Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Haught Shotgun AAR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Rob Haught Shotgun AAR

Just got back from Rob's Shotgun class in Marietta Ohio. This was my first formal shotgun training class. I ran a Benelli M4 (one of two autoloaders in the class) with an Aimpoint C3 and a BFG Vickers Padded sling.

Preface:

I am NOT a "shotgun guy." I do not believe it is the best choice as a defensive tool and have pretty much hit the "delete button" on it for most of my adult life. To quote Vickers: "WTF do I need a shotgun for?" Was he right???

Having known Rob for a couple years now, I knew him to be an expert/guru with the shotgun and of course a fan of it (which I respected). So I went to the class with the intention of embracing the shotgun as a defensive weapon. Being open minded is always the best way to absorb information.

As an instructor Rob did a very good job. Few instructors can present information in a proper manner, back up what they teach by performing and also entertain the class. Rob did all three of these well I think. He had a good mix of instruction coupled with interesting .Gov stories.

Rob's technique of reducing felt recoil by 50% works AS advertised. So well that you can shoot a 12GA SG flat footed (weight on heels), square to the target with the SG stock on TOP of your shoulder and you will not be pushed back!

The other technique that Rob has come up with is the "CQB" position. This GREATLY shortens the OA length of the SG making it much more user friendly when clearing a room. Since I was running a Benilli M4, the stock was WAY too long. With this technique, I was able to really shorten the SG up and effectively put rounds on target from 12yds out!

Some of the other things of interest were his ability to select a slug and get it into the weapon VERY quickly. Got some cool drills for shooting and reloading that will make most people admit defeat.

Rob talked about how to properly "pattern" your shotgun so that you understand the effective range of it. We also discussed ammo selection and the use of 7 1/2-8shot for home defense. Both Rob and Ken Hackathorn (who showed up to run the shoot house) believe that this is a good load for targets that are at rooms length. At these distances, the 7 or 8 shot will be very destructive and have little concern of killing people in the next room or apartment. If you are outside of a "normal" room distance, than this load is NOT a good idea.
    IMHO, the best deployment for this load is create a barricade position in a room (making the bad guy come to you so that you can control the distance fired).

If you are a "SG Guy" or just curious about what you can do with one, then I would HIGHLY suggest taking a class from Rob. You will learn a lot, have a much better appreciation for the SG (which I now do) and be able to better deploy it.

Some thoughts on autoloaders VS pump guns. My M4 had ZERO malfunctions and I believe the other shooter that was running an auto had two (which were user induced). The majority of the pump guns had a malfunction that the user induced by short stroking the gun. We saw this particularly bad in the shoot house when everyone's adrenaline was running high.
    The question I have now running in my head is the auto SG a better choice (especially in times of stress)?? Talking with some of the other guys at the class, the answer MIGHT be a yes. IMHO, a QUALITY auto is superior for MY needs than is a pump gun YMMV.

C4

Range

Rob Haught

What happens when you shoot a SG normally.

Proper technique applied

Showing students how much pressure needs to be to the rear.

Rob explaining his technique.

Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-14-09 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Rob's CQB Technique

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-14-09 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What'd you do, hand out m4carbine.net hats to everyone before the class started?

As to the shotgun in general, is it safe to say that you didn't know what you didn't know?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Class trying the CQB technique

Box drills

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What ammo did you run for the class? Shooting 00 or 4buck could get expensive in a hurry. Were you guys using 7 or 8 shot during the class?

Also, if possible, not to give away all the secrets, but what is it that he's teaching? I've not been real big into defensive shotguns either, but I had a guy show me a push/pull technique that seems to tame recoil quite a bit. Also seemed to help eliminate short stroking as there was a very deliberate and exagerated change in motion when chambering a round.

Thanks for the write up.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What'd you do, hand out m4carbine.net hats to everyone before the class started?

As to the shotgun in general, is it safe to say that you didn't know what you didn't know?
    Most everyone in the class had an M4C hat already.

I have been around shotguns most of my life (rabbit hunter and SKEET range officer for 10yrs). I mostly viewed them as a hunting tool though.

So the class gave me a better understanding of what they can and cannot do.

Will a shotgun be replacing my AR and pistol for HD? No. Can I now use a SG in a CQB environment and handle myself? Sure can.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    What ammo did you run for the class? Shooting 00 or 4buck could get expensive in a hurry. Were you guys using 7 or 8 shot during the class?

Also, if possible, not to give away all the secrets, but what is it that he's teaching? I've not been real big into defensive shotguns either, but I had a guy show me a push/pull technique that seems to tame recoil quite a bit. Also seemed to help eliminate short stroking as there was a very deliberate and exagerated change in motion when chambering a round.

Thanks for the write up.

I ran Winchester AA 7 1/2 load, Winchester Military 00 Buck and Winchester rifled slugs.

In regards to the buck and slug, I tried to follow what the Military and LE units would use.

We used 7-8 shot for most of the class.

You basically use your hands in a 70/30 strength ratio to remove recoil from your body.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-14-09 at 12:03.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I really wish I could have made this class but work prevailed.

Will you be hosting Rob again?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I really wish I could have made this class but work prevailed.

Will you be hosting Rob again?
    If there is enough interest, we might do another one.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-14-09 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    Hello All;

Just wanted to say hello and comment on the program this past weekend. First of all thanks to the students who came so far to train and worked hard all weekend. The WX was perfect and the facility supported the class well with no distractions and all the props needed for this class. This was a particularly talented group who were experienced shooters and veterans of some good training programs. Its a pleasure to work with folks who have a genuine interest in the training and apply themselves. As in all things there will be things you like and things you wont in any program but I think most folks came away with a better understanding of the pros and limitations of the shotgun as a defensive tool and can make a better choice of equipment and weapon platforms. Thanks to Grant and M4Carbine for the logistics. Thanks again for a great weekend.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Haught; 09-14-09 at 14:21.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast