Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Medic Backpack Recomendations

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-06-17 at 15:49.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    I hate to be the voice of dissent but the LBT bag leaves quite a bit to be desired. It is an OK bag, very tough and durable, BUT it is excessively organized to the point that you end up with a lot of options that dont get used and simply add weight.

Do you need 50 elastic loops sized for a specific manufacturers needles/IV caths?

Do you need to pullout bag for your meds? A pelican case still works better in that pullout section.

Are you going to carry a full on adult and pediatric advanced airway kit for short day trips?

What are you going to keep in the surgical section?

I have two or three of the LBTs and one of the original BHI bags. Yeah they are sexy and look cool with all the loops and velcro and stuff but they see very limited use in my deployments.

The majority of my gear gets packaged up in water/dust proof packages and I use mesh or nylon bags/pouches to carry specific kits. I like just a bit more organization than a RAID pack or Marauder for a full size pack and carry the bag I designed the MIKE Sack for immediate needs.

My LBT bags are packed as a clinic bag to be used as a static bag back up if I have to setup a clinic in a connex/vehicle on the spot due to damage to my primary clinic. I dont plan on carrying that thing out in the world because it is not scalable and if I get wet the gear inside is likely to get wet because the organization doesnt allow for packaging up small usable kits.

For a full sized kit I really like the Eagle AIII med bag, mucho cheaper and the organization is minimal in comparison.

I have a buddy who used the CTOMs bag in Iraq and I got to mess with it a bit and it was OK but didnt do much for me BUT he LOVED it.

I will stick with my MIKE Sack and Marauder. But hey, I designed it for me so I am partial.

DOC
    +1 to this post.

Look MY experience is fairly considerable and it remains only MY observations based on that but:

Cost to function ratio makes it a high quality bag but you don't really gain anything unique to justify the expense.

Believe it or not we have 5 different largish bags we use for our training programs and you know which one the students default to frequently?

Blackhawk's STOMP II. By the end of the weeks training they use it almost exclusively.

I'm not a lable shopper guy. Its gotta be about function in wide scope of practices.

I'm not saying any of the bags mentioned are not good but the big bucks bags in our experience don't deliver anything worthy of their prices.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-06-17 at 15:23.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Guys for what it's worth this the bag in MikeG's post looks very much like one I use personally for short term ops. My SRT team, EP/ PSD work etc..

Smaller than the STOMP style bags and very useful.

I got it from TSS (Tactical Supply Specialties). Its fully modular inside. All pockets are movable and its a lower profils kit than the STOMPs.

I'll try to post some pics of it if I can figure out how to do that.

Its not the exact same bag but damned near.

Also has anyone looked at the Crossbow Special response pack? I can't remember who makes it but one of my medics on my TEMS team uses one for his kit and LOVES it. He likes how it contours to the body and is big enough for short term work. It's also hydration pack compatible.

My only concern about it is it is NOT made from the thicker ballistic nylon like the milspec ones tend towards.....
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 01-16-10 at 12:24. Reason: Added a thought.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

AND

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-06-17 at 15:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    Pathfinder,

You are correct. I am not sure when the TSSI bag came out but the first iteration of my bag was built in mid 2005. Since then I think a lot of people have come to realize the value of smaller, lower profile bags either in a stand alone position or scalable approach like mine where it can be latched onto a main pack that is left in a vehicle or cold/warm zone.

Here is the link to the TSSI Bag I think you are referring to: http://store.tacsurv.com/ProductDeta...did=TSS-M-9-CT

My very first med bag was the TSSI M5 back in the late 90s. I still have that bag and it is still a great bag, just not as low profile as I prefer.
    BINGO!!!

And +1 to the M5 bag.... I still have mine as well. I use it onboard my sailboat as the med kit for when we are there. It's BLS & ALS till the seems stretch, but I don't have to carry it. lol
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

AND

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234