Page 127 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1303

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    Update to the one I posted about a year ago. I've since dubbed this the "Minuteman Rig." It's become my favorite set of gear for just about anything rifle related and when no pistol is required. I built it up around a community defense scenario, but it serves well for any kind of training course, rifle-only competition event, or similar. I've made one major change since I grabbed these photos and I'll touch on it.

As before, the main rig is built on a Blue Force Gear Beltminus V1 I picked up on closeout sale years ago. It's a very lightweight h-harness design laser cut from laminate material.

Pouches, as pictured, are:

Starting from center and working counter clockwise:
    • Esstac Kywi Mid-Height for speed reload
    • BAE ECLiPSE double mag pouch
    • Open space for radio, knife, more ammo, etc.
    • BAE ECLiPse Canteen Pouch
    • SO Tech Viper A1 Mini IFAK
    • BAE ECLiPSE Canteen Pouch
    • Spiritus Systems Small GP pouch
    • BAE ECLiPSE double mag pouch
    • T3 Gear TQ Pouch

I used to be all-in on open top pouches for all magazines. But after doing enough training and competition, and learning from those who have been there done that, I've come to a place where I like keeping one speed reload handy and then keeping everything else in flapped/covered pouches. The BAE ones were designed for USGI mags and are a tight fit for PMAGs but they work well enough. I like that they have an additional closure mechanism with a bungee and toggle system. The ECLiPSE line was a BAE contract run that ended years ago, and the pouches have been available as new old stock for a while. Not bad for $10.

I plan around a 5+1 magazine configuration for balance and weight reasons. As a civilian, even in an emergency, 5+1 is probably more than enough to deal with a bad situation. I know the standard combat load is 6+1, but nobody I've talked to has been able to explain why that's the case. The consensus we've come to is that it's a holdover from ALICE (and its predecessors) having two triple mag pouches. On the support side, I keep a space open between the mag pouch and canteen to serve as "utility" space. I can always add another magazine pouch here, but I typically use it for a radio or fixed blade knife.

On the rear, the canteens out to the side are pretty standard. Since taking the photos, I've swapped in a pair of Velocity Systems Jungle GP pouches. They take up the same amount of space, but offer a lot more flexibility as far as what they can carry. The BAE canteen pouches were tight fits for the USGI-style canteen. The Jungle GP pouches hold the canteen with cup and stove, a poncho, food, or other gear really well.

I like the flat IFAK on the rear because it doesn't interfere with sitting in chairs or vehicles. I can also access it with either hand.

On the strong side, I use a GP pouch three columns wide. I used to keep it more to the front, but decided there was a little too much bulk in front of the hip, especially if I stuffed a pair of 8x42 binoculars in there. I use the pouch for things like land nav gear, snacks, bug spray, other signal gear (i.e. survival mirror or whistle), or even loose shotgun shells if needed.

Obviously, there's no provision here for a handgun. The harness isn't rigid enough to support one. If I really wanted one, I could run it off the pants belt from a lowered holster, but would also have remove the GP pouch to make room for the draw.

All loaded up with two quarts of water, 5 magazines ammo, and a radio, this rig comes in weighing 14.6 lbs- which is really nice.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 03-13-23 at 10:03.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    And here's another setup I've been working with. The purpose in mind here is for Run & Gun / Tactical Biathlon events like Waco Tactical Fitness (WTF), The Gun Run, and similar. I've got one coming up at the end of April (2023), and took it as a chance to rethink how I want to carry my gear. These events to have a handgun component, which rules out two of my three LBE kits- but I also didn't want to go with a battle belt and chest rig like I've done in the past for training courses.

This particular rig is built on a First Spear Tactical Patrolling Harness that I picked up on closeout sale back in 2016 or 2017. They've discontinued them since, with their only remaining LBE being the JOKER rig (which, honestly, is probably better). This patrolling harness is a similar design to the Eagle MLCS h-harness or the Air Force DF-LCS rig that never really caught on. It's a heavily-padded harness with three main sections plus the yoke. Around the waist is three padded panels held together with thick bungee cord.

Working left to right:

• Tactical Tailor Magna pistol pouch
    • G-Code Soft Shell Scorpion speed reload
    • Emdom Double M4 mag pouch
    • Open utility space for additional ammo, radio, GP pouch, etc
    • (Lumbar) SO Tech Viper A1 IFAK
    • (Upper back) First Spear 3L hydration pouch with Source 3L bladder
    • Open space for pistold draw, holster is a Dara Level II for my CZ P07
    • Emdom M4 Double mag pouch
    • Emdom Small Vertical Pouch
    • T3 Gear TQ Pouch

On trend for me, I use one speed reload pouch and then keep the rest in covered/flapped pouches. The TT Magnas pistol mag pouches can be kept open or closed as well. I keep the rig at about naval-height so that the bottom edge of the pads sits atop my hip bones. I also avoid having anything tall in front of the hips so that it doesn't interfere with leg movement going up hills or obstacles.

On the support side is a single double mag pouch with two additional columns available for something else. The most obvious thing to keep here would be more ammo, but a typical run and gun match doesn't have a high ammo count requirement, so I'd rather save the weight. Alternatives here would be a radio, dump pouch, or some GP space for misc items.

One thing about this harness is the tradeoff caused by the bungee cord holding the panels together. On one hand, it provides a lot of nice tension so that the rig "hugs" me during athletic movement. On the other hand, it removes the space around the kidneys that I would typically put canteen pouches.

For that reason, this is the only rig where my plan from the beginning is to use a water bladder for hydration. Races are typically 1-2 hours long, so 2L to 3L is plenty. If the water ruptures or leaks, then that sucks but isn't a deal breaker. Of course, the bladder gets in the way of integrating with an assault pack. I accept that tradeoff because this harness is so heavily padded around the shoulders that it doesn't work well with a backpack anyway.

On the lower back is an SO Tech Viper A1 IFAK. This one is quite a bit larger than the Mini I use on other kits. It's accessible by either hand, and even though it's larger it still does not get in the way of sitting in a chair or vehicle. I know I could stick two canteen pouches down in this position, but I really try to avoid putting any hard objects next to my spine like that for safety reasons.

On the strong side, I kept three columns open to facilitate drawing the pistol. I originally put a Tactical Tailor modular holster here, mounted directly to the MOLLE. It worked fine, but a dedicated holster designed for the pistol works better. So I keep the space free and run a Dara Level II with a slight drop from my belt line. Were I in a situation where I didn't need the pistol, then I could repurpose this open space for more rifle ammunition, a fixed blade, or something else.

All loaded up with 5 magazines of 5.56 and 3 liters of water (6.6 lbs), this rig weighs 20.2 lbs complete. Add in Add in my rifle and pistol, and we're up to about 30 lbs for a race weight.

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    And here's another setup I've been working with. The purpose in mind here is for Run & Gun / Tactical Biathlon events like Waco Tactical Fitness (WTF), The Gun Run, and similar. I've got one coming up at the end of April (2023)
    The Gun Run in WV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The Gun Run in WV?

That would be the one- assuming I can get tickets when they open up soon

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    That would be the one- assuming I can get tickets when they open up soon
    I need to convince my wife not to go to a baby shower so I can go to that one.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    And here's another setup I've been working with. The purpose in mind here is for Run & Gun / Tactical Biathlon events like Waco Tactical Fitness (WTF), The Gun Run, and similar. I've got one coming up at the end of April (2023), and took it as a chance to rethink how I want to carry my gear. These events to have a handgun component, which rules out two of my three LBE kits- but I also didn't want to go with a battle belt and chest rig like I've done in the past for training courses.

This particular rig is built on a First Spear Tactical Patrolling Harness that I picked up on closeout sale back in 2016 or 2017. They've discontinued them since, with their only remaining LBE being the JOKER rig (which, honestly, is probably better). This patrolling harness is a similar design to the Eagle MLCS h-harness or the Air Force DF-LCS rig that never really caught on. It's a heavily-padded harness with three main sections plus the yoke. Around the waist is three padded panels held together with thick bungee cord.

Working left to right:

• Tactical Tailor Magna pistol pouch
    • G-Code Soft Shell Scorpion speed reload
    • Emdom Double M4 mag pouch
    • Open utility space for additional ammo, radio, GP pouch, etc
    • (Lumbar) SO Tech Viper A1 IFAK
    • (Upper back) First Spear 3L hydration pouch with Source 3L bladder
    • Open space for pistold draw, holster is a Dara Level II for my CZ P07
    • Emdom M4 Double mag pouch
    • Emdom Small Vertical Pouch
    • T3 Gear TQ Pouch

On trend for me, I use one speed reload pouch and then keep the rest in covered/flapped pouches. The TT Magnas pistol mag pouches can be kept open or closed as well. I keep the rig at about naval-height so that the bottom edge of the pads sits atop my hip bones. I also avoid having anything tall in front of the hips so that it doesn't interfere with leg movement going up hills or obstacles.

On the support side is a single double mag pouch with two additional columns available for something else. The most obvious thing to keep here would be more ammo, but a typical run and gun match doesn't have a high ammo count requirement, so I'd rather save the weight. Alternatives here would be a radio, dump pouch, or some GP space for misc items.

One thing about this harness is the tradeoff caused by the bungee cord holding the panels together. On one hand, it provides a lot of nice tension so that the rig "hugs" me during athletic movement. On the other hand, it removes the space around the kidneys that I would typically put canteen pouches.

For that reason, this is the only rig where my plan from the beginning is to use a water bladder for hydration. Races are typically 1-2 hours long, so 2L to 3L is plenty. If the water ruptures or leaks, then that sucks but isn't a deal breaker. Of course, the bladder gets in the way of integrating with an assault pack. I accept that tradeoff because this harness is so heavily padded around the shoulders that it doesn't work well with a backpack anyway.

On the lower back is an SO Tech Viper A1 IFAK. This one is quite a bit larger than the Mini I use on other kits. It's accessible by either hand, and even though it's larger it still does not get in the way of sitting in a chair or vehicle. I know I could stick two canteen pouches down in this position, but I really try to avoid putting any hard objects next to my spine like that for safety reasons.

On the strong side, I kept three columns open to facilitate drawing the pistol. I originally put a Tactical Tailor modular holster here, mounted directly to the MOLLE. It worked fine, but a dedicated holster designed for the pistol works better. So I keep the space free and run a Dara Level II with a slight drop from my belt line. Were I in a situation where I didn't need the pistol, then I could repurpose this open space for more rifle ammunition, a fixed blade, or something else.

All loaded up with 5 magazines of 5.56 and 3 liters of water (6.6 lbs), this rig weighs 20.2 lbs complete. Add in Add in my rifle and pistol, and we're up to about 30 lbs for a race weight.
    Thanks so much for sharing your setups. You always give me more to think about, which is nice.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Thanks so much for sharing your setups. You always give me more to think about, which is nice.
    My pleasure, and I'm glad you find it helpful. I'm always surprised when someone tells me they notice, lol

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Very interesting, especially the adjustment to run-and-run setup.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Yeah, those BAE canteen pouches are seriously underrated multi-function pouches for the price. Currently using them for my IFAK pouches.

Their double-mag pouches would have been nice too if they played better with Pmags.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 03-18-23 at 13:24.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    This has been my set for a while, its mostly USGI. I spent four years in the regular army with 34 months as a line platoon medic with a year of that in Northern Iraq and 10 months as a reservist. I have a lot of real working time with the issued gear and I liked it well enough. My gear is pretty much GI, with a small supplemental SORD rig.

My pack carries mostly food, water, socks, and batteries. I like the MOLLE II system because I use the other MOLLE components in conjunction with the pack as needed. I leave my hydration bladder in the carrier so I can use it without the assault pack; its extra weight but worth it to me. I also have the radio pouch insert and MOLLE medical bag insert, though I don't always use them. I keep my bedroll in the waist pack so I don't need to dig into my pack to get it out and I can easily detach it.

USGI MOLLE II Assault Pack in OCP w/ foam and w/o stiffener
    - 3 USGI 1qt canteens
    - 6 sleeves Water purification tablets
    - 1 USMC 3 liter hydration bladder w/ coyote carrier
    - 1 3600 calorie lift raft ration
    - 2 MREs or humanitarian rations
    - MOLLE II Bandoleer in OCP w/ 6 USGI aluminum 30rd magazines
    - 3 pairs of boot socks in individual bags.
    - 1 OD green watch cap
    - 1 bottle of foot powder
    - 1 cleaning kit with oil bottle
    - 1 USGI raincoat in M81 woodland
    - 1 Memo book w/ pencil in a stout plastic bag
    - 1 smoke grenade can with 14 CR123 batteries, 2 spare Surefire P60 bulbs, rubber bands, 550 cord, and bands cut from innertube
    - 1 poke sack with 2 bottles of windproof matches, 1 roll of electrical tape, 1 tube of chapstick, 1 ration accessory pack, and 1 USGI compass
    - MOLLE II Waist Pack in UCP ( for my bedroll)
    - 1 USGI Poncho liner in ERDL
    - 1 Commercial poncho in A-TACS FG
    - 1 IFAK refill kit, 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves.

USGI TAP
    - 6 USGI aluminum 30rd magazines, 2 30rd PMAGs
    - 1 USMC IFAK pouch (painted for fun) with Army IFAK insert, with shock cord to gather the excess and prevent movement. 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves, 2 callum lights.
    - 1 USGI Gerber multi-tool in UCP pouch
    - 2 callum lights
    - 1 sharpie marker
    - 1 USGI Gerber strap cutter
    - 1 SOFFT
    rear pockets
    - 2 foil packs of band-aids
    - 1 cut 1/4 size VS17 panel
    - 1 Rite in the Rain book with three pens in a Codura zipper pouch
    - 1 Green Krill Light

SORD SIP Chest rig
    - 2 30rd PMAGs
    - 2 SORD M4 single magazine pouches in A-TACS AU
    - 1 USGI Ontario strap cutter in foliage green pouch
    - 1 CAT secured with shock cord
    - 1 SORD On The Man Full dangler pouch with Army IFAK insert, with shock cord to gather the excess and prevent movement. 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves.

I went with the 18-inch for the increase in velocity, might have gone with a 20-inch but honestly the 18-inch looked cooler and I already have two 20-inchers. I chose the TA31 with chevron because I have a ton of time on that optic and I love it. I don't run an RMR or any off-sets, because I prefer to use the BAC, it works for me. I bought with green chevron model for no real reason, I shot the red chevron in the army but green works just fine for me too. I've used the KP15 lowers in the past and they seemed GTG and inexpensive, I don't mind the fixed stock, I don't wear armor anyway. The back up irons probably aren't needed with the ACOG's durability but I'm a product of the doctrine I was taught and I like them. I'm using a Surefire M951 with an M93 QD mount; I have newer lights but my M951 served me well in many raids and I really like the QD M93 mount; its not the brightest but still bright enough to do the job. I also like being able to take it off when I'm not using it. In reality I could switch between this rifle and my M16A4 clone and probably be just as satisfied, I like the way the fixed stock rifles shoot.

Rifle
    KP15 lower with basic GI trigger group
    Aero Precision M4E1 upper 18 inch government profile barrel, rifle gas system, complete milspec BCG. ATLAS S-ONE MLOK handguard.
    Magpul rear MBUS, MLOK Picatinny rail section and QD sling swivel
    LBX quick adjust sling in Multicam Tropic
    Troy folding front sight
    Surefire M951 w/ M93 QD mount
    Trijicon TA31 4x32 w/ green chevron with surplus Killflash ARD/AGD
    1 USGI 30rd aluminum magazine, painted with 550 cord pull.

The gloves are Mechanix impact gloves with the index fingers and thumbs cut off, I'm not super picky about gloves, I've used Mechanix, USGI Flyers, Harbor Freight leather palms, whatever I just cut index fingers and thumbs cut off.

20230406_122013.jpg

Please ask me anything about what I'm using.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CRJ3723; 04-07-23 at 07:57. Reason: to better explain

Page 127 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129 ... LastLast