Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation on a budget

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    BOGO... as was already mentioned is Buy One, Get One and I think it is also the warcry of women's shoe sales; however, it is something to keep an eye on in grocery stores, it looks like obucina would know more about how stores stock their shelves than I do, but I know that they run on short cycles and often food is trashed at the store... The sales to get that stuff off the shelf before it is trashed can be quite good, keep an eye on these and think of the buy-one-get-one as "one for now, one for later" when you shop... or two for later

Holy crap! There is one?
    Oh shit. I just went to try and quote it, and it was HeavyMetal, not you! My bad bro...

You're still wise, though, my good man.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    BOGO... as was already mentioned is Buy One, Get One and I think it is also the warcry of women's shoe sales; however, it is something to keep an eye on in grocery stores, it looks like obucina would know more about how stores stock their shelves than I do, but I know that they run on short cycles and often food is trashed at the store... The sales to get that stuff off the shelf before it is trashed can be quite good, keep an eye on these and think of the buy-one-get-one as "one for now, one for later" when you shop... or two for later

Holy crap! There is one?
    yepper. our sales system runs on what can best be described as a three tier system...our weekly sales ad, which runs from thursday-wednesday. The sales flyer is distributed 48hrs prior in the local newspaper..Our "advantage buy" which runs on a temporary price reduction for 6 weeks, as our warehouse allocated items run on 6 weeks price changes, and now our "essentials" program that drops the price on typical staple items...right now the 6pk of Top Raman is dirt cheap(yay). Our weekly sales stuff typically doesnt disappear completely, we are on an automated ordering system and im quite gangster with my inventory numbers but also, if its gone and on sale ask for a rain check. for any of you in the southeast who shop at the store with the ginormous green P, you will notice that many items are on a cycle.....and seasonal/holiday type stuff is quite consistent. The pasta for example rotates brands almost every week, gatorade sales are rotated in terms of size type, 64oz, 8pk, 128oz, etc...So, you can count on some consistent items every time. Also, large quantities can be had for cheap at the hispanic micro-chains. The P does is also in certain hispanic dominated neighborhoods. Finally, since its football season, the most important staple of all will be perpetually on sale until after the Pro Bowl.....and thats BEER!
    Oh, and in the event of one of those twirly tropical things, dont panic over getting bottled water, our multi million dollar Cat generators will mean he have full power and that means the 'puters will run, so orders may be verified....and corporate will run drop ships of palletized half liter multipacks like its X at Burning Man.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obucina View Post
    BOGO=Buy One Get One
    Thank you. Guess that shows how often I food shop.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Food Shelf-Life Guide:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    Food Shelf-Life Guide:

http://www.stilltasty.com/
    Good Info source!

Feedback Score
    Here's a calendar to help you get prepared over a 24 week period. There are many variations of it but the point is to help you buy the things you need and make the other preparations you should make a little at a time so it is not too burdensome financially or otherwise.

Disaster Preparedness Calendar

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by obucina View Post
    yepper. our sales system runs on what can best be described as a three tier system...our weekly sales ad, which runs from thursday-wednesday. The sales flyer is distributed 48hrs prior in the local newspaper..Our "advantage buy" which runs on a temporary price reduction for 6 weeks, as our warehouse allocated items run on 6 weeks price changes, and now our "essentials" program that drops the price on typical staple items...right now the 6pk of Top Raman is dirt cheap(yay). Our weekly sales stuff typically doesnt disappear completely, we are on an automated ordering system and im quite gangster with my inventory numbers but also, if its gone and on sale ask for a rain check. for any of you in the southeast who shop at the store with the ginormous green P, you will notice that many items are on a cycle.....and seasonal/holiday type stuff is quite consistent. The pasta for example rotates brands almost every week, gatorade sales are rotated in terms of size type, 64oz, 8pk, 128oz, etc...So, you can count on some consistent items every time. Also, large quantities can be had for cheap at the hispanic micro-chains. The P does is also in certain hispanic dominated neighborhoods. Finally, since its football season, the most important staple of all will be perpetually on sale until after the Pro Bowl.....and thats BEER!
    Oh, and in the event of one of those twirly tropical things, dont panic over getting bottled water, our multi million dollar Cat generators will mean he have full power and that means the 'puters will run, so orders may be verified....and corporate will run drop ships of palletized half liter multipacks like its X at Burning Man.
    You sir are my hero. I love shopping where it truly is a pleasure. Please dont stop with the tips.

Feedback Score
    Great thread. It may be worth mentioning that a persons shopping list would change depending on what their shtf needs are. For example you may wish to leave rather than stay, so 55 gallon drums of water may not be in your interest. The only reason I bring this up is that a friend of mine was talking with a coworker & she said she wanted to buy some ulti-survival kit in a can. My buddy said ok what are you preparing for? She replied that her biggest concern was the swine flu. The scarry thing is that nothing in the kit would help her with swine flu. Be aware of what you are planning for & buy accordingly. As of this moment I live in a pretty rustic home with wood stoves for warmth. Water is a major concern as our well is not good to drink right now, so we keep lots of drinking water & potable water on hand just in case. We have a garden (seeds are cheap). My home readiness is ok but not great. My other concern is beeing on the road, as I tend to travel quite a bit on short trips of around an hour away from home. So I have started looking into gear to keep with me in the vehicle. I try to buy small things here & there as money allows. The other day I bought several feet of 550 cord, & a small pelican case for storing my fire starting gear. A while back I bought some water purify tabs & a small first aid kit. If you have $1500 to through at shtf right now great but if not do little buys here & there you will be suprised how fast your gear will come along. Eventually depending on you needs you will have to throw down some cash for either a good pack, firearms, or a generator or something.

As of for the perfect firearm for shtf thats a hard one since many factors come into play such as available ammo, parts & what you may be wanting to do with it; hunt small game, large game, or defend your home
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Great thread. It may be worth mentioning that a persons shopping list would change depending on what their shtf needs are. For example you may wish to leave rather than stay, so 55 gallon drums of water may not be in your interest. The only reason I bring this up is that a friend of mine was talking with a coworker & she said she wanted to buy some ulti-survival kit in a can. My buddy said ok what are you preparing for? She replied that her biggest concern was the swine flu. The scarry thing is that nothing in the kit would help her with swine flu. Be aware of what you are planning for & buy accordingly. As of this moment I live in a pretty rustic home with wood stoves for warmth. Water is a major concern as our well is not good to drink right now, so we keep lots of drinking water & potable water on hand just in case. We have a garden (seeds are cheap). My home readiness is ok but not great. My other concern is beeing on the road, as I tend to travel quite a bit on short trips of around an hour away from home. So I have started looking into gear to keep with me in the vehicle. I try to buy small things here & there as money allows. The other day I bought several feet of 550 cord, & a small pelican case for storing my fire starting gear. A while back I bought some water purify tabs & a small first aid kit. If you have $1500 to through at shtf right now great but if not do little buys here & there you will be suprised how fast your gear will come along. Eventually depending on you needs you will have to throw down some cash for either a good pack, firearms, or a generator or something.

As of for the perfect firearm for shtf thats a hard one since many factors come into play such as available ammo, parts & what you may be wanting to do with it; hunt small game, large game, or defend your home

Spade,

My $1500.00 is a yearly figure which one would save then buy a BUG-IN SHTF starter kit, We are talking about people who have nothing whats so ever and this is what their very first SHTF kit could be formed from.

As the list starts with Water then Food and moves off to Firearms, First Aid, Securing the Home and so on you can see the first two items are the highest priority.

Buying long term storage type foods can be done on a weekly basis as you do your normal food shopping but the one flaw is you will really have to keep track of your ever approaching expiration dates for your stores as you did not buy a large single unit with a single expiration date. But many will say if you shop and add items weekly then just make sure your rotate the oldest stores first. For me I would rather have a low maintenance system then one I have to always maintain.

Bug-In Firearms can be as simple a old single shot 12 gauge or .22LR rifle, as you can see I did not buy a battle rifle or a sniper rifle. A simple 12 gauge pump action shotgun can be used in many different roles from hunting small game with bird shot to using slugs on deer and black bear or as a home defender loaded with some buckshot. Since it may not be alway opportune carrying that shotgun I added a Pistol to the mix which was extremely durable and reliable, concealable and offered good ammunition capacity. Also when loaded with one of DOCGKR's approved hollow points tend to be a effective self protection tool. Effective is the term which should be used for a SHTF firearm and while any firearm maybe able to incapacitate someone or thing the speed in which it can do so with proper bullet placement is the key. 9mm and 12 gauge are the most common ammunition to be found at retailers who sell ammunition and thus one of the reasons for my SHTF selection.

You were saying your "Well" water was not the best for drinking right now, what caused this condition and maybe a member can suggest a safe way to decontaminate the water.

Feedback Score
    Buying long term storage type foods can be done on a weekly basis as you do your normal food shopping but the one flaw is you will really have to keep track of your ever approaching expiration dates for your stores as you did not buy a large single unit with a single expiration date. But many will say if you shop and add items weekly then just make sure your rotate the oldest stores first. For me I would rather have a low maintenance system then one I have to always maintain.
    If the food you store is the food you eat, keeping track of exp dates isnt a problem. Canned food expires 1-2 years later, and if they are 6 months past it isnt going to go bad. I usually check dates every 4-6 months, I take the oldest stuff out and use that up.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast