Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Generators

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    The more I research different types of generators the more I'M pulled to solar and wind turbine systems due to the limitations of gathering and storing enough fuel during even a limited event. As I always considered solar/wind systems to be cost prohibited I was surprised to learn that prices of such systems are really affordable. The main power eaters are well pump, hot water and indoor/outdoor lighting which now days can be covered with simple solar systems and backed up with small wind turbines. I don't consider the Refrigerator to be a priority and can be lived without. Heat is wood fueled air tight shoves or fireplaces and during the summer cooking is done outside to reduce indoor heat. Now I still consider a generator as a short term gap fill but for long term events ones system has to be self renewing to be practical.
    Which systems do you suggest we look at ? Anything in particular out there.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Which systems do you suggest we look at ? Anything in particular out there.
    Also very interested. Done some research but always seems to come up with too much/too little information. The all-in-one kits on ebay and such seem to be lacking.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Just a note: I had to buy ten 5KW - 7KW generators after Hurricane Gustav. We had problems with the China built generators. Mostly with voltage regulation but bad enough to fry a 1 refrigerators, 2 a/c units and 2 computers.

We replaced them all with US made units.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
    Any thoughts or experience with natural gas powered generators (usually larger transfer switch units)? Obviously for Bug In- non portable.

We have gas heat/stove so already have service. As far back as I can remember I don't recall ever having a NG outage. But a few ice storms have left us with no electric service to run that gas furnace...

I suppose we could well experience an outage in SHTF/EOTWAWKI situations. But, at that point feeding a gasoline generator will likely be a problem as well. I believe the NG units can run on LP as well?
    I also have NG and have been looking into the same thing, sir.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1967 View Post
    I also have NG and have been looking into the same thing, sir.
    ====================================

The NG units are derated for KW and from what IIRC each gas (propane, butane, NG, etc.) has a different derate and different carburetion specific for each gas to get the max power.

Feedback Score

I've had a couple of these for about a year and would highly recommend them.
    Its the Honda Eu6500iS (with dual fuel kit). It will run on Gasoline, Propane, of natural gas with the flip of a valve. 90% of their lifetime fuel supply has been NG
    A few others have mentioned Honda's inverter generators and for good reason.
    I have two mobile 500kW Diesel gensets and still bring in the 6.5kW Hondas to independently run any more sensitive equipment in the event of grid power loss. The inverter generators really offer that nice sine wave of power which keeps data/comms alive. They are also the QUIETEST portable generators I've ever experienced.
    The only problem is.....they are expensive.
    Last edited by npmako; 01-03-11 at 02:33.

Feedback Score
    Gentlemen,

Here is an interesting site on long term power generation.

www.utterpower.com

Go to the products and design pages.

I have purchased both the PMG head and the book on home power generation and am extremely happy wtih both items.

HD

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any experience with surplus military generators?

Feedback Score
    You can get tri-fuel kits for just about any generator made. I have one on my RV and one on my back-up genny at the house. The Rv runs mainly off of lpg and the house mainly off of natural gas. They are fairly easy to setup which is a plus.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

Feedback Score
    In response to the military surplus generators...
    I have one at our cabin in CO that a buddy gave me. It is from the Vietnam era. It had been in his barn for years...fuel all varnished up etc. Took it to the repair place locally and had it services. It is a champ! Two pulls at most and it goes. It is heavy so two men and an ox is what it takes to move it around. Loud as a 747.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456