Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generators

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Generators

I need a extra Generator or two as spares for my two bug out locations. Now I can spend a small fortune on some name brand generators or go with the China made versions of Honda brand generators which is call KingCraft. Now the parts are interchangeable between the Honda and the KingCraft so I'M told and remember these are back up generators to the well maintained ones in place. Has anyone used or have comment about KingCraft Generators?

This is what I'M looking at,

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/off...3_ENU_HTML.htm

Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 09-18-09 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting subject. I have no idea about your China generator, but recently came across this interesting one...

http://www.tacticalpower.com/rugged_...r_20-0121.php#

I guess you could consider it a bugout gen.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Everything I've heard about genny's is that Diesel is the way to go.

This could be another great thread. A generator is something on my "when I get a lot more money" list, but it's on my prep list, nonetheless.

Diesel and Solar = Post-Apocalyptic Lap of Luxury

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    These Generators are for my Bug-out locations and are only back-ups to the main units in place. I considered Diesel but there are no local sources near my bug-out locations except truck stops on major hwy some distance from me. I would not venture anywhere near these people magnet hot spots during a SHTF event so smaller sources are much better for tactical reasons. I keeps at least two 50 gallon fuel barrels filled and treated at each location and I have two more empty encase the need arises to have extra fuel on hand. I already have a solar system in place which can handle lighting and water pump needs. I went and picked two of the listed generators up since I can return them within 120 days for a full refund to do a decent eval and see if they are junk or hidden treasure.

I may have forgotten to add they retail for $199.99 each.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 09-19-09 at 22:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You in Pennsylvania? Is your house heated by home heating oil? If so, go Diesel. You can run your generators on that.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    $199.00 is a steal for a decent generator.

I'll do some homework, but if I'm not mistaken, diesel is easier/safer to store, and easier to treat.

There's a product out there that extends storage time indefinitely. I'll have to dig up the book that I found it in, but I'll post it when I relocate it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    You in Pennsylvania? Is your house heated by home heating oil? If so, go Diesel. You can run your generators on that.
    My Primary home is in Philadelphia, In state bug-out is in Wayne's county and the deep woods retreat is in the state of Maine just below the Canada boarder. My primary is Natural gas and wood, Wayne's county and Maine is Propane and Wood. No oil at any of my locations. So far the one generator I'M testing has been running for 9 hours on a single 4 gallon tank at 50% load at 19amps, 2390 watts. She has been running smooth and noise out put is about 54 decimals, I have a hush kit which should drop the noise to around 30.

Feedback Score
    If you live where it gets cold diesel might sound good but have you ever tried to start anything diesel in freezing temps? So unless you keep it inside and warm you will be screwed when you need it. Diesel gels in the cold and trying to start one in the cold is near impossible. Thats why people have block heaters for their cars or keep them in a heated garage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    If you live where it gets cold diesel might sound good but have you ever tried to start anything diesel in freezing temps? So unless you keep it inside and warm you will be screwed when you need it. Diesel gels in the cold and trying to start one in the cold is near impossible. Thats why people have block heaters for their cars or keep them in a heated garage.
    While very true they do sell fuel treatment additives in most gas stations in the snow belt for treating diesel. My truck (06 Dodge Diesel) has been down to 54 below and started with no issues.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The test generator ran for 10 hours 16 minutes at just over 50% load before running out of fuel. On board fuel tank is 3.89 gallons and the printed run time at 50% was 10 hours so the generator lived up to its advertised run time. Power output was steady and the generator hummed along without surging. Two things I would like to see up-graded is the fuel capacity and output, 3.80 gallons is not a lot of fuel and while I can replace the current tank with a after market plastic 5.5 gallon version for $22.00 I think it should already be done by the manufacturer. Second all the cloned versions of this generator seem to offer 3500 watts surge, 3000 watts normal for a 6.5 HP OHV engine, this version runs at 3250 watts surge and 2750 watts normal a little under what the others offer in the same size package. The saving grace of this generator is that it only costs $199.99 were all the others in the same class run in the $349.99 to $419.99 range. I'm about to fuel up the second generator and give her the same running load as the first but I'm adding a hush kit to the exhaust to see how well the noise level is reduced and what affect it may have on run time if the kit affects the motors compression, I'll post results later.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast