Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10-8 M&P base pad installed w/ pics

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 1 View Post
    You guys should price billet car parts for comparison, and many of those are for appearance only.

Why is it helpful to ID the mags? (Sorry if that's too much of a newb question.)
    What do you mean ID? Like to tell each one apart from another? I've always numbered my mags and keep track of them. If a problem arises, I can keep track of which one... if that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When I was in the mountain bike scene I was a weight weenie as the term went. My bike was a light as can be. I had my full suspension bike under 19 pounds. If people are complaining about a $20 base pad, I paid $50 for 10 little titanium bolts. No complaints there as well..

Back to the subject at hand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    What do you mean ID? Like to tell each one apart from another? I've always numbered my mags and keep track of them. If a problem arises, I can keep track of which one... if that makes sense.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 1 View Post
    You guys should price billet car parts for comparison, and many of those are for appearance only.

Why is it helpful to ID the mags? (Sorry if that's too much of a newb question.)
    As 021411 said, one theory is to "ID" mags that can be problematic.

Could be used to differentiate between training rounds vs SD/duty loads or even "who's mag is this?" in a unit fashion.
    It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Emerson
    My boy Ducks fav quote - RIP brother

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe the shorter front of the base pads were designed to save space and problems when reloading.
    If you go to reload, the long base pad of the 2nd mag on your belt can got hooked pulling up on the first magazine on your belt.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I am still confused as to what these "new" base pads are supposed to do, other than help finically support Hilton Yam.

Yes I understand that they may be more durable than the factory base pads. I also understand the cutouts are to assist with clearing a stuck magazine.

In my mind, these are answers to problems that are non-issues.

My agency has had approximately 1,200 of the M&P 9mm's in the field for going on four years. I personally have around 9K rounds through my issued M&P in various training and practice sessions. (This does not count several thousand rounds through my personally owned M&P's).

While there have been some minor issues appear, breaking base pads is not one of them. Magazine base plates, on very rare occasions, can come off, if the detent pin is not properly seated, and if the magazine hits at a certain angle.

Solution to this is to ensure the detent pin is fully seated, (look in the hole in the bottom of the base plate). I would also offer if you do a magazine change where you discard you empty magazine, while involved in a gun fight, do you really care about that magazine?

My issued magazines have base pads that have the edges very scratched up due to all the dropping on concrete during magazine changing drills over the past 4 years. They show no sighs of cracking though. I have never seen, nor has the training staff at our range seen a base plate break due to a magazine hitting the ground.

As to removing stuck magazines, once again, I fail to see the need for the 10-8 base plate. The factory magazine drops free quit well. When experiencing a failure to extract, in which an empty case and a live round want to share the same space, sometimes the magazine will not drop free after locking the slide back. a swipe down the front strap of the pistol, catching that large base plate (that apparently is not in vogue) has always caused the magazine to come out.

If an individual wants to spend $69 plus shipping, have at it. If you like the looks, and can afford the price tag, go for it. But if the argument is going to be made that these baseplates are needed to enhance the survivability of an Officer issued an M&P, well I would have to disagree.

After spending the last 4 years getting to know the M&P 9mm, there are a few minor things I would change (more aggressive stippling on the grip inserts being top of the list), the magazine base plates is not one of them.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-01-09 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good information Beat Trash on first hand experience on sterile environments (ie range). But on the streets, you just never know. I don't know of any reports where an M&P of any caliber was used in an actually urban gun fight state side. I would love actual first hand experience.
    Yes I agree that the M&P mags drop free 100% of the time and it's pretty good at it too. I'm not denying that.
    It's the unknown I'm worried about. Sure the mags can be stripped with a quick swipe at the front but what about that one time it doesn't want to do that? This can go on and on..
    I'm not really here to argue on the price point. We all have prices we are willing to pay. I didn't mind paying the $70 for the base pads.
    It always boils down to price on pretty much everything nowadays. Remember where we are. M4C. Place where people (myself included) pay way more for stuff than usual.

With that said, my last duty gun was an XD40 Service. Yes I've had a mag get stuck. I had a failure to feed at the range (thank God). Tap, rack..Nothing. I tried to strip the mag.. No dice. I couldn't even get a good grip on the base pad. I eventually got the mag out after taking my time. Had this been an actually fight, it would have been fatal.
    We all have experiences to justify certain things. This was one of them...enough for me to use my free money from the city to purchase.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    Good information Beat Trash on first hand experience on sterile environments (ie range). But on the streets, you just never know. I don't know of any reports where an M&P of any caliber was used in an actually urban gun fight state side. I would love actual first hand experience.

Cincinnati Ohio PD has used M&P's for every OIS since transitioning to the M&P. No gun related issues in any OIS so far... Latest OIS with an M&P was last Monday. Two outlying smaller agencies also have used their newly issued M&P's in OIS's, no magazine issues so far... There have been other OIS's across the country with the M&P system.

Yes I agree that the M&P mags drop free 100% of the time and it's pretty good at it too. I'm not denying that.
    It's the unknown I'm worried about. Sure the mags can be stripped with a quick swipe at the front but what about that one time it doesn't want to do that? This can go on and on.. I can't help to think you are trying to deal with a training issue by changing parts. IF a stuck magazine is a concern, why go to a smaller base plate?

I'm not trying to argue, or be an ass, I just can't comprehend the logic of going to a smaller base plate, other than for looks.

I'm not really here to argue on the price point. We all have prices we are willing to pay. I didn't mind paying the $70 for the base pads.
    It always boils down to price on pretty much everything nowadays. Remember where we are. M4C. Place where people (myself included) pay way more for stuff than usual.

With that said, my last duty gun was an XD40 Service. Yes I've had a mag get stuck. I had a failure to feed at the range (thank God). Tap, rack..Nothing. I tried to strip the mag.. No dice. I couldn't even get a good grip on the base pad. I eventually got the mag out after taking my time. Had this been an actually fight, it would have been fatal.The M&P and the XD40 are two totally different animals.
    We all have experiences to justify certain things. This was one of them...enough for me to use my free money from the city to purchase.
    After my first post on this topic, I called the Range Master at our Firearms Training Unit to see if there exists an issue with the magazine base plate that I was totally unaware of. I was told nope, other than what I have mentioned.

As I stated in earlier, I am not trying to be an ass, or argue for the sake of arguing. I also realize that 1,200 guns over a four year period is not the same track record as say the Glock 9mm system has developed. I do feel that my experience with the 9mm M&P's is enough that I feel comfortable stating that the factory baseplate, properly installed (make sure the pin goes into the hole), is dependable enough to carry into harms way.

If others feel uncomfortable with the factory baseplate, and feel the need to change it, so be it. I will not attempt to dissuade anyone. I merely post this information for the individual contemplating the purchase of an M&P to protect them-self, be they an LEO, or a private citizen. I don't what them to think they must spend the additional money for Hilton Yam's baseplate in order for their pistol to be serviceable enough to carry into harms way. It just isn't true.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-01-09 at 13:09.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Here are some PICS of the S&W M&P 9MM/.40 Compact factory basepads for comparison . I got 16 of them from Speed Shooter Specialties for $1.75 ea , they also have black anodized aluminum ones for $10.00 ea.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I understand the XD and M&P are two different systems. I was going back to the experience where I couldn't get a good grip on the base pad even in a static environment. There just isn't a good place to grab onto as with the M&P. That's just a plain fact. That's great that there haven't been any reports of stuck mags on the M&P. That's reassuring for everyone who relies on the gun daily.

I have never indicated that you MUST change out the base pad in order for the M&P to be serviceable. This was for ME. This is what I wanted. I already agreed that isn't any better than the cheaper OEM pads. The advantage in my eyes is the material used and the cutouts.
    I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I'm not here to argue anything. If you don't like it or find it offensive, oh well. Not everyone sees things the same way.
    Be it the OEM compact pads or the 10-8 pads, it helps. If anything, it makes it easier to remove a single mag without catching your hand on the other mag. I ran into that problem during qualifications.

Why go to a smaller base pad in the first place you ask... I was sold on the cutouts on the pad. It gives my fingers something to wedge into. The added bonus was the ease of extracting another mag from the pouch without snagging the other one. Cutouts first, ease of removal from pouch second. Not the other way around.
    I have stated before, this can go on and on and on..

As with anything on the internet forums these days, YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast