Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .30 CALIBER WHAT?

Feedback Score
    I will get some pics up not at home right now thank you to everyone for the help excuse my ignorance

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll give you $200 for it, cash money, right now.

Hurry, limited time offer

Feedback Score
    some guy at the gun store offered 675.00 don't know if that's fair our not

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LockenLoad View Post
    It might be.

Was it some guy or the gun store? If it was the gunstore it was probably realistic since they'd have to make a 20% markup. But if a gunstore was willing to offer that to you, than you can probably do better with a little patience.

If it was just some random "guy" than it might be a guy trying to pick low-hanging fruit.

Lacking better information and pictures it's hard to say. Are there crossed cannons on the stock? What's the serial number range? (e.g. how many figures? 6? 7? what are the first four digits?), knowing the manufacturer will go a long way to giving a good value. I'd pick up Bruce Canfield's "Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine" to research it. I have it so if you want me to look up something specific drop me a PM.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Way back when I bought a couple of carbines for $118 a piece from DCM, sold them as a poor college student thinking that I could always get another one or two anytime I felt like it.

Now you'd be lucky to find one under $600

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LockenLoad View Post
    It may be fair but I would put some research into it. GI carbines go from around $600 to several thousand dollars. You need to first figure out the mfg. considering numerous companies built them in WWII. From my memory, I know that the following companies made them in WWII:

Inland Div of General Motors
    Saginaw
    Winchester
    IBM
    Rock-ola juke box company
    National Postal Meter
    Underwood

and a few more.

Also this website may be helpful. http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/history.html

Feedback Score
    WW2 contractors were assigned blocks of serial numbers. The SN ( xx for the last 2 digits ) would be a useful clue. Most M1 Carbines left the factories with 2 leg flip sights and the adjustable sights that were added later cover the makers reciever mark. Just to add to the confusion , some recoil plates have contractor marks as well.

Feedback Score
    It looks like a pretty typical rebuilt M1 carbine. Nice shape- the later sight can obscure the markings and make it difficult to tell who made it, also there should be markings up by the front sight on the barrel- it might say I.B.M. and a flaming bomb or Rock-Ola or Inland or S.A. Who knows? Auto-Ordnance made “AO”-marked receivers for IBM during World War II.

$675 seems cheap to me. Particularly if it is nice and has no import markings on it. It isn't in its original WWII configuration but is still in an as issued post war configuration which is still good.

Make sure it isn't marked "M2" and doesn't have a selector do-jigger on the left side by the bolt...

Feedback Score
    It does say m1, thank you to everyone for the help, the gun is at the gunsmith's shop I will get the serial number in the morning

Feedback Score
    By all means, find a reputable dealer that will give you an honest appraisal of the entire lot. I remember when my grandfather passed, mom was executrix and took his entire collection (quite extensive) to a local pawn shop to sell for pennies on the dollar. She nearly ended up in jail for her trouble as some of the items in his collection weren't exactly kosher for possession by general population.

As to the Carbine in question - as someone else posted, look on the left-hand side of the receiver (viewed from the top) and make sure it doesn't have a selector switch (little nub sticking up between the stock and receiver). The rifle has the pot-belly stock and many other later features common to the M2 version, it is very simple to convert an M1 to M2 spec and conversions weren't always marked, you don't want to be shopping an unpapered M2 around as this could result in an unplanned stay at Club Fed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast