Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Stainless Springfield Loaded

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    Sounds good. Springfield has some of the best CS in the business IMO (right up there with Larue). You can call and talk to the custom shop guys and they will always take a few minutes to talk shop and get you squared away.

If it were me I would ditch the cheap grips as well and get a nice set of VZ grips. I love mine.
    I am going to get new grips, but I think I should get these sorted first. If these grips fit like shit, I am sure any grip is going to fit like shit. I tried the two sets of grips off of my dad's Kimber and they both(an identical plastic grip and a Cocobola grip) and they were both loose. If the new bushings from Springfield dont fix the issue, the gun will go back to them to get taken care of. I read something on one of the 1911 forums about having to stake the bushings to the frame? Is there any truth to this or just make sure everything fits and then throw a little red locktite on them and re-install?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I am going to get new grips, but I think I should get these sorted first. If these grips fit like shit, I am sure any grip is going to fit like shit. I tried the two sets of grips off of my dad's Kimber and they both(an identical plastic grip and a Cocobola grip) and they were both loose. If the new bushings from Springfield dont fix the issue, the gun will go back to them to get taken care of. I read something on one of the 1911 forums about having to stake the bushings to the frame? Is there any truth to this or just make sure everything fits and then throw a little red locktite on them and re-install?
    I haven't staked any of mine and I can't see how this would be superior to locktite. I've never had a bushing come loose on me after some red locktite in many thousands of rounds. I think staking them would just be a way to f-up your frame. YMMV.

Hopefully the new bushings from Springfield will get it fixed up and you won't have to send it back. Again............VZ Grips. I'm not a huge fan of wood but I love the linen micarta for all applications.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    I haven't staked any of mine and I can't see how this would be superior to locktite. I've never had a bushing come loose on me after some red locktite in many thousands of rounds. I think staking them would just be a way to f-up your frame. YMMV.

Hopefully the new bushings from Springfield will get it fixed up and you won't have to send it back. Again............VZ Grips. I'm not a huge fan of wood but I love the linen micarta for all applications.
    Copy that on the staking, I had never heard of it till researching this issue.

I have seen a few I liked, I think some were made by Davidson, horned lizard maybe was the name of them.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Davidson makes very good grips. All of my grips are very "gunner grip" in style. I really can't remeber the last time I carried a 1911 concealed so the grip catching on clothing is not a concern.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't understand, is this black-hued stainless like the Kimber Eclipse line?

If so, I might have to get one, that finish always called to me, but I much prefer Springfield to Kimber.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post

If so, I might have to get one, that finish always called to me, but I much prefer Springfield to Kimber.

yup its "like" the eclipse. polished stainless flats, black edges. i believe the black on the springer is more durable than the park on the kimber. i know my eclipse shows every scuff. i haven't tried to do a "grease and bake" yet.
    Last edited by glockeyed; 10-05-09 at 16:04.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post

I have not seen a Kimber Eclipse so I cant compare. As I understand what Springfields "Black Stainless" is is a blue'd stainless steel slide and frame and then various parts of the gun have a black(not sure if its melonite or parkerizing or what exact process it is) finish to them(cocking serations, top of the slide, bottom of the slide, front/trigger guard/bottom of the frame, etc...).

Everybody I have shown the gun to is blown away by the appearance. What is the saying "if it looks good it will shoot good"(I know that applies to airplanes so why not guns). I am gonna go to the range this week and shoot it and I will reply back with the results(although I dont expect they will be much different than any other 1911 range report).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

here is a good shot of the "scuffs" its not damage
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looks like a similar concept.

Springfield Black Stainless:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like something is out of spec.

First...does the grip panel lay flat against the frame before installing the grip screw??? If not, two things could be out of spec.

One could be the wooden grip panel itself. Look to see if there is a shelf cut on the backside to clear the flange on the grip bushing. If it is cut out then either it is too small or the flange on the grip bushing it too large in diameter or too high.

tex45acp
    All it takes for evil to occur, is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast