Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation on a budget

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure of the reason why but I have seen some of the Dick's Sporting Good Stores in the Philadelphia, Bucks county area discounting Mossburg shotgun replacement barrels for the Remington 870 12ga. They have a nice 18.5"inch length, 3"inch chamber, Dull Matt finish, I/C choked, brass bead barrel for $79.99 were normal price is $119.99. I had a $10.00 off for a $50.00 purchase coupon which reduced the cost further to $69.99. Not a bad deal at all for a 870 owner who needs a legal short barrel for self defense. Fit was perfect and finish was very good so I was able to convert a extra 870 12ga express magnum bird hunting gun into a spare S/D for home and travel.

Mossberg Model Number is #91335
    Dicks Sku #011981130

Can't say this is happening in all Dick's stores but it wont hurt to check it out if your in need of a 870 S/D barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have been looking for deals on the INTERNET and local sources for MRE's as my current stock is coming upon its rotate date. While it appears that MRE prices have drop by half in recent months I fear that the 12-21-2012 crowd will drive the price to insane levels as the date approaches. So does anyone have a good source with decent price they would like to share?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Have been looking for deals on the INTERNET and local sources for MRE's as my current stock is coming upon its rotate date. While it appears that MRE prices have drop by half in recent months I fear that the 12-21-2012 crowd will drive the price to insane levels as the date approaches. So does anyone have a good source with decent price they would like to share?
    No One?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't know what prices you currently have to compare against but maybe

http://www.mrefoods.com/

or

http://www.bestglide.com/Food_and_Water.html

I have experience ordering from bestglide and was pleased

ETA:
    Or maybe this
    http://www.longlifefood.com/default.asp
    Again no personal experience, just a google search
    Last edited by Icculus; 08-02-10 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think one way this thread can continue helping people is that each week or so one basic item is picked in which every home or mobile SHTF kit should contain. Then with everyones help post the best possible price and supplier so any one needing that item to build a kit knows were to shop. Since Food & Water storage is the biggest concerns in most SHTF events I will start with those. If anyone has suggestions feel free to post them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think one way this thread can continue helping people is that each week or so one basic item is picked in which every home or mobile SHTF kit should contain. Then with everyones help post the best possible price and supplier so any one needing that item to build a kit knows were to shop. Since Food & Water storage is the biggest concerns in most SHTF events I will start with those. If anyone has suggestions feel free to post them.
    Great idea. How about water purification (tablets or filters)?

Feedback Score
    Does it have to be MRE's?

I only ask because a mate of mine in the Belgian military does disaster management work full-time and one of his jobs is buying rations. As such he has had his hands on every type of military ration pack - French are the best, sadly nowadays no more wine or cigarettes.

His considered and professional opinion is that if laying in a store for personal use then people would be better going to the local cash and carry (Costco). His reasoning was that at least that way you:

* buy it newly produced with a longer shelf life,
    * get to pick your own menu structure,
    * probably get it cheaper than MRE's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Does it have to be MRE's?

I only ask because a mate of mine in the Belgian military does disaster management work full-time and one of his jobs is buying rations. As such he has had his hands on every type of military ration pack - French are the best, sadly nowadays no more wine or cigarettes.

His considered and professional opinion is that if laying in a store for personal use then people would be better going to the local cash and carry (Costco). His reasoning was that at least that way you:

* buy it newly produced with a longer shelf life,
    * get to pick your own menu structure,
    * probably get it cheaper than MRE's.
    Can you find out what your friend recommends for long term food items and what he considers a balanced food ration made up from bulk store items?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Can you find out what your friend recommends for long term food items and what he considers a balanced food ration made up from bulk store items?

Thanks
    I laugh, not at you, but because I had this conversation with him at the War & Peace show whilst drinking Becks, getting gently drunk, and eating duck pate (pfooey) from a French ration pack.

I recall he said something along the lines of, Governments have the money to pay a small fortune for cardboard boxes that contain stuff that you would not ordinarily eat. He poo pooed survivalist types spending a fortune on stuff they would not ordinarily eat and suggested that bulk shopping of items that you would normally eat would be better.

I agree with this approach and have a 4 - 6 week stock of tinned and powdered goodies on hand at any one time. This is a mix of stuff we normally use and stuff that is normally bought fresh so a concession has been made to buy tinned. The tinned stuff we ordinarily do not buy we give to the homeless shelter every year and buy new to replace it.

PM on its way

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here is a source of information I found on the net and while its not exactly on current topic it may prove useful to some.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-14-10 at 23:02.

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast