Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 parts. What's the best aftermarket parts?

Feedback Score

1911 parts. What's the best aftermarket parts?

Want to get drop on replacement parts for my Springfield. Mainly a barrel bushing, and recoil plug. Also a good trigger. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I've heard goods things about EGW when it comes to bushings.

Ed Brown makes a solid plug.

Highly recommend a 10-8 flat trigger...but that's just me.

YMMV
    Last edited by JiMfraRED1911; 09-24-09 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Are you certain that you are ready to take on the challenge of fitting a bushing? There is no such thing as drop-in 1911 parts. If the part does drop-in then you got lucky or it may still not be fitted correctly which could cause problems in the future.

Are you familiar with Brownells?
    They have a large selection of 1911 parts and some good instructions including one on fitting a bushing: link

Bushings are typically sold a little oversize so it will typically take a little fitting to get it right.
    I have used Ed Brown and EGW bushings with success.

There are a bunch of triggers on the market with different features to fit people's needs. Fusion, Chip McCormick, and Wilson have worked for me.

I have not tried the parts in the link that JW posted but I would buy them based on Larry Vickers' reputation.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    There is no such thing as drop-in 1911 parts. If the part does drop-in then you got lucky or it may still not be fitted correctly which could cause problems in the future.
    +1

I'm not a gunsmith and I would NEVER stake my life on a 1911 that I modified.

Just my $0.02, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf21 View Post
    Want to get drop on replacement parts for my Springfield. Mainly a barrel bushing, and recoil plug. Also a good trigger. Thanks in advance.
    1911s aren't Glocks. The recoil plug is one thing, but a barrel bushing needs to be fit, and so does a trigger.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

C&S drop ins?

Has anyone tried the Cylinder & Slide 5 piece drop-in set-up? I vaguely remember folks saying that they actually did drop in, and that they were very satisfied aftrwards. True?

jm
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score

1911s

Send the gun to springfield or a proficient 1911 smith and have them do the work right the first time.

Speaking as a 1911 owner (my full and semi customs have included guns by Heinie, YoBo, NH, Baer, O'Hara, and Bedell) , 1911 armorer (trained by Ken Elmore), and as a guy who has fitted fire control parts on over a dozen 1911s and debugged many others . . .

I had to ruin quite a few good parts, and spend quite a bit of money on parts, tools, and training before I became even minimally proficient at doing the work right.

A trigger job that works for 10 rounds may not work for 100 or 10,000 rounds.

It can be done right, cheap, or fast. Pick any 2 of the 3.

Ask the guy who is going to work on the gun what their preferred parts are. They will have preferences and reasons for them, including specialty tools/techniques that work with some parts/guns, and not with other.

Beware: parts advertised as "drop in" have caveats in the fine print on the packaging that they should still be installed by a gunsmith. This is because there are many variances between manufacturers of parts and guns.

You could install a jet motor in a Yugo. Doesn't mean it'll work, doesn't mean it'll last.

Just because everyone and their brother offers parts for a 1911 doesn't mean you should try to put them in your gun.

Besides, what's wrong with the gun as is? If it's working now, you have little to gain and much to lose by "improving" it yourself.

The C&S parts (which I've used in a gun, and which worked good) are indeed advertised as drop in. But guess what? If the hammer and/or sear pin holes in the frame are improperly located or enlongated or enlarged, the hammer, sear, disconnector, etc. will not mate correctly.

Even if they do work correctly, you'll have to fit the thumb safety to the new sear. You will likely have to buy and fit an entirely new thumb safety. You *may* also have to fit the grip safety, and you'll perhaps have to fit it to the cut in the slide, and also to the plunger. You will likely have to fit the leaf spring, too. This is an art unto itself, and it does not work the way most people think that it does. Install it wrong, and the gun can go burst.

Anyway, send the gun to springfield or a proficient 1911 smith and have them do the work right the first time.

That is my recommendation.
    Last edited by sff70; 09-27-09 at 01:16. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    If you can take the correct measurements of your barrel, EGW will make you a custom barrel bushing that will indeed be a very snug drop in.

I like the Greider Precision triggers, but they take a good amount of fitting. This is not very difficult but as others have said, tollerance stacking can lead to other issues.

EGW also makes an excellent plug.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If you are generally handy you can do it. Ed Brown, Wilson, etc all make fine parts.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast