Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR's as sniper/tactical rifles?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

AR's as sniper/tactical rifles?

I am new to the forum and am glad I found this place. I have a Remington 700 built by Randy of R & D. I am now considering an AR platform instead of the bolt action rifle only for the faster reload.

My question is, are the semi AR's as good in the accuracy dept as the bolt guns? I am considering a 308, but would like to have some opinions from other guys that have had both. I am on a $1000.00 to $1500.00 budget for this new scoped AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1*
    My question is, are the semi AR's as good in the accuracy dept as the bolt guns?

Nope. A Semi auto anything will not be as accurate as a bolt gun. For every job, there is the right tool to be used. Sniper's rifles are bolt action.

Feedback Score
    I don't agree with the esteemed Mr bigbore.

AR- based rifles are serving well as sniper rifles, witness the successfull adoption of the SR25, MK11 and XM110 by various branches of the military. I know of several police departments which use and are very happy with 223 ARs in the precision marksman role.

While a good bolt gun will usually outshoot a good gas gun, the gas guns are more than accurate enough.

Feedback Score
    I think an accurized AR15 is OK for an LE roll because of the relatively close engagement ranges. From a military standpoint the AR15 shouldn't be anything more than a DMR.

The AR10/SR25 is fine for intermediate engagements but is limited to .308 (length). If anything more than a .308 is needed the AR platform will be out classed by any long action bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I am a police officer on my CRT Team and am kicking this idea around. Thanks for the reply's...

Feedback Score
    LE Sniper use:

ASA data of 219 sniper incidents over 20 years indicates 51 yd ave; longest shot of 187 yds, shortest of 4 feet. While snipers like to talk of head shots, there are an inordinate number of torso hits in the law enforcement forensic literature. ASA indicates 47% head (104/219) & 57% body (115/219). As a result, law enforcement sniper bullets need to exhibit terminal performance which can consistently induce rapid incapacitation with shots to the torso, as well as the head. ASA states 23% (50/219) of law enforcement sniper shots involved intermediate barriers, typically glass.

Although .223 can deliver outstanding accuracy, even out to 1000 yards, it is generally a poor choice for most law enforcement designated marksman duties due to it’s inferior incapacitation potential, especially beyond 200 yards and if intermediate obstacles are present. In general, .223 bullets offer the WORST terminal performance after penetrating glass intermediate barriers compared to many other common carbine/rifle calibers...

The 6.5/6.8 mm or .308 are far better choices: In a bolt gun, I'd go .308 and if a semi-auto is desired, 6.8 mm or 6.5 mm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Welcome aboard Doc.

It's nice to see you as a member of M4carbine. I look forward to reading your posts and learning from your knowledge and experience. .
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks guys, some good things to think about...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Morrison
    I don't agree with the esteemed Mr bigbore.

AR- based rifles are serving well as sniper rifles, witness the successfull adoption of the SR25, MK11 and XM110 by various branches of the military. I know of several police departments which use and are very happy with 223 ARs in the precision marksman role.

While a good bolt gun will usually outshoot a good gas gun, the gas guns are more than accurate enough.

You dont have to agree with me just because I'm right I answered the posters question accurately - pun intended.

An autoloader will never be as mechanically accurate as a bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Perhaps not as inherantly accurate but I've used both 5.56mm and 7.62mm AR based sniper platforms and they will easily outshoot me. The nice thing about the semi's is the quick follow up shots

My personal feeling is to use a semi auto in 5.56mm and 7.62mm and save the bolt gun for the .338LM and .50 role. But in the LE sniper course I took while in the mil they where very semi adverse due to political considerations (even though the rest of the ERT team had M4's...) - and the need for follow up shots/multiple target engagement is limited in the LE field

* I have not been able to convince anyone to buy me a 6.8 platform yet

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast