Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Rob Haught Shotgun AAR

Feedback Score
    It appears in the pics that almost everyone used 18.5" 870's. Was that the consensus? I am wanting a new shotgun for home defense utilizing bird shot to minimize danger to other family members and neighbors. Just can't decide on either 870P or 590A1. I would love the 14" but don't have the Sheriff's (boss) support and dont' want to circumvent him just for 4.5". Can anyone provide guidance because I can easily locate 590A1's; however, not 870P's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    #4 birdshot is about half the diameter as #4 buckshot, and there are about five times as many pellets per oz of shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Pistol guys!

#4 shot is 0.13 Diameter and there are 135 pellets per ounce.
    #4 Buck is 0.24 Diameter and there are 21 pellets per ounce.
    Thanks guys! I feel smarter already... and won't be using #4 birdshot.

Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Pistol guys!
    Having shot more people than birds with a shotgun makes me a "pistol guy"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by G22inSC View Post
    It appears in the pics that almost everyone used 18.5" 870's. Was that the consensus? I am wanting a new shotgun for home defense utilizing bird shot to minimize danger to other family members and neighbors. Just can't decide on either 870P or 590A1. I would love the 14" but don't have the Sheriff's (boss) support and dont' want to circumvent him just for 4.5". Can anyone provide guidance because I can easily locate 590A1's; however, not 870P's.
    Remington may have some sort of LE program that could get you an 870P quicker and cheaper, but I don't know much about it.

I really like the 590A1s but bought an 870 because it was impossible to find an 18.5"590A1 at the time, and the 20" just seemed like way too much gun for HD.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    You are right and I would have fallen into that same category before the class. Yet what do I know about the employment of shotguns vs. What R_H and K_H know? I would surely be a fool to not carefully consider what they both had to say.

Sometimes there is a disparity in "conventional wisdom" vs. actual experience from subject matter experts. That said, keep in mind the context... this was specifically at room distances, and the suggested load was #4.
    I thought that the load(s) specified were 71/2 - 8?

It used to be a pretty standard school of though that bird shot was a good idea for inside the home (room distances). In the past few years the notion of carrying anything less than 00 buck has been labelled an uneducated Fud tactic by most.

Sorry to derail this very good AAR.
    Last edited by Dunderway; 01-17-10 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B.O.W. View Post
    Great AAR and pics guys. looks like it was ablast and educational as well. hope he comes to the south sometime.
    Rob will be having a class in Fayetteville in Sept. Check Grey Group.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G22inSC View Post
    18" guns were common, but there were several NFA SG's in the class.

I would think VERY carefully about using birdshot. Remember that it is really only affective at room distances. If you have a longer shot, you are screwed.

If you want to do the most damage, but protect your family and neighbors (from a missed shot), shoot an AR with TAP.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I would think VERY carefully about using birdshot. Remember that it is really only maybe affective at room distances. If you have a longer shot, you are screwed.
    Fixed that for you.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    All I am going to say is that I went to this class because I know next to nothing about shotguns. Rob Haught knows *lots* about shotguns and he said the birdshot thing was viable. Ken Hackathorn also said it was viable. When much sought-after SMEs say a specific thing that contradicts the "conventional wisdom"... I would be a fool not to carefully consider it.

All I'm gonna say about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    When much sought-after SMEs say a specific thing that contradicts the "conventional wisdom"... I would be a fool not to carefully consider it.
    The converse is also true. It would be foolish to not consider the many other SME's, including the resident terminal ballistics SME's, who advocate not using birdshot.

Back on track, I appreciate the AAR and feedback. I've been interested in attending one of Rob Haught's shotgun courses. My previous shotgun education comes from Cooper, Awerbuck and Shaw.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910