Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911, Brown or Nighthawk?

Feedback Score

Which 1911, Brown or Nighthawk?

I am looking to purchase another 1911 and I have it narrowed down to either a Ed Brown Classic Custom or a Nighthawk Custom Dominator. Which do you think is the better made pistol and the one I would be getting my moneys worth so to speak?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Out of those two choices I would go with the Nighthawk.

If I had that kind of $$$ for a new 1911 I would throw down for a Springfield Pro. But that's just my .02
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer Brown. I almost went with Nighthawk after looking at their catalogs for years. But I was underwhelmed when I finally handled some.

I have a Brown Special Forces - my fav 45 cal 1911.

I also have a Springfield Custom Shop 1911 in 9mm. Awesome gun too.

If I was to buy another 1911 in 45, it would be another Brown.

In your case - of the two models... Realize that the particular Brown you mentioned has all black target sights. The Nighthawk had tritium adj sights - if that makes any difference to you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I prefer Brown. I almost went with Nighthawk after looking at their catalogs for years. But I was underwhelmed when I finally handled some.
    Huh, I found the exact opposite. I would go for the Nighthawk first. Though Brown makes a great weapon as well, and I would not be disappointed to get one.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score

Had several examples of both over the last 12 years...

Personally, I prefer Ed Brown and have sold my other makes - had to fund my obsession for the other small guys in the M4 realm, like Noveske! Currently have a Bob-tailed Special Forces Model (with NO slide markings) NP3 finished by Robar and a blued Kobra with factory magwell - both Full size.

Why do I like Browns - in order of what matters to me:
    • 100% reliable
    • Simple (ie. no fancy bushings, most faithful to original Browning design IMHO)
    • excellent fit-n-finish w/ custom forgings
    • I liked the golfball/snakeskin - easier on bare hands than checkering
    • both are custom: got them my way, direct from Ed
    • not flashy
    • I like to favor the small guys

I really liked the 3 Nighthawks I have had. NHC is my second choice (along with Wilson, owned one), followed by Les Baer, owned 1. NOTHING at all wrong with either, they are usually a little heavier (not sure why), I do not care for the bake on coatings (I had Hard Chrome on 2 of 3, which may have added to the weight, one was railed). GRP has a similar set-up to Browns, my NHC's all had fancy bushings which led to complicated field stripping.

Here is my NP3'd SF:

Here is my Gun Camp favorite (6 classes, 1k+ each, no ftf's):

Had a Full Custom Brown that I sold (regretting it very much now!):
    Last edited by mpardun; 10-07-09 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    Out of those two choices I would go with the Nighthawk.

If I had that kind of $$$ for a new 1911 I would throw down for a Springfield Pro. But that's just my .02
    You beat me to it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If your looking for bang for the buck, SA TRP (non custom). If Nighthawk, why the Dominator. For bang for the buck, I like the base models of both lines. I have the Talon, bought for $2,200.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have no experience with 1911's, but I'm currently waiting on a SA Pro from the Custom Shop. I put in my order last Oct and am still waiting. My advice would be find a pistol you like and is somewhat available. You don't want to be like me sitting and waiting for a 1911...
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, too many good pistols sitting on the shelf.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    I have no experience with 1911's, but I'm currently waiting on a SA Pro from the Custom Shop. I put in my order last Oct and am still waiting. My advice would be find a pistol you like and is somewhat available. You don't want to be like me sitting and waiting for a 1911...
    i agree. the least custom 1911 i own is a Les Baer, so i'm pretty used to waiting for my pistol. i have one out getting more work done at the moment. i don't expect it back for a few months.

So if i were to buy an off the shelf pistol, i would get the wilson/mars, yost-bonitz, or springer pro in the handgun section RIGHT NOW. those are three sweet deals. and would easily be my choice over a brown/NH.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-07-09 at 18:48.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast