Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to front strap checkering

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question Alternative to front strap checkering

I was at the range today with my 1911 and when my hand started to sweat I started to loose grip on my gun...accuracy went to sh$t.
    It's a Warrior which for some odd reason has a smooth front strap...way to go on that one Marine Corps!

I can not afford to get it checkered and then refinished right now. Can someone let me know what a good alternative would be.
    I want to know what you used, how much it costs, and where you got it...maybe a picture too.

I was also thinking about getting some of Jerry Barnhart’s "Burner Grips" but like I said I need something semi-solid for the front strap area to last maybe a year or so.
    Thanks
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is what I'm thinking:

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/B...P1239C121.aspx

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/J...P1244C121.aspx

Or can someone recommend a cheaper or more solid method?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I use the grip tape on my Glocks. I bought about a 1' x 3' strip of it at a sporting goods store, intended for use on the deck of a skateboard. They even had fancy colors (I got black, but my wife's Glock has pink ) I think it was like 7 bucks for a big chunk. Try a skate shop and they'll hook you up.

As a matter of fact, how much do you need? Just enough for a 1911 front strap? I've got plenty left over, PM me your address and I'll send you an envelope sized chunk -- that oughta be good for several applications worth.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    PM Sent!

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    After you use the Skateboard tape (great interim option), start saving your pennies to send your gun to Steve Morrison at MARS Armaments for his golf ball treatment. It is the best texturing treatment I have find on a 1911.
    "Cpl ##### is condescending and abrassive towards coworks who don't follow directions" my favorite evaluation quote........if I'm like that at work, you should see me on the internet .

"Even if I order you to trim your mustache, you're going to totally ignore me, huh".-another favorite supervisor "discussion".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti
    After you use the Skateboard tape (great interim option), start saving your pennies to send your gun to Steve Morrison at MARS Armaments for his golf ball treatment. It is the best texturing treatment I have find on a 1911.
    Do you have a picture?

Wilson Combat offers front strap checkering for $175, under trigger guard checkering for $100, and front of trigger guard for $75...seems too damn expensive to me.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I mill the underside of the grips and extend the tape under so it's super clean and doesn't come up. Works great and IMO feels better than checkering.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Madryan,

What kind of tape is that, how much did you mil out of the grips?

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    When I still had my 1911s, I was using 3M grip tape from Home Depot. I prefered the grip of this to checkering.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    +1 on skateboard tape - cheap, grippy but not too abrasive, easy to replenish or totally remove. If OSHA inspects your pistol, they will slap you on the back. I did not have to mill my grips out. I initially slapped a strip on there, but it looked sloppy and didn't cover the entire strap. I cut a larger piece, removed the panels (ORM 1991 black rubber pony-panels) and ran the tape from edge to edge then replaced the grips, additionally securing the tape.

I put this tape on both 1911's and my Spyderco Police, which has no texturing of its own.

I've kicked around getting those skateboard grips from Falcon grips-almost the entire surface would be no-slip.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast