Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Generation Glock

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I cannot comment much on this gun due to an NDA, but as a general rule "button-style" mag releases are better off being reversible than ambidextrous. Ambi buttons often get pressed inadvertently by holsters, seatbelts, etc.
    Glock has introduced ambidextrous magazine releases before. However, my understanding was that Glock's ambi-mag release for the G21SF was designed very quickly, had numerous small parts, and was prone to breakage. The reversible design should also be more durable.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-07-09 at 18:31.

Feedback Score
    I'll reserve judgment until I see pics, might be good, might not.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Did they keep finger groves?
    Last edited by YVK; 10-07-09 at 23:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "I cannot comment much on this gun due to an NDA, but as a general rule "button-style" mag releases are better off being reversible than ambidextrous. Ambi buttons often get pressed inadvertently by holsters, seatbelts, etc."

Very True, Todd. I have grown so used to my ambi-paddle mag release that I was hoping for something similar on the new Glock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I suspect they will replace the current 3rd Gen and RTF models because I think it would be too expensive to run different production lines & molds over any length of time.

But I imagine the 3rd Gen guns will be available for some time as production and parts wind down.
    I imagine they might also shift their marketing push. The newer guns might be promoted heavily in the US while the Gen3's get pushed more aggressively in other foreign or developing markets, especially agency or institutional sales. Those markets don't tend to be handgunning cultures, so the end-users might be less particular about interchangeable backstraps, especially if they offer the Gen3's at a good price.

Not having seen the new model, I don't know how many new parts it has, but it is reasonable to assume that most innards may be interchangeable with the older variants. Presumptuous, I know, but so far it is logical from a manufacturing and inventory perspective. We'll probably know more once the GenIV is publicly unveiled.

Like everyone else, I am excited about the Gen4 and hope they come out with a Model 19 variant.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by padwan View Post
    I imagine they might also shift their marketing push. The newer guns might be promoted heavily in the US while the Gen3's get pushed more aggressively in other foreign or developing markets, especially agency or institutional sales. Those markets don't tend to be handgunning cultures, so the end-users might be less particular about interchangeable backstraps, especially if they offer the Gen3's at a good price.

Not having seen the new model, I don't know how many new parts it has, but it is reasonable to assume that most innards may be interchangeable with the older variants. Presumptuous, I know, but so far it is logical from a manufacturing and inventory perspective. We'll probably know more once the GenIV is publicly unveiled.

Like everyone else, I am excited about the Gen4 and hope they come out with a Model 19 variant.
    I'd be inclined to agree; and I think this is the reason that it doesn't appear that a ambi slide release is going to be on the menu.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I missed if it was asked already, but are the finger grooves still there? They never bothered me, but I know alot of people hate them.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    I missed if it was asked already, but are the finger grooves still there? They never bothered me, but I know alot of people hate them.
    I can't see them dropping the finger grooves.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by padwan View Post
    The newer guns might be promoted heavily in the US while the Gen3's get pushed more aggressively in other foreign or developing markets, especially agency or institutional sales. Those markets don't tend to be handgunning cultures, so the end-users might be less particular about interchangeable backstraps, especially if they offer the Gen3's at a good price.
    Actually, the single largest factor that influenced Glock's development of the Gen4 was probably European markets. Glock has been having a hellacious time winning LE/mil contracts in Europe because almost every procurement requires more modern ergonomics like interchangeable backstraps and ambi/reversible controls.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Actually, the single largest factor that influenced Glock's development of the Gen4 was probably European markets. Glock has been having a hellacious time winning LE/mil contracts in Europe because almost every procurement requires more modern ergonomics like interchangeable backstraps and ambi/reversible controls.
    Wow, that's going to bruise some internet forum pride right there. Some people think that gun companies have nothing better to do than read forums for their market research.

Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast