Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: XD's.....why do you all hate them so much?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

XD's.....why do you all hate them so much?

Im just wondering. Everyone I know that has a XD as their carry gun(including the local LEO's) have never had anything wrong with them. Ive had one for 3yrs, and can honestly say that Im horrible at keeping guns maintained, yet every time I go to the range, or to qualify for the local SR's(sheriff reserves) my XD40 has never failed me.

I personally think alot of other guns shoot great, especially Glocks and Sigs, but I dont own a Glock for the simple fact that it sits funny in my huge Bear paws. My natural point of aim is real high with anything other than my XD and 1911.

This is not a this gun is better than this gun thread, I just wanna hear what everyones complaints/praises are.

Edit: my only complaint is the long trigger pull, but Im used to it, and can operate it efficiantly.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 09-11-09 at 23:57.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cheese and crackers, somebody lock this thread before it starts all over again!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    no.. dont lock the thread. the OP wants some specific reasons for why the XD blows- not to debate whether or not it does, or the merits of other weapons. that's valid, and not what XD threads are usually about.

I can't really give the OP an answer, but my thoughts are:

they're kind of like a "forced-joke"- a joke that could have been funny, but it required just a little too much effort to deliver, so is really not actually funny in the end.. the XD design has kind of been forced into the market, despite obvious flaws. the ergonomics suck, hand to bore position sucks, the trigger sucks, they've had little reliability issues pop up throughout their existence... overall, it's a marketable platform, but all these little things add up to a weapon that just isn't worth the same price as a Glock or M&P.

my buddy got a 45 compact not too long ago.. i found muzzle flip to be a bit too punchy for a poly gun.. and some funky pin in the top of the slide started walking out on the first trip to the range. springfield sent him a new pin. that's my only first-hand experience with them.

hopefully some of our resident pistol sexperts can do better than "it sucks" and give you some real, supported answers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Im just wondering. Everyone I know that has a XD as their carry gun(including the local LEO's) have never had anything wrong with them. Ive had one for 3yrs, and can honestly say that Im horrible at keeping guns maintained, yet every time I go to the range, or to qualify for the local SR's(sheriff reserves) my XD40 has never failed me.

I personally think alot of other guns shoot great, especially Glocks and Sigs, but I dont own a Glock for the simple fact that it sits funny in my huge Bear paws. My natural point of aim is real high with anything other than my XD and 1911.

This is not a this gun is better than this gun thread, I just wanna hear what everyones complaints/praises are.

Edit: my only complaint is the long trigger pull, but Im used to it, and can operate it efficiantly.
    Don't you know, it has nothing to do with the quality of the gun. It's wether or not it says Glock or M&P on the gun. Gosh...

Feedback Score
    I had one, and liked it. I thought the ergonomics were great, but then again I went from that to a SIG (and from 40SW to 9MM at the same time). The Sig and XD both have pretty high bore-to-grips. If I had to guess, it is that it isn't made here, but is marketed as being American and the fact that it is a pretty close re-imagining of a Glock, but with out much to make it stand out as clearly better.

The only reason I got rid of it was that it was the only 40SW I had at that time. Mine had a nice trigger, but there was an issue with the locking block and barrel with some chipping off the block. I had to send it back in and it ran fine after that.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 09-12-09 at 01:05.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    If the XD is what you are comfortable with and you can shoot it well, then drive on... what other folks like/use/want is up to them.

I can think of no show stoppers with the XD... are there *better* guns? I guess that depends on the criteria at hand, but IAW Rule 1, owning and training with an XD puts you way ahead of a lot of folks. I have never seen a bad guy back down from a lay-away receipt.

I have a couple of XDs, I have carried or been issued M9s, Glocks, Sigs, HKs and all manor of 1911s -- I have had nearly every one of them go down hard due to mechanical failure at some point, they is what they is.

There is no panacea, no perfect sidearm... I have met far too many people that compromise their personal comfort and ability, only to carry what others tell them they need to carry (and oddly, many of those advisors don't carry what they preach).
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 09-12-09 at 01:21.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Ahh, jeez...not this shit again. Use the bloody search function.

My reasons...

- srsly, the grip safety doesn't need to be there, as you can get yourself into a lot of trouble using one handed manipulations

- magazines are relatively fragile

- bore axis too high for my taste

- nowhere NEAR as simple as the GLOCK come detail stripping time

- relatively unproven

- lack of armorer support and EASY access to spare parts

- when people like David Bowie spend more time REPAIRING them, rather than enhancing them, I would take note

- I don't like getting ripped off by the marketing department at Springfield Armory just because their badge is on the slide (see the early HS2000 that were actual steals)

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    There is no panacea, no perfect sidearm...
    +1

The weapon system is supposed to be the warrior. The firearm is a tool utilized by the weapon system.

Who wins a gunfight? The guy that makes the fewest mistakes.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I've never owned one, but they have always seemed fine to me. I have enjoyed shooting them on many occasions. I wouldn't feed ill-equipped if I was issued one.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast