Page 27 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    How did you know where to drill the holes for the VAS shroud? sorry for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    Diamondback Tactical AW-FAPC with Cummerbund

MSA TC2001 "Shorty" Helmet turned into an Ops-Core knockoff
    -Ops-Core Shroud with GI Rhino Arm
    -Ops-Core X-Nape
    -Pads strategically out of the way (Always have a headset on...)
    -Rescue Strobe Velcro'd to back of helmet
    -Bunny Ears Velcro'd down

I run this helmet because it makes wearing a headset so much more bearable. I have big dumbo ears to begin with, add the pressure of an ACH and I become a grumpy SOB in about 30 seconds. Gratuitous IR reflective gucci shit to make up for the lack of any on my uniform

The overall idea is that I could carry everything I need/want to operate and not carry a bag at all, although 9 times out of 10 I have to anyway

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot54 View Post
    How did you know where to drill the holes for the VAS shroud? sorry for my ignorance.
    It came with the 3-hole pattern, I can't recommend drilling, I hear it ruins the helmet. I don't know if it's true or not but it sure doesn't sound good.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Training / Post Rapture looting / Piss off Grant loadout

Here's my newish set-up. I was running a Spartan II, which I really liked compared to the IBA / IOTV I was used to, but still felt bulky and running a pistol on it always seemed a little wonky. After a bit of research I decided I'd finally give in and pick up a PC and battle belt. Sure as shit it's soooooo much more comfortable and practical, and transitioning to my secondary is quick and instinctive.
    Alright, first my PC:
    I found a good deal on a LBT 6094B with the kangaroo pouch, which I really like as it keeps it pretty slick and low-profile. Since I'm not running radios I used those two slots as extra mag pouches, for a total capacity of 5 mags. For armor I'm running CD Med SAPIs w/ Velocity Systems plate backers as well as some DIY side armor from the kevlar backers of my old issue side SAPIs. Only other additions were a Camelbak Armorbak, which is pretty nice since it is only held on with fastex and is quick to remove, and some shockcord to hold on a CAT tourniquet.

Firstline is an ATS Warbelt with a Safariland ALS holster for my Glock 19. Holy shit this holster is awesome, great retention yet easy and natural to draw quickly. Also added a HSGI Bleeder pouch as an IFAK, as it doesn't get in the way yet it holds a decent amount of med supplies for GSW. I'm a big fan of dump pouches, and found a CSM for a good price. So far I like it as it's a decent size yet doesn't get in the way and kinda rolls up when not in use, but not as well as Maxpedition Rolly-Polys. Since I run a Redi-Mod on my AR I only added 1 AR mag pouch for emergency reloads and picked up a Fastmag, which has been awesome- great retention yet allows quick reloads. And last but not least a TT pouch for a Leatherman and Eagle M9 pouches that I modded to fit Glock mags.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    It came with the 3-hole pattern, I can't recommend drilling, I hear it ruins the helmet. I don't know if it's true or not but it sure doesn't sound good.
    I have googled around and I only ever see people on forums saying not to do it. The Norotos Universal page has this warning: "Drilling your own holes in helmet may affect the ballistic integrity." I emailed www.ownthenight.com about this after I noticed this quote
    Available with holes drilled for 1 and 3 hole NVG Mounts
    towards the bottom of this page: http://www.ownthenight.com/catalog/i92.html . They drill their holes. They said they would drill them for $25 plus shipping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aftermath686 View Post
    I don't post on this forum often, but posted this on another forum and was asked to put it up here as well.

My current training loadout is as follows. I say current delicately as my kit is constantly evolving.

Starting from head to toe, first up is my kevlar. It is an LWH with Ops-Core VAS Shroud, Oregon Aero BLSS Kit, Surefire Helmet light, and MS2000 attached with Velcro. The helmet was a cost effective solution to having personal head protection and a platform for NVGs. That said, my very next large purchase will be an Ops-Core FAST helmet. Having tried out my buddies, there is absolutely no comparison in comfort. I thought that my current setup was decent (decent being not such a horrible headache at the end of a day...) but the FAST is leaps and bounds ahead anything else I have tried. Side note for those who may be wondering: I run Peltor Soundtraps under the LWH by removing the top large circular pad from the helmet. They do fit, but it is tight and the primary reason for discomfort especially when used with eye-pro.

How did you know where to drill the holes for the VAS? And did it hurt the helmet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot54 View Post
    How did you know where to drill the holes for the VAS? And did it hurt the helmet?
    All MSA helmets can be ordered with 1, 3 or no holes. Drilling your own helmet is not recommended.
    If you already have a helmet without holes, you could PM M4Guru, he might know who will drill them aftermarket.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 06-29-11 at 01:10.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    www.ownthenight.com will drill them for 25$ plus shipping per an email I received from them.

I always read on forums people saying not to drill the holes. I can see where that would make sense but do we have any evidence that it is a factor?

The mounting hardware has to be ballistic but it still has at least 4 holes in an ACH even with no mounting holes for NVGs. The old K-pots had like 6 just for the suspension system plus the chin strap had 2 more.

Is the hesitation to drill holes just from a feeling that people will drill poorly or is it a real question of ballistic integrity.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Obviously putting holes in something like a ballistic helmet is going to degrade the ballistic integrity. The helmet companies advise users not drill there own helmets because there are people out there who will dick it up. I don't blame them one bit, as that is liability they cannot take.

From what I was told, the biggest issue with drilling the holes is fraying the layers of Kevlar. This can eventually de-laminate the layers from exposure to the elements and in turn greatly degrade the ballistic integrity. If you must do it yourself the best way is to use a drill press, and a very sharp bit. Personally, after drilling and just prior to insertion of the screws, I used a small amount of resin in the holes to protect the internal layers from the elements.

FYI, if this is to be used for duty I would not recommend doing it yourself. Your life isn't worth saving a few dollars...
    Last edited by aftermath686; 06-29-11 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    All MSA helmets can be ordered with 1, 3 or no holes. Drilling your own helmet is not recommended.
    If you already have a helmet without holes, you could PM M4Guru, he might know who will drill them aftermarket.
    But his is a USMC LWH so i was just curious.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
    www.ownthenight.com will drill them for 25$ plus shipping per an email I received from them.

I always read on forums people saying not to drill the holes. I can see where that would make sense but do we have any evidence that it is a factor?

The mounting hardware has to be ballistic but it still has at least 4 holes in an ACH even with no mounting holes for NVGs. The old K-pots had like 6 just for the suspension system plus the chin strap had 2 more.

Is the hesitation to drill holes just from a feeling that people will drill poorly or is it a real question of ballistic integrity.
    Thanks!! Very good piece of info!

Page 27 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast