Page 23 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Definitely give the index grip a try. Unlike primary mags, you've generally got to get the entire secondary mag into the magwell of the weapon, so beer can grips necessitate a second step after getting the mag's tip in the magwell where you've got to relinquish the beercan grip and push up on the baseplate. You just can't get the mag seated if you're beer canning it, you've got to push from the bottom. These steps are accomplished much faster with an index grip.

Feedback Score
    Ok cool, I've been looking at youtube videos just to get a feel for the motion and it does look better, much more fluid. I'll have to try it out, it'll be awkward at first, I've got to break the beer can habit.

I'll practice some reloads too when I get home tonight. thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matticus View Post
    Kchen that's a nice rig, looks very new tho
    Yes yes. Need to crawl some sand with it.

I've worn it in addition to a ruck while hiking, and used it in a few carbine courses, but nothing wears gear in like sun & sand.

ETA: Yes, it's a LBT 6094.
    Last edited by Kchen986; 04-04-11 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I would advise against beercanning secondary mags, or manhandling them, as you put it.
    There's no need to beercan pistol mags if the rounds are facing to the rear.

Index the mag with the finger along the side of the mag instead of the front. It's doing exactly the same as the usual rounds-forward indexing along the front, only without having to turn your hand from palm-to-back to palm-to-front. There's actually less motion, and is a workable method for those that may find the other way somehow awkward, folks having suffered hand or wrist injuries or otherwise have limited range of motion leaping immediately to mind.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    There's no need to beercan pistol mags if the rounds are facing to the rear.

Index the mag with the finger along the side of the mag instead of the front. It's doing exactly the same as the usual rounds-forward indexing along the front, only without having to turn your hand from palm-to-back to palm-to-front. There's actually less motion, and is a workable method for those that may find the other way somehow awkward, folks having suffered hand or wrist injuries or otherwise have limited range of motion leaping immediately to mind.
    Nice, never thought of that. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-oh View Post
    Warlord attaches directly to the plate carrier via 4 buckles, each with two strands of gutted 550 and two end of the line bowlines. The way it's rigged the plate carrier still retains it's quick release ability which is apparently required.
    What plate carrier is that? PEO Soldier has been testing something like 8 of them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Those self-licking-ice-cream-cone aficionados went with a carrier from KDH sometime a bit before Murtha had the decency to go room-temp. THIS abortion:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-c...09/11/kdh1.jpg

Pretty sure the one pictured is a KDH, judging by the oblong metal loops that the Warlord is hanging from...but I can't completely tell because the Warlord is also covering up what would be very tell-tale armor gaps, ones you could drive a motorcycle through.

In addition to the gaps, the plate pockets on those things can sag pretty horribly. Adding something like the Mayflower add-on Cummerbund goes a long way to alleviating how it wears, and the addition of c-bun soft armor helps even more.

EDIT: And the KDH side plate pockets are placed in such a way as to do a great job of protecting one's abdomen while leaving them too far back to cover the lungs, and the buckle attachments leave gaps that fail to put plate over where the liver is.

If one ever wanted to smell what Murtha's pork projects smelled like, sniff a KDH plate carrier.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I was so excited when I heard the big Army was finally getting plate carriers... then I saw those. Yikes. The sad thing is they're still leaps and bounds more popular and comfortable than IOTVs. The Army is sometimes just so full of fail...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damn it! Eight plate carriers tested and they picked that turd? Why does the Army continually **** this up and USMC continually gets it right?

The USMC got the FROG and we have that crappy Combat Shirt. The USMC has the Eagle SPC and we end up with nonsense.

Feedback Score
    Standard FLC worn when training 75% of the time.

Stuffed with all kinds of crap. Pain killers, flashlights (red + white), zip ties, chem lights, ear plugs, canteens (SOP), IFAK (SOP), writing material, land nav aids, and all kinds of other crap. You can pack a lot of gear on these things. I wear mine really tight and high as well. Not a bad piece of gear courtesy of Uncle Sam. I thought it would fall apart in a week, but it's kept on truckin'.

Last edited by variablebinary; 04-10-11 at 22:54.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 23 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast