Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Update to the one I posted about a year ago. I've since dubbed this the "Minuteman Rig." It's become my favorite set of gear for just about anything rifle related and when no pistol is required. I built it up around a community defense scenario, but it serves well for any kind of training course, rifle-only competition event, or similar. I've made one major change since I grabbed these photos and I'll touch on it.

As before, the main rig is built on a Blue Force Gear Beltminus V1 I picked up on closeout sale years ago. It's a very lightweight h-harness design laser cut from laminate material.

Pouches, as pictured, are:

Starting from center and working counter clockwise:
    • Esstac Kywi Mid-Height for speed reload
    • BAE ECLiPSE double mag pouch
    • Open space for radio, knife, more ammo, etc.
    • BAE ECLiPse Canteen Pouch
    • SO Tech Viper A1 Mini IFAK
    • BAE ECLiPSE Canteen Pouch
    • Spiritus Systems Small GP pouch
    • BAE ECLiPSE double mag pouch
    • T3 Gear TQ Pouch

I used to be all-in on open top pouches for all magazines. But after doing enough training and competition, and learning from those who have been there done that, I've come to a place where I like keeping one speed reload handy and then keeping everything else in flapped/covered pouches. The BAE ones were designed for USGI mags and are a tight fit for PMAGs but they work well enough. I like that they have an additional closure mechanism with a bungee and toggle system. The ECLiPSE line was a BAE contract run that ended years ago, and the pouches have been available as new old stock for a while. Not bad for $10.

I plan around a 5+1 magazine configuration for balance and weight reasons. As a civilian, even in an emergency, 5+1 is probably more than enough to deal with a bad situation. I know the standard combat load is 6+1, but nobody I've talked to has been able to explain why that's the case. The consensus we've come to is that it's a holdover from ALICE (and its predecessors) having two triple mag pouches. On the support side, I keep a space open between the mag pouch and canteen to serve as "utility" space. I can always add another magazine pouch here, but I typically use it for a radio or fixed blade knife.

On the rear, the canteens out to the side are pretty standard. Since taking the photos, I've swapped in a pair of Velocity Systems Jungle GP pouches. They take up the same amount of space, but offer a lot more flexibility as far as what they can carry. The BAE canteen pouches were tight fits for the USGI-style canteen. The Jungle GP pouches hold the canteen with cup and stove, a poncho, food, or other gear really well.

I like the flat IFAK on the rear because it doesn't interfere with sitting in chairs or vehicles. I can also access it with either hand.

On the strong side, I use a GP pouch three columns wide. I used to keep it more to the front, but decided there was a little too much bulk in front of the hip, especially if I stuffed a pair of 8x42 binoculars in there. I use the pouch for things like land nav gear, snacks, bug spray, other signal gear (i.e. survival mirror or whistle), or even loose shotgun shells if needed.

Obviously, there's no provision here for a handgun. The harness isn't rigid enough to support one. If I really wanted one, I could run it off the pants belt from a lowered holster, but would also have remove the GP pouch to make room for the draw.

All loaded up with two quarts of water, 5 magazines ammo, and a radio, this rig comes in weighing 14.6 lbs- which is really nice.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 03-13-23 at 10:03.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman