Thread: How can I get started in competion!?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How can I get started in competion!?

Firstly, I know I am off to a bad start because I am in Maryland. But here is where I am right now:

Last year I let my USPSA membership lapse after being a member for 2 year without ever shooting a round with the USPSA. Personally, I am fed up with the gun clubs in MD. I contacted my Area 8 rep for MD and he told me usual line about showing up at a USPSA event. I went to the range at Thurmont and more or less got treated like a second class citizen. The attitude I get from MD ranges is "you need us, we don't need you."

So, about two months ago I went to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore web site and attempted to join using their online form. I never heard back from them.

The Ft. Meade Rod and Gun Club is essentially worthless as are the DNR ranges in MD.

For the love of God, what does a guy have to do to find a decent place to practice in MD?

Seriously, what do I need to do here?

ToddG Guest
    Meade used to hold some pretty decent USPSA matches. In fact, I went to my very first match there back in the 90's. John Pepper (of Pepper popper fame) also used to hold a monthly event there that was invitation-only.

Anne Arundel Fish & Game has regular IDPA matches which are actually very well run. They're also very popular, however, and getting a slot for a weekend match can be hard.

Otherwise, my experience with ranges in MD is fairly slim. I got kicked out of Monocacy a couple years back because my behind the hip IWB holster was, and I quote, "inherently unsafe." I still have the email the club president sent me when I complained:
    There may be no specific rule at the Monocacy Pistol Club to stop your holster, but it is not safe enough for our ranges.

And that, folks, is why I drive through Beltway traffic 2-4 times per week to shoot at the NRA Range in Fairfax.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Im sure it will be only a matter of time till they kick you off that range as well.

Copperfield

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Firstly, I know I am off to a bad start because I am in Maryland. But here is where I am right now:

Last year I let my USPSA membership lapse after being a member for 2 year without ever shooting a round with the USPSA. Personally, I am fed up with the gun clubs in MD. I contacted my Area 8 rep for MD and he told me usual line about showing up at a USPSA event. I went to the range at Thurmont and more or less got treated like a second class citizen. The attitude I get from MD ranges is "you need us, we don't need you."

So, about two months ago I went to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore web site and attempted to join using their online form. I never heard back from them.

The Ft. Meade Rod and Gun Club is essentially worthless as are the DNR ranges in MD.

For the love of God, what does a guy have to do to find a decent place to practice in MD?

Seriously, what do I need to do here?
    Where in Maryland are you?

http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.org is in south central Pennsylvania (York, PA), but they put on great matches.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer