Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everything old is new again

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well the selector broke but at least the Army is looking for a new "quiet" selector so hopefully the fact that they break will be fixed too...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I wonder what the next "revolutionary" step in small arms will be?
    AN-94
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    AN-94
    Umm... no.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I say the AN-94 not because I think it to be superbly executed or effective, but because it is a truly revolutionary approach to the operating system.

1800 round per minute rate for two shot bursts, two shots down range before recoil can appreciably effect the system.

Unlike caseless ammo prototypes, it actually works.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I say the AN-94 not because I think it to be superbly executed or effective, but because it is a truly revolutionary approach to the operating system.

1800 round per minute rate for two shot bursts, two shots down range before recoil can appreciably effect the system.

Unlike caseless ammo prototypes, it actually works.
    Has the operating system been proven in-theatre? We both know that the ergonomics are not so great but I'm wondering if the operating system has truly been run through the wringer? Also interested in the effectiveness of the muzzle device and the db reduction claims.

ToddG Guest
    I've never shot, handled, or even seen an actual AN-94 (other than pics, of course). But I have to say I'm skeptical about some of the claims. Putting such a small projectile right on top of another at any reasonable range involves a lot more than just the muzzle being in the same spot when the bullet starts flying. Furthermore, there still has to be some muzzle rise.

It'll also be interesting to see if a force which is used to fielding an incredibly robust and low-maintenance rifle can adapt to something which is reported to need a lot more TLC to keep running.

Didn't the G10 have a similar operating option?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Plastic cased cartridges.
    Caseless is, IMHO, a greater advance than some new casing material. Either option is more evolutionary than revolutionary anyway, since the premise will still be a projectile propelled by a chemical explosive down some sort of metal tube, with some of the energy (whether gas or recoil impulse) redirected to effect loading and mechanism reset functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

That will be the next "revolution," energy-based weapons.

At this point firearms have pretty much reached the apex of "revolutionary" development. The first revolution was the overall "gun" concept, the second was making it truly portable and individually-operated, third was self-contained cartridges, fourth was reutilization of energy for automatic action, fifth (possible) was cheap mass-production and simplification. I really don't see where the "firearm" can go from there that would be much more than evolution of the current concepts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Didn't the G10 have a similar operating option?
    You mean the G11? Yes, it had a similar selector option.

If we're really going to take a hard look at new conventional firearms the AEK-971 looks a whole lot more promising than the AN-94.

IMHO, neither are revolutionary, but evolutionary.

ToddG Guest
    Redman -- Yes, G11. Duh. That's what I get for having too many polymer-scaled knives around when I type.

FWIW on the "energy weapon" front, I went to NDIA's first "Small Arms Center of Excellence" a few years ago and somehow found myself in a discussion group with a bunch of people working on such things. Their prediction was that man-portable directed energy weapons were less than 20 years away at that time.

I specifically remember asking, "Are you saying that there will be Star Trek phasers in my lifetime?" And half a dozen people from half a dozen different companies, universities, etc. looked at me and chanted almost a choir-like "duh ... of course."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Redman -- Yes, G11. Duh. That's what I get for having too many polymer-scaled knives around when I type.

FWIW on the "energy weapon" front, I went to NDIA's first "Small Arms Center of Excellence" a few years ago and somehow found myself in a discussion group with a bunch of people working on such things. Their prediction was that man-portable directed energy weapons were less than 20 years away at that time.

I specifically remember asking, "Are you saying that there will be Star Trek phasers in my lifetime?" And half a dozen people from half a dozen different companies, universities, etc. looked at me and chanted almost a choir-like "duh ... of course."
    I am thinking that 20 years from now people are still going to be arguing .45 vs 9mm....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast