Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Poor Man's" self defense ammo

Feedback Score

"Poor Man's" self defense ammo

OK, what's the best overall affordable (relative speaking) self defense 223 or 556 ammo? I know TAP is supposed to be some of the best, and I am not opposed to the cost of loading 5 or 6 mags with 75gr TAP.

BUT ... I'd like to be able to practice (at least some of the time) with the same ammo I'd use for self defense, and there is no way I can buy TAP for practice. Practice TAP seems pretty hard to find, and is it really the "same" as the regular TAP?

I currently have my self defense mags loads with 75gr Partizian PPU Match ammo, which seems accurate and shoot well in my rifles. Supposedly, the bullet design makes it a decent SD round. However, the primers are not sealed (big deal?) and the velocity is lower than the premium rounds (but from what I have read it's gotten better.) But it's hard to find, too.

Suggestions? I'd rather have the "next to the best" round than the best if it means I can practice with it ... I think practicing with the exact rounds you'd use for self defense is important.

Feedback Score
    On the cheap? I'd go with M193.

Feedback Score

Wink

I second the M193. It's a pretty nasty pill. As long as your not shooting cars and stuff. It's perfectly appropriate for two-legged folks. And on the cheap.

Feedback Score
    A lot of ammo claims to be M193 - any particular brands to stay away from? I have a lot of Guat surplus M193 and it's never failed to go bang, but I would imagine that new manufacture would certainly be a better choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
    I currently have my self defense mags loads with 75gr Partizian PPU Match ammo, which seems accurate and shoot well in my rifles. Supposedly, the bullet design makes it a decent SD round. However, the primers are not sealed (big deal?) and the velocity is lower than the premium rounds (but from what I have read it's gotten better.) But it's hard to find, too.

Suggestions? I'd rather have the "next to the best" round than the best if it means I can practice with it ... I think practicing with the exact rounds you'd use for self defense is important.
    I'd say you already have the "next to the best" round if you're trying to find something that performs well terminally but isn't cost-prohibitive to shoot with some regularity. The terminal performance of the Prvi round is very close to the 75 gr. Hornady TAP, including the short neck length.

The only reason I use the 5.56mm TAP is because one of my guns has a 10.5" barrel and it needs the extra velocity to perform. If I had only 14.5"+ guns I'd probably be using the Prvi round ... so that I could shoot it and not cry about dumping $1 every time I press the trigger.

Also, there is no reason why you can't zero for the 75 gr. load and then make note of your sight/optic adjustments to come back to M193 or similar for practice. That's what I do and it works fine.
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 09-06-09 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    I'd say you already have the "next to the best" round if you're trying to find something that performs well terminally but isn't cost-prohibitive to shoot with some regularity. The terminal performance of the Prvi round is very close to the 75 gr. Hornady TAP, including the short neck length.

The only reason I use the 5.56mm TAP is because one of my guns has a 10.5" barrel and it needs the extra velocity to perform. If I had only 14.5"+ guns I'd probably be using the Prvi round ... so that I could shoot it and not cry about dumping $1 every time I press the trigger.

Also, there is no reason why you can't zero for the 75 gr. load and then make note of your sight/optic adjustments to come back to M193 or similar for practice. That's what I do and it works fine.
    Thanks for the info - that's helpful.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    PRVI M193 or would make an excellent low cost defensive choice. I don't trust XM193 or Q3131 at all.

PRVI has a great reputation and is a true 5.56 ammo.

Feedback Score
    I'll toss this question out there too. Given the most likely self defense engagement distance is likely to be < 100 yards, and in the event of TEOTWAWKI I am most likely NOT going to be picked as the sniper on my block, what choice would be preferred:

1) Prvi M193
    2) Prvi 75 grain match ammo (since supposedly the bullet design is very similar to TAP ammo, so I have read)

Feedback Score
    I roll my own in 2 flavors -

75gr OTM at TAP FPD velocities, and 55gr FMJ at M193 velocities.

50yd/200m zero with the Aimpoint does not have enough difference that I worry about it.

With my ACOG, I zero with the 75gr (1" high at 100yd). At 100 yards, the 55gr will be about .6" higher. The increased muzzle velocity and more "loft" means the 55gr hits the point of aim at each holdover marker farther than the 75gr. In turn, the 75gr has a longer fragmentation range and is roughly half as susceptible to wind drift.

I could go with either of them without complaints, and I shoot both out of the same weapon with the same zero.

This lives inside the rear scope cap on my TA33:

Smaller numbers on the side are for deviation in inches with a full value 10mph crosswind. The whole thing is a combination of ballistics software, observed results, and chrono measurements.

Edited to add - Trijicon was kind enough to provide MOA values for the holdover points via email.
    Last edited by boltcatch; 09-18-09 at 19:18.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    [QUOTE=mmike87;448785]I'll toss this question out there too. Given the most likely self defense engagement distance is likely to be < 100 yards, and in the event of TEOTWAWKI I am most likely NOT going to be picked as the sniper on my block,

Get nominated and feel confident: Appleseedinfo.org At least feel confortable picking them off from 400 meters....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast