Page 128 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1291

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRJ3723 View Post
    This has been my set for a while, its mostly USGI. I spent four years in the regular army with 34 months as a line platoon medic with a year of that in Northern Iraq and 10 months as a reservist. I have a lot of real working time with the issued gear and I liked it well enough. My gear is pretty much GI, with a small supplemental SORD rig.

My pack carries mostly food, water, socks, and batteries. I like the MOLLE II system because I use the other MOLLE components in conjunction with the pack as needed. I leave my hydration bladder in the carrier so I can use it without the assault pack; its extra weight but worth it to me. I also have the radio pouch insert and MOLLE medical bag insert, though I don't always use them. I keep my bedroll in the waist pack so I don't need to dig into my pack to get it out and I can easily detach it.

USGI MOLLE II Assault Pack in OCP w/ foam and w/o stiffener
    - 3 USGI 1qt canteens
    - 6 sleeves Water purification tablets
    - 1 USMC 3 liter hydration bladder w/ coyote carrier
    - 1 3600 calorie lift raft ration
    - 2 MREs or humanitarian rations
    - MOLLE II Bandoleer in OCP w/ 6 USGI aluminum 30rd magazines
    - 3 pairs of boot socks in individual bags.
    - 1 OD green watch cap
    - 1 bottle of foot powder
    - 1 cleaning kit with oil bottle
    - 1 USGI raincoat in M81 woodland
    - 1 Memo book w/ pencil in a stout plastic bag
    - 1 smoke grenade can with 14 CR123 batteries, 2 spare Surefire P60 bulbs, rubber bands, 550 cord, and bands cut from innertube
    - 1 poke sack with 2 bottles of windproof matches, 1 roll of electrical tape, 1 tube of chapstick, 1 ration accessory pack, and 1 USGI compass
    - MOLLE II Waist Pack in UCP ( for my bedroll)
    - 1 USGI Poncho liner in ERDL
    - 1 Commercial poncho in A-TACS FG
    - 1 IFAK refill kit, 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves.

USGI TAP
    - 6 USGI aluminum 30rd magazines, 2 30rd PMAGs
    - 1 USMC IFAK pouch (painted for fun) with Army IFAK insert, with shock cord to gather the excess and prevent movement. 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves, 2 callum lights.
    - 1 USGI Gerber multi-tool in UCP pouch
    - 2 callum lights
    - 1 sharpie marker
    - 1 USGI Gerber strap cutter
    - 1 SOFFT
    rear pockets
    - 2 foil packs of band-aids
    - 1 cut 1/4 size VS17 panel
    - 1 Rite in the Rain book with three pens in a Codura zipper pouch
    - 1 Green Krill Light

SORD SIP Chest rig
    - 2 30rd PMAGs
    - 2 SORD M4 single magazine pouches in A-TACS AU
    - 1 USGI Ontario strap cutter in foliage green pouch
    - 1 CAT secured with shock cord
    - 1 SORD On The Man Full dangler pouch with Army IFAK insert, with shock cord to gather the excess and prevent movement. 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves.

I went with the 18-inch for the increase in velocity, might have gone with a 20-inch but honestly the 18-inch looked cooler and I already have two 20-inchers. I chose the TA31 with chevron because I have a ton of time on that optic and I love it. I don't run an RMR or any off-sets, because I prefer to use the BAC, it works for me. I bought with green chevron model for no real reason, I shot the red chevron in the army but green works just fine for me too. I've used the KP15 lowers in the past and they seemed GTG and inexpensive, I don't mind the fixed stock, I don't wear armor anyway. The back up irons probably aren't needed with the ACOG's durability but I'm a product of the doctrine I was taught and I like them. I'm using a Surefire M951 with an M93 QD mount; I have newer lights but my M951 served me well in many raids and I really like the QD M93 mount; its not the brightest but still bright enough to do the job. I also like being able to take it off when I'm not using it. In reality I could switch between this rifle and my M16A4 clone and probably be just as satisfied, I like the way the fixed stock rifles shoot.

Rifle
    KP15 lower with basic GI trigger group
    Aero Precision M4E1 upper 18 inch government profile barrel, rifle gas system, complete milspec BCG. ATLAS S-ONE MLOK handguard.
    Magpul rear MBUS, MLOK Picatinny rail section and QD sling swivel
    LBX quick adjust sling in Multicam Tropic
    Troy folding front sight
    Surefire M951 w/ M93 QD mount
    Trijicon TA31 4x32 w/ green chevron with surplus Killflash ARD/AGD
    1 USGI 30rd aluminum magazine, painted with 550 cord pull.

The gloves are Mechanix impact gloves with the index fingers and thumbs cut off, I'm not super picky about gloves, I've used Mechanix, USGI Flyers, Harbor Freight leather palms, whatever I just cut index fingers and thumbs cut off.

Please ask me anything about what I'm using.
    Really great setup for that armed prepared citizen role. Are you okay with the off the shelf TAPs rig? I only ask because there are a lot of upgrades out there to the TAPs chestrig that I've seen people do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9FV45CjDI&t=208s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eP05Tr2c0I
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty much good with it as issued but I'm probably going to add a waist strap secured to the bottom row of webbing, I got three Velocity systems H-harness sets from a buddy and some split end 1 inch buckles. Its really pretty cool to see what people do with these, especially adding the danglers. I'm for sure the odd man out sticking with the issued set.

Feedback Score
    Here's an old pic from my fall collection, thought I could share it here. Not so much a total gear breakdown, just bored after a day of shooting in the woods this fall.
    [IMG]Fall collection by Hank Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]

14.5 DI PWS Carbine length upper on Aero lower
    M&P40
    Gen1 Haley Chestrig and dangler
    North American medkit
    Beofang Radio
    Last edited by Hank6046; 05-24-23 at 10:01.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    That looks like a lightweight practical set up, what optic are you using?

Feedback Score
    That looks like a lightweight practical set up, what optic are you using?
    Its a Vortex UH1 "Huey" with their 3x Mini Magnifier. It's not bad, but also not great. I'll probably swap it out for an EOtech EXPS3 but after my 512 and XPS both having failed and took forever to get fixed, I'm cautious of getting another EOtech
    Also running a Arisaka light on side, not sure which model, but its the one with Flood, not the distance high beam

Feedback Score
    Why did you decide to go with the holographic sights? I have no experience using them. I've only looked through an EOtech once and never used any. The only CCO's I have experience with are Aimpoints, which I really like, but I never used any other RDS.

I hear the Arisaka lights are awesome, I know they offer tailored packages. I really like their mounts, I use one for my Streamlight.

Feedback Score
    Why did you decide to go with the holographic sights? I have no experience using them. I've only looked through an EOtech once and never used any. The only CCO's I have experience with are Aimpoints, which I really like, but I never used any other RDS.

I hear the Arisaka lights are awesome, I know they offer tailored packages. I really like their mounts, I use one for my Streamlight.
    I have had everything from Holographic sites, LPVOs, ACOGs, RDS, and who knows how many weapon lights. I like the Holographic because it doesn't have the parrallax of a red dot, and tends to work better with a magnifier when dealing with astigmatism. The down side is size and battery life, battery life being massively less then a good Red dot. I honestly mostly have gone back to an ACOG with a top Dot, or an LPVO because I seem more and more benefit out of magnification, but when it comes to speed a good Red dot or holographic is hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    I have had everything from Holographic sites, LPVOs, ACOGs, RDS, and who knows how many weapon lights. I like the Holographic because it doesn't have the parrallax of a red dot, and tends to work better with a magnifier when dealing with astigmatism. The down side is size and battery life, battery life being massively less then a good Red dot. I honestly mostly have gone back to an ACOG with a top Dot, or an LPVO because I seem more and more benefit out of magnification, but when it comes to speed a good Red dot or holographic is hard to beat.
    I agree on the speed and even for general use. I don't really run into the parallax issue with my RDS's, but most of them are on FSB guns so I tend to index off of the FSP as a force of habit. For how I've used rifles and carbines in the past, both my TA31 ACOG and Aimpoints are good enough for all around use from 0-300 meters, the advantages weighted at different ends of that spectrum. I've never used a magnifier and I really should, they've been around forever at this point. From 2010 until this year, I didn't want to try anything that wasn't a Trijicon TA31 or an Aimpoint RDS, because I really trust them. I recently did get a Meprolight M21 and put it on my AKM, its old tech, but still useable.

My secondary set up, if for some reason I cannot get enough 5.56mm to train, I can go over into my other stockpile.

USGI MOLLE II Assault Pack in OCP w/ foam and w/o stiffener
    - 3 USGI 1qt canteens
    - 6 sleeves Water purification tablets
    - 1 USMC 3 liter hydration bladder w/ coyote carrier
    - 1 3600 calorie lift raft ration
    - 2 MREs or humanitarian rations
    - 3 pairs of boot socks in individual bags.
    - 1 OD green watch cap
    - 1 bottle of foot powder
    - 1 cleaning kit with oil bottle
    - 1 USGI raincoat in M81 woodland
    - 1 Memo book w/ pencil in a stout plastic bag
    - Surefire 951 on M93 QD mount
    - 1 smoke grenade can with 14 CR123 batteries, 2 spare Surefire P60 bulbs, rubber bands, 550 cord, and bands cut from innertube
    - 1 poke sack with 2 bottles of windproof matches, 1 roll of electrical tape, 1 tube of chapstick, 1 ration accessory pack, and 1 USGI compass
    - MOLLE II Waist Pack in UCP ( for my bedroll)
    - 1 USGI Poncho liner in ERDL
    - 1 Commercial poncho in A-TACS FG
    - 1 IFAK refill kit, 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves.

VOLK Chest Rig by Parashooter Gear in Multicam W/ Velocity Systems Harness in Coyote
    - 3 Chicom 30 round steel magazines, "Spineless" variety
    - 1 SORD On The Man Full dangler pouch in black with Army IFAK insert, with shock cord to gather the excess and prevent movement. 1 CAT or SOFFT, 1 roll of kerlix, 1 roll of combat gauze, 1 ETB, 2 chest seals, 1 14g 3 1/4 needle, 1 sharpie marker, 1 roll of 3 inch silk tape, 1 NPA, 1 pair of shears, 1 pair of gloves.

Rifle
    -WASR 10 AKM type rifle, well greased with laminated furniture
    - 1 Chicom 30 round steel magazine
    - Meprolight M21 with polarizer & flash guard (Not pictured) on an AK master mount, short type
    - Surplus leather sling

The gloves are Mechanix impact gloves with the index fingers and thumbs cut off, I'm not super picky about gloves, I've used Mechanix, USGI Flyers, Harbor Freight leather palms, whatever I just cut index fingers and thumbs cut off.

I got the Meprolight M21 and put it on my AKM just to get something a little different from the ACOG and my slew of Aimpoints. For the money there are a lot of mostly better options; however price withstanding for what this optic is, it works well. It does washout when looking from a dark room to a sunlight exterior. The polarizer solves that problem, but on its darkest setting, it works like an OEG, that works fine if you are used to shooting with the BAC technique. It definitely helped that I've been using an ACOG for more than a decade and am totally comfortable using BAC for CQC. The M21 is like an A2 rear sight in that it can be pushed in its mount and springs back, some people won't like that. For the style of optic that it is, its very good but the battery free design isn't super important with aimpoint battery life. I'm totally comfortable with the M21 and plan on keeping it but the design is probably close to 30 years old, so not for everybody.

https://i.ibb.co/brv3ftm/Set-4-AK.jpg
    Last edited by CRJ3723; 05-25-23 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    Nice setup, I'm not an AK guy mainly because I don't need another rabbit hole for any more cash to go into. I've got plate carriers and battle belts, a few other chestrigs for my AR10s/ 762 guns, whole eagle 782 type rig built out for patrolling and a One Shepard semester I couldn't go to because of work and covid, but I really don't have my packs setup like yours. I'll eventually do a break down here of a few things, but a lot of my "Field gear" is mixed in with my hunting stuff. My overall plan is to shelter in palace as I have a few like minded neighbors and live in a subdivision that has only 1 way in and is surrounded by corn fields and tree belts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Nice setup

I've got plate carriers and battle belts, a few other chestrigs for my AR10s/ 762 guns, whole eagle 782 type rig built out for patrolling

Thank you, I'd like to see that eagle rig. I think field gear mixed with hunting stuff is good to go, many of the guys I know and think have more practical set ups are basically doing the same thing that you are; just substituting their bolt action sporting rifle for an M1A, AR15, or whatever.

I got into AK's when you could still get a rifle built from a good quality parts kit for less than most AR's; those days are gone now.

Page 128 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 LastLast