Thread: Rob Haught Shotgun AAR

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Transition Drills

Figure 8 Drills

Class Stack

David and Goliath

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-14-09 at 14:33.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Haught View Post
    Hello All;

Just wanted to say hello and comment on the program this past weekend. First of all thanks to the students who came so far to train and worked hard all weekend. The WX was perfect and the facility supported the class well with no distractions and all the props needed for this class. This was a particularly talented group who were experienced shooters and veterans of some good training programs. Its a pleasure to work with folks who have a genuine interest in the training and apply themselves. As in all things there will be things you like and things you wont in any program but I think most folks came away with a better understanding of the pros and limitations of the shotgun as a defensive tool and can make a better choice of equipment and weapon platforms. Thanks again for a great weekend.

Rob
    Great class Rob and thanks again for all your hard work.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Rob did some patterning with his 14" shotgun at about 18yds to show us the difference between the Federal Flight Control 00 Buck shot and standard Winchester 00 Buck.

The Flight Control Buck was simply amazing and really changes the effective range of 00 Buck.

At about 18yds, buck shot become a liability as you are almost off the target at this distance.

Federal Flight Control 00 Buck @ 12yds

Federal Flight Control 00 Buck @ 18yds

Winchester 00 Buck @ 18yds

C4

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Enjoyed the class very much - new instructor and new weapon type. From previous training with LAV and Hackathorn, Rob's style and take on many issues fell pretty much in line with a lot of what I had learned to date.

I was quite happy with my shotgun, and don't plan on making any changes to it. The only thing I modified during class was a little dab of white metal-marker on the tip of the front sight... I may change this to bright orange.

After close to 300 rounds over a two day period, I have nary a mark on my right shoulder. This is rather amazing as I am 5' 8", 185 lbs., and shot a full-size 12 gauge all weekend. Rob's recoil control method works as advertised.

Cleared up some internet mythology about the weapon and ammo as well - when Rob and Ken both say the same thing, that should be a clue.

Nothing remarkable with ammo with the sole exception of the Federal Flight Control round - rather amazing, actually. This round alone should dictate a solid sighting system on your personal weapon, as it opens up new possibilities.

Thanks again Rob and Grant - great class.

edited to add: Special thanks to Templar for the world's scariest ride in a pickup truck!
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 09-14-09 at 15:16.

Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Haught View Post
    Hello All;

Just wanted to say hello and comment on the program this past weekend. First of all thanks to the students who came so far to train and worked hard all weekend. The WX was perfect and the facility supported the class well with no distractions and all the props needed for this class. This was a particularly talented group who were experienced shooters and veterans of some good training programs. Its a pleasure to work with folks who have a genuine interest in the training and apply themselves. As in all things there will be things you like and things you wont in any program but I think most folks came away with a better understanding of the pros and limitations of the shotgun as a defensive tool and can make a better choice of equipment and weapon platforms. Thanks to Grant and M4Carbine for the logistics. Thanks again for a great weekend.

Rob
    Rob it was nice to be in the class and you are a great instructor and lots of fun. All the guys that I brought to class loved the control of the shotgun they came away with. It was an eye opening experience for us all. The CQB potion that you taught was just unreal. I like to take classes from someone that is a true gun guy and you are that for sure. I would love to have a longer class with more shooting as it is just fun to shoot the shotgun when it is not hurting you! By the end of class I could have shot the rest of the day and all the night. It is fun to take a gun that everyone is afraid of and make it behave. Thank you.

SUPERIOR FIREARMS LLC.
    5510 Fern Valley RD. STE 102
    Louisville KY. 40228
    502-365-2244
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-14-09 at 15:27.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    At the end of TD2, we (the class) wanted to see how fast we could shoot 5rds out of our guns. Rob went first. He was able to run 5rds out of his gun in the low two second range with what seemed to be little to no effort.

Below are a succession of pics of him doing the drill. Notice the lack of muzzle climb as he runs through the rounds.

This time he did the 5rd drill from the CQB position.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great review and pics.

I am wondering if the CQB position does anything in terms of reducing or increasing the liklihood of shortstroking a pumpgun.

Realize that my only exposure to this position has been through internet pictures and posts.

thanks,

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Below are pics of guys running through the shoot house with Ken Hackathorn.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Great review and pics.

I am wondering if the CQB position does anything in terms of reducing or increasing the liklihood of shortstroking a pumpgun.

Realize that my only exposure to this position has been through internet pictures and posts.

thanks,

I would say no. The CQB position can actually create a different type of malfunction where the hull sits straight up in the chamber.

C4

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Grant,

Thanks very much for the photos and the writeup. I have been looking forward to reading this AAR, and training with Chief Haught in the future.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast