nice but it can be done with a 2WD with the Correct tires and some experience
    LET THE MUD SLINGING COMMENCE
    Yep, grew up in dirt, mud, and sand in the middle of the Red Dessert. My Dad use to catch so much sh@t for not having a 4wd truck, and only having a rear wheel 450. In all of my life that dude never got stuck to the point where he needed to get pulled out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zushwa View Post
    I've seen these threads often turn into "a burly 4x4 with gas cans and luggage racks" kind of mentality. The reality is people are going to bug out in what they drive every day. Can we take the type of vehicle into consideration?? Sure. I'd personally like to discuss how to maintain ANY vehicle and what to take with us in an emergency. I'd also like to discuss movement and travel considerations during multiple types of scenarios.
    This is where I want this thread to go too. I could post that I want one of the 6 wheel UN vehicles they are using in the Sudan right now, but that's not the point of this thread!

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    I actually like the Idea but because of all the Horses and Dogs we have, my wife and I decided to bug in instead of bugging out.
    yep, I live in NE Indiana, worst weather we get is Tornado's and the every 100yr flood that gets us 30ft ABOVE flood stage....and even then, living 3miles from the river like I do, a good 100ft above ANY flood plain, I dont have to worry about it. I dont have to go far to get to family either as the family stayed in 1 general spot(within 1mile of each other). And between my parents and I, plus my cousin and my grandparents we own just over 2000acres that we farm and 200-300acres of that is hunting ground(un-farmable/wooded/creek bottom)

I think we are good to go on just staying right where we are.....

But, if I had to have a BOV, Id go with the 67 GMC that we have as our farm truck. its a 3/4ton 4speed Manual 4x4. Its been in the family since it was new. We've used it to push over good sized trees, and to haul 1000 bushel grain wagons. Doesnt get the best of fuel mileage but its never let us down.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 09-04-09 at 20:35.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    What it looks like as of late is that each of these threads spawns into a new one. I would say that the decision to stay or go could be a separate thread altogether. This one is about leaving, and vehicle considerations, once we've decided to go.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    1. In a survival situation I count on nobody but myself, this is not the military. People are flakey, that's a fact of life. Make plans that only include you and your very, very immediate family.
    2. It's easier & safer to just stay in your home, buggin' out has a rather slim chance of success as there are so many variables.
    3. Time to unsubscribe from these bugout threads...reading some of them is like watching a science fiction movie. I can already see Joe Schmoe at home spending half an hour to load all his guns and ammo into the Suburban while calling and trying to get a hold of the other 12 people all of which are in the same survival unit. Finally after everybody arrived 5 hours later, they need to load up the 800 pound survival pallet into the SUV or onto a trailer which would make getting around harder. Once everything is ready to go, they need to stop at a gas station because half the vehicles they have are running on empty. Once they finally get to the gas station, it is already closed because they ran out of gas...5 hours earlier they still would have had gas. Trying to find another gas station one of the vehicles has 2 flat tires but no big deal, they just use the spare on the vehicle and another similar sized spare from another vehicle....after a couple hundred miles if the vehicle which received the mix and match spare has limited slip, it will burn up the differential or mess up something else because of difference in tire size. Once they finally arrive at their bug-out location they hear in the radio that the Hurricane wasn't that bad after all but it doesn't matter as they NEED to Bug out for sure now because the Home traffic has every road jammed up. Good thing they loaded up all that gear!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    3. Time to unsubscribe from these bugout threads...reading some of them is like watching a science fiction movie.
    It will only get that way if we let it.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739

Feedback Score
    Most of these threads either start out or end in the SHTF/total nuclear/zombie/alien attack/total break down of society, with an instant need to be armed like a seal team with your kids manning the sniper turrets while you load the vehicle so you can all make it to the promised land.

Feedback Score
    Great post Doc.

I got a suggestion to check these trailers out (Fills my needs currently).
    http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/tent-trailer.cfm

Feedback Score
    I fail to see the point of towing a TENT! That is just a tent, but you have to tow it, WTF. I can understand towing a pop-up camper which has normal camper stuff in it but that thing is nothing more than a tent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    I fail to see the point of towing a TENT! That is just a tent, but you have to tow it, WTF. I can understand towing a pop-up camper which has normal camper stuff in it but that thing is nothing more than a tent.
    Negative. Click on the links and see its utility. It has the features Mr. humpalot requested plus a tent.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast