Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation on a budget

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post

I was fortunate to be able to get my emergency candles at $1.00 for 10, but it's been awhile since I've seen those as well.

The 'Mart has the best prices on Mountain House, as well, but the selection isn't anything close to REI's.

My brother manages to beat me out on "doomer deals", hands down. He picked up a Windmill Trekker for $5.00, an in-line Camelbak water filter for $9.00, an Aquastar UV filter for $5.00, and a CFP-90 for $30, among other insane bargains.
    The next time you or your sharp brother cross paths with more insane bargains, can you let the rest of us here know about it ? Those were some realy good deals, too cheap to pass up.

BTW, what is a BOGO ?

Thanks.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BOGO=Buy One Get One
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by obucina View Post
    I would assume that the containers for the rice and pasta are sealed, no? I am employed by this certain grocery chain and he have issues in the summer with contaminated rice and pasta. Primarily weevils, the heat and humidity especially when being warehoused seem to be the largest issue..of course, per our regulations, the product is a "dispose at store level" which means scan and trash...

on a side note...toward the end of hurricane season, many of our items like tarps, larger flashlights, self heating meals, etc...are marked down for inventory control purposes and weather band radios are currently on sale right now
    A very wise man, named Kino, recommends freezing the pasta before storage to kill weevil eggs.

The rice is in sealed buckets.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quick question on freezing the pasta and rice to kill parasites, does not the freezing process and then the defrosting cause moisture on the surface of the pasta and rice which would cause bacteria to grow? Next week I was going to pick up "four" fifty pound bags of rice at the local BJ's who has them at a great price. I already have new and cleaned food grade five gallon resealable buckets and a empty frost free stand up freezer were I can knock down the temperature to -20 degree's or better. Is there any research on food storage out there which has the best ways to store dry goods?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Back to Firearms,

This Saturday I did a little road trip to the area gun shops which in total are nine shops within a 10 miles radius. I was looking used only and was hoping to see at least a shotgun and a pistol for under $600 OTD. Well I was very surprised to find that the shops visited had a large variety of used choices and the prices were extremely decent. This variety was strange since the last time I did this type of road trip a few months back the used market for firearms was really tight without much selection and high prices. It appears that the current economy is to blame and many laid-off gun owners are thinning their collections to paid bills and to buy food. So Gun shops have been buying or selling on consignment a large amount of guns lately and the increase in inventory has reduced prices to move the stock. Well my very first shop had a like new Remington 870 Tac Desert Recon 12 gauge for $250.00, as soon as I pick the Remington up the shop owner called over that he would knock off $25.00 and do the back ground for $10.00 (I'M Known in these parts as a discount buyer who barters price like the best of them) so the reduced offer was a attempt to avoid a lengthly negotiation. I have never seen a Remington like this and the action was smooth and the trigger pull crisp so I started to walk toward the shop owner with shotgun in hand. This signals that I was now ready to negotiate my buying price and the shop owner flat out stated "What do you want to pay for that" I replied $200.00 OTD and without hesitation the shop owner returned with $210.00 finial price. So since this shop has its own range I wanted a few test fire rounds to function test the shotgun and after 10rds of old high brass #2 shot I decided that my research trip just turned into a buying spree. On the rack there were several other 12 gauge shot guns from different manufacturers all in great condition and at good price. I did not see any thing in a pistol but he had a few S&W Model 64's stainless .38spl around $250.00

Shops 2-3-4 had a few items of interest but nothing I really would have jumped at as I don't place much stock in older S&W auto's or Mil-surplus pistols for serious work. Shop Number 5 does a lot of Police department deals so they sell the turn-In's from these departments. Glocks seem to be the latest trade In's with most being 9mm's with a few .40S&W and .45acp's thrown in. A few Model-17's and 19's were in excellent shape and some were really clean like-new pistols which shined through, most of the remaining showed normal holster and cosmetic handling marks but the actions were solid. The pistols were priced per condition as one would expect with the best running at $375.00 with three magazines and night sights of unk age but serviceable. Since Glock 9mm's are well known for there durability and drop dead reliability out of the box these pistols would make for a serious SHTF firearm. So off to barter with the "Man" for the best condition Model-19 which appeared to have less then a few hundred rounds fired at best. He saw me coming and asked if I was there to "Violate Him" on a counter offer to the pistols sticker price. I said "Of Course" and fired a $300.00 OTD offer to him. As the man choked on his coffee he told me to return when I had a serious offer. Needless to say we went back and forth until a $320.00 OTD and a 10.00 back ground fee was agreed to. So far a total of $540.00 was now spent on two firearms and I paid a additional $60.00 for three extra used Glock Model-19 magazines and four 50rd boxes of Wolf Polly Coated 9mm ammo. I was given a used but like new Uncle Mikes plastic Paddle holster with thumb snap that fit the Model-19 perfectly by the owner as a bonus for being the only one that week that "F*** Him" as good as I did. Its not like I got the greatest deal on the Glock but shop owners now have to make some price concessions to move inventory and pay their own bills.

So I get home from this fact finding mission that turned buying spree after only five out of nine shops visited and I was able to procure a decent home defense option for $600.00. Now as a man I should not be posting this but the Glock Model-19 has been appropriated by the wife as consequence of my reckless spending spree (I used 60% of my Uniform Allowance Check I get every year from the department to fund the spree) and now she at this very moment at the range pinking away with her girlfriend.

I really didn't need these guns but good deals don't come that often and I'll get another Uniform check next year. I did surprise myself by staying inside my spending limit and coming away with what I did. Well the good thing is I will get my Glock Model-26 back that was "appropriated" a few years ago after a similar gun shop road trip occurred.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 09-27-09 at 12:57. Reason: Edit to fix broken link.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tagging for interest
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Complete vs. Incomplete Protein

Rice and beans, for example, form a complete protein.

More here.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    IMHO, all dry food should get the same process for long term storage... infestation can destroy your food stores, you should protect your food from all critters, weevils, rodents and democrats.

You will want to repackage a lot of stuff, especially things that come in boxes or thin plastic bags...

*cut the preparation instructions and nutrition label from the boxed foods, vacuum seal the contents and tape the instructions to the bag.

*Divide up large bulk packages into smaller packages; think "per meal sizes" and vacuum pack that way - you can even mix stuff now, rather than later... some rice, beans and dried veggies, a little spice all vacuum sealed in one bag and measured out to feed a certain number of people.

*Vacuum sealed bags of rice, grains, flour and pasta should be frozen for 72 hours to kill eggs that are in the grain... anything that you freeze needs to be in an airtight container to keep moisture from getting to it when it is thawed.

*Plastic buckets are great for storing bags of food... pre-pack them to feed a number of people for a certain amount of time; example: one five gallon bucket has meals, snacks and supplements to support two people for one week. Make sure you are using food grade buckets, or know for sure what was in the bucket before you got it! Square buckets make better use of storage space than round ones.

*Buckets can be purged before sealing by putting a small piece of dry ice wrapped in paper in the bottom of the bucket and then packing the food bags on top of the dry ice... set the lid on loosely and wait an hour or so before sealing it - do not lift the lid, just press it in place, the CO2 from the thawing dry ice will purge a lot of air from the bucket... you can also add some Bay Leaves to the bucket or food bags, and some folks like to "powder" the contents of storage buckets with diatomaceous earth, if you do this, make sure you are not using the stuff you buy for swimming pool filters - get food grade DE.
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 09-30-09 at 22:45.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    BOGO... as was already mentioned is Buy One, Get One and I think it is also the warcry of women's shoe sales; however, it is something to keep an eye on in grocery stores, it looks like obucina would know more about how stores stock their shelves than I do, but I know that they run on short cycles and often food is trashed at the store... The sales to get that stuff off the shelf before it is trashed can be quite good, keep an eye on these and think of the buy-one-get-one as "one for now, one for later" when you shop... or two for later

Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    A very wise man, named Kino, recommends freezing the pasta before storage to kill weevil eggs
    Holy crap! There is one?
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 09-27-09 at 15:11.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Start small, $10-20 every payday. Hit the stockup stores like ALDI, rotate your stock and it won't be long until you have a 6 month plus supply of canned and dry goods.

We've never had trouble keeping rice and beans good, but we never bought them by the huge bags, either. Personally I think there's more of a chance of spoilage/infestation of one 50 pound bag than 50 one pound bags you would get at the store.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast