Thread: "Need" a new knife

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"Need" a new knife

I have decided that I need a new knife. As of now I have and carry a Benchmade mini-griptilian and an Emerson MCQC-7. I love both of these knives and would like to make my next knife another Emerson but I am open to suggestions regarding Benchmade and others

So far I am looking into the following-
    A100 and its mini version
    Mini Commander
    Mini-CQC-8 Horseman
    Mini-CQC-15

Would someone with some knowledge about various blade designs please break down the pros and cons of the various styles in the knives listed above? I am looking for a daily carry with the potential to be used as a "fighting" knife.

Thanks.
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

New Shank ;)

I've owed many many knives and here's my take. I quite like Emerson knives but don't care for the chisel grinds as they take a bit of a different approach to resharpening. Otherwise they're great knives and very well built.

In the same vain I'm not currently carrying anything with a serrated edge or with a tanto blade. Both because they're more difficult to resharpen with my setup.

I highly recommend the Spyderco Military, Paramilitary or Manix. The Military is a large knife but carries like a smaller knife, has a great cutting edge and many gripping options. The paramilitary is the same deal in a smaller package. At about $130 on sale the Military cuts as well as a Strider although it has less tacticool appeal and isn't as beefy. If you need a folder for chopping down a tree get a Strider, otherwise get a military.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    good resource

as is always the rule, what do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend? Knives, just like guns, are designed for different purposes.

I've posted this here before, it's my take on the general purpose knife discussion
    I sold Benchmades years ago, and consequently own quite a few. I have several blade styles, sizes, etc. I also still think that Benchmade is just about the best value in the knife business, and with the number of different styles they make today I always start with them when I'm knife shopping and then go to the competition if Benchmade doesn't have something that will fill my needs, which is rare.

I have gotten away from any tanto or serrated blade styles. While I do think they can serve their purpose, I don't find that either is suitable for my use. Combine the two and you've got yourself an even less useful tool.

Let's look at the Griptilian with thumb stud as an example (even though I think the one with the thumbhole is a better tool)

Here's the basic Griptillian. Notice the full smooth cutting edge of the standard blade. The blade is 3.45" long and you essentially have the full length of the blade for cutting.

Now here's the same blade style, but partially serrated. Notice that the serrations take up at least 1/3 and more like 1/2 of the total cutting edge of the knife. Yes, the serrations still cut too, but depending on what you're cutting you may not want that jagged of a cut, and in my experience a sharp non-serrated blade will cut through things like zip-ties and packing straps, and even extension cords, without a problem.

And here's the tanto version. See how the sharp angle in the blade reduces the cutting edge even further? The longest uninterrupted cutting edge on the knife is now the serrated portion. If what you want is a serrated knife, buy a serrated knife, because buying this blade style is just about useless for any fine cutting.

One last suggestion, and I don't think this option exists in the mini-Griptilian models, but if you're going to be doing any cutting that involves plunging the knife into something, or if you're going to be using the full length of the blade for cutting, consider getting the thumbhole model. In my experience the thumb stud just gets in the way, and gets mucked up with whatever you're trying to cut in these situations.

If you're wondering where I come up with all this nonsense, it's from carrying and using a very early production Benchmade Striker as a daily work knife on a construction site. This knife was used to dig holes, cut insulation off of chilled water pipes, cut many a head off of a defective extension cord, and also open boxes, pull staples from plans, and even do a little paper cutting in the office. Notice the amount of finish wear as a testament to how well used this knife was. In the year that I used it I sent it back to Benchmade once for the lifesharp mostly because I kind of dinged the blade edge on the foremost cutting surface using the knife as a screwdriver.

and what's my current daily carry knife on the jobsite? The one below, based on all the lessons I learned trying to use the Striker as a work tool.

Last edited by rob_s; 10-09-09 at 04:36.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I like the emerson knives because of the wave feature. It's ability to be deployed faster than an automatic/switch blade has always appealed to me.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been spending quite a lot of time on bladeforums and ended up going a completely different route than I had been planning. I somehow ended up in the RAT Cutlery forum and now own an Izula. I've been using it a lot in the last three days and I really like it.

Can be found here if anyone is interested in their knives-

http://www.ratcutlery.com
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 10-16-09 at 14:58.
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Knives are hard to not want many of. I prefer fixed blades because I make that type. Ill second RAT Cutlery. April 2010 there supposed to put out my "Grimlin" pattern. They make simple user designes. Just like I do.
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I love my Izula and carry it all the time. I recently got a Spyderco Manix 2 and feel it's quite a bit beefier with better tip reinforcement but not quite the cutter. Overall very impressed with it. Can't operate the locking mechanism with one hand like I can the Military.