Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lookin at gettin another 1911

Feedback Score

Lookin at gettin another 1911

I've been bitten by the 1911 bug... my dad bought a 1991a1 a while ago that we shoot a lot but, i want one for my self now.

I like the 1991a1 that he has but, its really a very basic gun, im lookin for something maybe a step up. also, im open to looking at other brands. I dont need a match quality $2400 dollar custom 1911. I just want one that will run right from the factory or with very little tuning.

Right now im looking at the colt xse series, a springfield Loaded and the kimber raptor II.

of these, which is honestly the best pistol for the money? has kimber gotten their qc shit together yet or are their pistols still hit or miss? also, ive read on here of problems with kimbers finish wearing off, is this still the case?

Feedback Score
    Of those three, I would get the Springfield Loaded.

But outside, I would strongly consider a Baer TRS from John at ProLoad, or a used Wilson CQB. I own both of these and they are outstanding. Did I mention that Wilson now offers their guns in a lovely blue finish?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you're getting a Kimber, I wouldn't look farther than the Custom II, TLE II or TLE/RL II if you want a rail. Or the stainless versions of the above, if you so desire.

Above that in the Kimber line, you're paying more and not really getting much.

Here was my Custom II after almost 3 years, about 8,000 rounds and several pistol courses. The finish on the frame was much tougher than the finish on the slide. The finish on the slide sucked ass, lots of wear, lots of rust when IWB carrying in the heat. The finish on the frame hardly wore at all and never rusted.

Last edited by 87GN; 09-04-09 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    IMHO, Springfield.

If you want a Kimber, I'd look for a used Series I platform. DO NOT fall for the newer Warrior just because it says it's a S1 layout. If you ask me, the actual USMC Det. 1 ICQB blasters were the last proper guns Kimber made.

As mentioned before, keep a good eye out for a used Wilson Combat CQB.

Feedback Score
    I'd stay away from the Kimber. I've had two. The first one had to be exchanged for the second one and I ended up trading the second one to a friend. Unfortunately, it later became a problem child for him. I've heard and read various things about Kimber that discuss the situation with their pistols, but from my point of view I had two and both turned out to be disappointing.

Also, if you get a Kimber, make sure to read the manual. The Kimber pistols use the Schwartz safety system. It has never happened to me, but it is possible to shear off the part of during reassembly if one is holding the grip safety. If one does it, the part can no longer make contact with the firing pin block (to move it out of the way) and the gun will not work properly.

I know the Springfield is a popular option but I think a lightly used Wilson CQB is really the best way to go.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Ofthose listed Springfield loaded, Me I would look at Cylinder and Slide R&D 1911. C&S use a Springfield Milspec as the platform and replace all of the firing control parts with their tool steel parts (NO MIM parts on pistol period), perform trigger job, lower ejection port, throat barrel, add NM bushing (fitted), fit bevertail grip safety, C&S extended thumb safety, Novak front, and rear sights, stipple front and back straps, and refinish. all of this for $1800 nothing you dont need.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Springer Loaded, or lightly used Springer TRP

Feedback Score
    The Kimber Warrior does not use the Schwartz safety system.
    It does have MIM parts as do all Kimbers.
    Dan Wesson has all forged parts and Ed Brown beaver tail which allows the highest grip angle out of all beaver tail grips.
    Springfield uses a priority beaver tail grip radius cut.

IMHO a Dan Wesson pointman7 would fit your requirements the best .
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 09-04-09 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    From a practical stand point, why a 1911? I'm a big fan of them, but don't own one. I may get a custom job one day, just to have one on board for nostalgic reasons, since that was the first auto I learned to fire.

It takes too much to keep it reliable and running. There's an excellent trainer (LAV) who's famous at saying "The 1911 is an enthusiast's gun". He also doesn't have any love for the compacts. Too unreliable. This is from an individual that's probably fired more .45 ammo being a Delta Operator and Firearms instructor for them, than anyone alive, and he used to make custom 1911 builds for members of that unit and for sale to the general public.

IMHO, you'd be better served with an M&P midsized. It has the full sized grip, with 10 round cap mags. It will be cheaper and way more reliable. Out of my M&Ps, the .40 and full sized .45 are my favorites. I have shot the crap out of them. The .45 has over 5K rounds through it and only gets cleaned ever 2K rounds fired or so. Just lubed. It's a very durable, accurate, mild shooting and inexpensive option. Bud's gunshop has them on sale this month for around $500.00 and change, with night sights. Try to compare the M&P45 and the 1911. Shoot them both, side by side, then decide.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 09-04-09 at 13:22.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    I've been bitten by the 1911 bug.
    I hope you weren't planning to retire anytime soon.

Good luck!

M_P

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast