Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation on a budget

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    If the food you store is the food you eat, keeping track of exp dates isnt a problem. Canned food expires 1-2 years later, and if they are 6 months past it isnt going to go bad. I usually check dates every 4-6 months, I take the oldest stuff out and use that up.
    One can do as you say and build a SHTF pantry but it takes time before you have a fully stock pantry. If nothing happens during your building period then your good to go, I was thinking more on the line of instant SHTF kit which could be done on a tight budget, no building and ready for use. I know things are hard and monies tight but if the SHTF tomorrow I would rather be a $1500.00 in debt then nothing to sustain and protect my family. We can always find a way to pay a bill over time, are families are worth it.

Feedback Score
    Phila PD our well has ecoli. Just like about everyone elses around here. We need to buy a UV filter & just have not done so. As for your logic for available ammo, it may be flawed depending on the shtf scenario. If indeed the crap hits you may not be able to just go to the retailer as everyone may have already done so. Also if it gets bad enough you may look to aquiring from the military or law enforcement (buy whatever meens) assuming they both exist. If neither due they may still have ammo at various locations. Regardless 5.56 & other such rounds may fit nicely in a shtf ammo plan
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    As for your logic for available ammo, it may be flawed depending on the shtf scenario. If indeed the crap hits you may not be able to just go to the retailer as everyone may have already done so. Also if it gets bad enough you may look to aquiring from the military or law enforcement (buy whatever meens) assuming they both exist. If neither due they may still have ammo at various locations. Regardless 5.56 & other such rounds may fit nicely in a shtf ammo plan
    Thats why I stated this is a buy now kit with a limit of $1500.00 that way you have it now without lengthly building times. Common standard calibers will most likely be wiped out just after a SHTF event as you say but they should be easily available at chain stores if you buy now. Remember this is a starter kit for someone who has nothing and wishes to get prepared.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here is a question about food stores, how much of a percentage should you split between dry goods such as beans, rice, flour...ect and can goods? I was thinking can goods are a open and eat item most of the time and if you can add a little heat to warm the can all the better. Dry goods would seem to consume more water and fuel to prepare them. So what would be a good balance between the two?

Feedback Score
    Personally I keep A LOT more canned stuff. There are many reasons why I keep more canned stuff over dry goods:
    -Sturdy containers, dont have to worry about bugs, mold, going stale...
    -basically just heat and serve and can do that in the can, or just eat cold
    -little or no water needed

Dry goods downsides:
    -A LOT of extra water needed to cook and for washing pots
    -Under cooked Kidney beans can make you very sick
    -Long cooking times which is hard if cooking on a grill.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    -Under cooked Kidney beans can make you very sick
    -Long cooking times which is hard if cooking on a grill.
    Well, I'm Hispanic, so I don't cook beans on the grill... they just keep falling thru!

There's a lot to be said for canned goods. They last forever pretty much. The downside is that they are bulky and heavy, but I really don't plan on moving out, it just doesn't make much sense where I live.

Dry good will last quite a while if stored properly. Just make sure you get the right lids for your 5 gallon buckets, and liners. It's very true about the water though, but cookware can be clean pretty well without water, it just takes a whole lot more scrubbing.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm Hispanic, so I don't cook beans on the grill... they just keep falling thru!
    Oh, I dont put them on the grill, I roast each one like a marshmello.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great thread!

I've some friends that have picked up 5 gallon buckets for free from bakeries and fast food joints.
    These are some good lids.

Here's one place to get them.
    http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gam..._products.aspx
    Last edited by nfranco; 10-07-09 at 23:10.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just a heads up that 5.11 is closing out and discounting a ton of gear.
    A good place to look is your local shop or LA Gear on-line.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ill take a few pictures and post them shortly but I was able to put together a very low priced battle belt from 5.11 & Black Hawk clearance items which for training and short term SHTF purposes is very functional and low cost.

Items are,
    One Black Hawk Padded Patrol Belt
    Two 5.11 M-4 Magazine carriers (Will hold 4 Magazines)
    Two Black Hawk Pistol Magazines carriers (Will hold 4 Magazines)
    5.11 Medical pouch (Very decent size, Multi Compartment)
    5.11 6x6 Utility bag (Carry a GPS, Cell Phone, Mini-Binoculars, Power bars and spare Battery's, Multi Tool, ECT)
    5.11 Dump Bag (Med Size) (Doubles to hold flex cuffs)
    5.11 TR-2 light pouch

The above gear cost under $100.00 and the only thing needed is a holster for your model sidearm. I added the 5.11 Large plate carrier for $24.00 to handle a extra set of plates I own and a set of armored knee pads for $8.99 to protect the aging knees from injury. A pre-packed Gun Shot wound kit runs from $39.99 to $104.00 depending on what level of care you buy to round out the package so one really does not have to go broke for a entry level set-up while living on a tight budget.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast