Page 53 of 131 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

SHTF/Practice/Everything

I got this a while back. HSGI SGPB

THe pistol and ar pouches are condor along with the dump pouch. The holster is Tactical tailor. It sucks trying to redo the thumb snap right away. The small GP pouch is made in the USA not sure what brand. The knife is a Coldsteel Kobun tied to the belt with 550.

I later changed out the holster setup for G-code with a drop adapter.

We were out running the belt on a cold day. Having fun shooting strongside and the support side on different targets.

click on pic to view video

I added a USGI IFAK later but no pics of it set up like this.

I'll post a pic of updated rig
    Live FREE don't DIE!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaydenB View Post
    Thought I would post an update on my loadout. I ordered three tall KYWI's to replace the shorty's that were on my PC, because I loved the everything about the KYWI design but wanted something more solid. I wanted to get a battle belt because I didn't want to be PC dependent, and I wanted something very quick to put on that would have extra mags and a trauma kit for HD. Ended up getting a HSGI suregrip padded belt and inner belt with the cobra buckle and putting my shorty's on the battle belt. I also decided to include a PIG drop-slider one-point bungee sling with my order, because I found my VTAC padded two-point, although a great sling, to be a pretty restrictive when wearing armor. I must say, this sling is the bomb! It works exactly as advertised, bringing the rifle down to your side during a secondary transition, instead of thwackin' you right in the dangling participles. Anyway, back to the belt, admittedly I don't have a ton of experience with battle belts, but this thing is FANTASTIC. The neoprene material on the inside has an almost gel-like feel to it (think wrist supporting mouse pad) and it is also VERY grippy on fabric, as in "for the love of God, I couldn't get this thing to shift around if I wanted to!" grippy. Other things I love about this belt are that it has a removable plastic stiffener, tree rows of webbing, and hook and loop lining so the inner belt doesn't shift around.

Over all I'm 100% more happy with my loadout post changes.

From left to right on the belt: pistol KYWI x2, shorty AR KYWI x2, trauma kit, Trojan Tactical holster, Letherman MUT.
    two things - the VTAC sling has adjustments for size other than the slider. i'd be real surprised if you couldn't find it works better if you play with that.

and two, that IFAK is going to suck if you go on your back or sit in a chair or car.

I like the KYWI shorties but find they mount a mag too high on a belt. I have replaced them with Fastmags.

I have a pair of the KYWI tall on PC and like them a whole lot but I keep one shorty on there as well as a "fast reaction/first position" mag.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    two things - the VTAC sling has adjustments for size other than the slider. i'd be real surprised if you couldn't find it works better if you play with that.

and two, that IFAK is going to suck if you go on your back or sit in a chair or car.

I like the KYWI shorties but find they mount a mag too high on a belt. I have replaced them with Fastmags.

I have a pair of the KYWI tall on PC and like them a whole lot but I keep one shorty on there as well as a "fast reaction/first position" mag.
    Thanks for the input.

Like I said, I do love the VTAC sling. I just found it to be restrictive when wearing armor and slow when doing shoulder transitions. I wanted to try out a one-point, so I did and found I really liked it. YMMV.

As for the IFAK, I agree its not optimal for the supine position. But so far I haven't had to much trouble sitting. I see what you are saying in that this would not be the best set up for someone who was riding around in a Humvee for any length of time, but for my applications (HD and bugging out to the mountains) it works quite nicely at the 6 O'clock position.

Perhaps I have a long torso, but so far I haven't had any problem with the KYWI's on the belt. But I also don't have anything mounted on my cummerbund.

Once again, thank you for your input. I'm still figuring out what works best for my needs, so input is valuable to me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

HD/SHTF/Training/Everything/ETC

Here it is setup now just need to change some things.

2 rifle tacos, I got these because I run different rifles.
    3 pistol tacos, 2 pistols mags the other for a light.
    same knife Coldsteel kobun fastened the same. I may try a short malice clip later.
    EGL loppy Duty belt dump pouch. I may change this again because when I was running I had some mags fall out and it closed once on me. I'm gonna take my Emdom one off my plate carrier and try it on this belt.
    HSGI bleeder blowout pouch in Ranger green with supplies and shears. I didn't get to put my CAT TQ on it at the time.
    Condor pistol mag pouch. I still have this to secure my multitool with tool bits. Leather man wave.
    I got the G-code holster setup with the RTI sytem. It works out great.
    Same USA made pouch, Unknown brand. I like this GP pouch because it is not too big for the belt.

Live FREE don't DIE!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks for the input.

Like I said, I do love the VTAC sling. I just found it to be restrictive when wearing armor and slow when doing shoulder transitions. I wanted to try out a one-point, so I did and found I really liked it. YMMV.
    Just a couple of things that I thought I would add before you totally scrap the two point design.

I went the other direction when it comes to sling design. Went from the Magpul MS2 to a Vickers 2pt. and will never go back. If adjusted correctly, there are things that the 2pt can do that the 1pt just can't...but not the other way around.

The only thing that a single pt. can do better than a 2pt. is shoulder transitions...but to be honest, shoulder transitions account for maybe 1% of shooting/weapon manipulation, so that benefit just doesn't outweigh the benefits of the 2pt. sling. Further, I can basically turn a 2pt. into a single by running it as a neck loop...WITH the ability to go quickly into two point again for more weapon control.

Vickers is obviously a proponent for 2pt slings and was the one that got me considering them. Then I took a Falla class and he expanded my knowlege of sling use ten times over. A tip that I got from him was to run the sling really loose. This is allows you many options for manipulating the sling how you want depending on the situation. I can go deeper into this if you need me to.

Basically, I have my sling set up to where it is loose enough to do a shoulder tranition with the sling completely around my shoulders with the adjustment slider in the "slack" position. When I pull the slider to the "tight" position, the weapon becomes stable enough to go hands off and not have to worry about it flopping around.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the input.

As for the IFAK, I agree its not optimal for the supine position. But so far I haven't had to much trouble sitting. I see what you are saying in that this would not be the best set up for someone who was riding around in a Humvee for any length of time, but for my applications (HD and bugging out to the mountains) it works quite nicely at the 6 O'clock position.

Perhaps I have a long torso, but so far I haven't had any problem with the KYWI's on the belt. But I also don't have anything mounted on my cummerbund.

Once again, thank you for your input. I'm still figuring out what works best for my needs, so input is valuable to me.
    good. everyone needs to try and USE their gear in an extended applicable setting (like a training class) to get a feel how their gear works. things that seem perfect schlepping around the house or backyard have a troublesome tendency to bring their faults to the front when you get them in their natural environment.

I have that PIG slider single point and I really like it as well. but it's a different kettle of fish than a good two-point. if all I was going to be doing is suiting up and shooting the gun, it works well. it really does get the gun quickly away from your secondary.

but if I have to "wear" the gun for any length of time, a single point has too much going on and not enough control over the gun itself. that's why I find both have their uses in different circumstances. whatever works for you...

any IFAK or blowout kit, not mounted on the front still needs to be accessible with either hand and that sucks for belt mounting. center rear seems at first, to be the ultimate solution but an IFAK in the middle of your lower back makes going onto your back something you won't want to do. DAMHIK (don't ask me how I know)...

the Army kit you have is good in that the removable insert has everything mounted on it except for the TQ, IIRC. at the very least, I would still find a way to mount the TQ somewhere on the front. the assumption is that when you need it, you're not going to be in the best shape or state of mind...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 420ollie View Post
    Here it is setup now just need to change some things.

2 rifle tacos, I got these because I run different rifles.
    3 pistol tacos, 2 pistols mags the other for a light.
    same knife Coldsteel kobun fastened the same. I may try a short malice clip later.
    EGL loppy Duty belt dump pouch. I may change this again because when I was running I had some mags fall out and it closed once on me. I'm gonna take my Emdom one off my plate carrier and try it on this belt.
    HSGI bleeder blowout pouch in Ranger green with supplies and shears. I didn't get to put my CAT TQ on it at the time.
    Condor pistol mag pouch. I still have this to secure my multitool with tool bits. Leather man wave.
    I got the G-code holster setup with the RTI sytem. It works out great.
    Same USA made pouch, Unknown brand. I like this GP pouch because it is not too big for the belt.

I'd get your pistol mags off the tacos. you already mentioned that without a rifle mag, the pistol mag is going to flop. and is that a light in front of your mags? I would move that to the other side, front. then move your pistol mags up to the 1 and 2 positions (bullets FORWARD) and rifle mags to the 3 and 4 positions.

and your HSGI BOK is really handy and size efficient but the design of the red pull strap on the HSGI means that your supplies will volcano out when you pull it, possibly spilling them all over. I put everything in a plastic ziplok PMAG bag and secured it to the ring on the strap. it makes it slippery and helps removal and that way it stays together and secured to you even if you panic and rip it out. and I would have a TQ external. on the supplied loops on the side of the BOK or possibly even on the gun if you don't use a chest rig...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would still find a way to mount the TQ somewhere on the front. the assumption is that when you need it, you're not going to be in the best shape or state of mind...
    I actually have a CAT TQ on my rifle itself.

Feedback Score
    I actually have a CAT TQ on my rifle itself.
    I have a CAT on my rifle stock, and another in the belt IFAK, one in the PC IFAK, and one in the pants I wear. If I have a firearm on me, a CAT is nearby.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd get your pistol mags off the tacos. you already mentioned that without a rifle mag, the pistol mag is going to flop. and is that a light in front of your mags? I would move that to the other side, front. then move your pistol mags up to the 1 and 2 positions (bullets FORWARD) and rifle mags to the 3 and 4 positions.

and your HSGI BOK is really handy and size efficient but the design of the red pull strap on the HSGI means that your supplies will volcano out when you pull it, possibly spilling them all over. I put everything in a plastic ziplok PMAG bag and secured it to the ring on the strap. it makes it slippery and helps removal and that way it stays together and secured to you even if you panic and rip it out. and I would have a TQ external. on the supplied loops on the side of the BOK or possibly even on the gun if you don't use a chest rig...
    I don't have a problem with the pistol pouches on the rifle tacos and the flashlight works where is at for my support hand. The pouches are mounted in just the right places for me. I didn't get to mount the CAT TQ on the belt like I stated. I don't have any magpul baggies to try. I'll give that a try because everything does roll out.
    Live FREE don't DIE!

Page 53 of 131 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast