Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation on a budget

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I will vouch for the 5.11 med pouch. That thing is the heat.

Feedback Score
    Here's some good info on long term storage food items. Certain basic food products, if properly stored can last 30 years or more.

http://www.providentliving.org/conte...7448-1,00.html

There's also a food storage calculator to help you figure out how much food per person you need for a given duration.
    Last edited by B52U; 11-16-09 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Nice Little Bag

Not a bad little bag for $14.99 I picked up several in different colors and received them today. Nicely built and it holds everything one could stuff into a shoulder bag to get home or to a bug-out location.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-map-bag.html

From the LAPoliceGear site,
    Description,
    The Tactical Map Bag is made for carrying all of your combat necessities in an over-the-shoulder carry bag. Will carry everything including your radio, chem. lights, concealed pistol with spare magazines, and of course your map.

Features

Clear Plastic Map Pocket
    Three-Way divided compartment
    Internal Elastic Loops
    Exterior M16/AR15 Magazine Pouches
    Exterior Pistol Magazine Pouches
    GPS Pouch
    Internal Pistol Holster w/ Spare Magazine Pouch

Edited to add they appear to be selling out extremely fast with some colors already gone.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 11-18-09 at 00:54.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you See A Good Deal on Items which can be used in times of need then POST it up in this thread

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I started looking at this thread in detail today. I have got my weapons and ammo mostly where I want them for now and I am starting on food. I found a chest freezer for free and put a seal on it and it has worked perfect for 30 days now so I think I am good to go with the cold storage. I have a question I think K.L. Davis mentioned freezing flour, rice, bean etc for 72 hours before storing or using my question is do you store first then freeze 3 days before you use or freeze for 3 days and then you can store elsewhere? I live in Savannah, Ga my main storage will be under my house (it is built up off of the ground about 3 feet). It is very hot and humid here in the summer with very wet, mild winters.

Feedback Score
    You freeze first to kill any bugs/bacteria that might be present, then you store. I'm in Savannah too, and thought about storage under the house, but ultimately decided it would be too damp and warm. If you start thinking about water storage, pm me and I've got a great local source for the blue food grade 55gal drums.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How do you remove the moisture from freezing before storing?

Feedback Score
    This is turning out to be a good thread.
    Question I like homemade beef jerky and a Local grocery store has been having good sale prices on hamburger meat. I would like to make some home made beef jerky what would be the best way to package and store it and how long could I expect it to last?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    How do you remove the moisture from freezing before storing?
    Vacuum pack and seal before freezing... when you take the packages out of the freezer you will see condensation on the outside of the package, this is from water vapor in the air outside of the package, nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 11-25-09 at 22:31.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK,

So buy cheap bulk rice, vacuum pack , freeze for 72 hours at -20 to -40, remove wipe off condensation then store.

Now thats preparation on a budget.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast