Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long gun or no long gun for 30 day, out of state trip?

Feedback Score

Long gun or no long gun for 30 day, out of state trip?

Hola,
    I am an LEO but I have to do a 30 day stay away from home, out of state on Reserve orders. I know I'm taking my Glock 27 (loaded up as a .40 but bringing a 9mm conversion barrel & mags). I'm also contemplating bringing my 709 Slim and my duty 9mm AR carbine, or all three. I'm trying to balance need against paranoia (zombies are real..... I think?). Feedback and other options would be appreciated.

Gracias

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Though it's exceedingly unlikely you'll even need to present a firearm, much less have to use it, I would still recommend bringing a carbine. I always pack a long gun with half a dozen magazines on any overnight trips away from home. Habit, probably.

Better to have and not need vs the alternative, as the saying goes...
    Last edited by georgeib; 02-16-19 at 21:02.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Yep. Murphy’s Law.

I take a carbine on overnight/extended trips.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a rule. If I travel 50+ miles from home, the rifle goes too. The only exception is if I’m having to fly.

Army time (and the no firearms restrictions on base) makes this difficult.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    I have a rule. If I travel 50+ miles from home, the rifle goes too. The only exception is if I’m having to fly.

Army time (and the no firearms restrictions on base) makes this difficult.
    I do similar. Kiss Carbine taken down in non-descript case, 6 loaded mags plus some boxes elsewhere. Seriously stashed.

The concern is not to whip it out and defend myself real time. It's cheap insurance against a major event. I don't want to be caught flat footed far away from home. It's worked so far.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a bit confused. Does this thirty day duty involve the Army Reserves? Will you be able to securely lock your weapons on base? I can see concealed carry with a pistol but the carbine might be a bit more complicated when it comes to keeping it in a secure place when not in direct control of your person.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At Luke AFB Reservists were permitted to carry personal weapons on base en route to the armory, where they were logged and stored. Ammo was counted down to the last round and entered in the record, too.

When their UTA was over they checked them back out and went home.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry a long gun in my vehicle every day. If I was going to be away from home for any extended period of time....yea, you damn right I'd have one with me.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post
    Hola,
    I am an LEO but I have to do a 30 day stay away from home, out of state on Reserve orders. I know I'm taking my Glock 27 (loaded up as a .40 but bringing a 9mm conversion barrel & mags). I'm also contemplating bringing my 709 Slim and my duty 9mm AR carbine, or all three. I'm trying to balance need against paranoia (zombies are real..... I think?). Feedback and other options would be appreciated.

Gracias
    You're a reservist, going to a base? I'd be surprised if you could take your weapons. In any case, I'd only take my pistol. Im surprised by how many people take rifles leaving home.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Faaaaar more likely to have use for a pistol than a rifle. Not to mention how much easier it is to be discreet with and secure the former than the latter.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast