Page 78 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    My unit has insanely lax gear restrictions, it's pretty much big boy rules and because 85% are combat vets it's not really an issue.
    I can't tell you how jealous I am about this lol. Heads roll if I show up with an assault pack that isn't issue, forget armor/carriers. I'm grateful I at least get to configure my iotv the way I want. 11b's would get more freedom about stuff like this if half the PVT's didn't show up covered in condor and blackhawk after the first payday.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FireandFlames View Post
    I can't tell you how jealous I am about this lol. Heads roll if I show up with an assault pack that isn't issue, forget armor/carriers. I'm grateful I at least get to configure my iotv the way I want. 11b's would get more freedom about stuff like this if half the PVT's didn't show up covered in condor and blackhawk after the first payday.
    When I was with the 101st it was like that, very little personal gear unless overseas and then it had to be ACU/UCP. The guard seems to have much more independence and since everyone is a big boy and hated all the BS when active we're allowed to be up past our bed-times. Apparently my unit never wore berets either- they decided they were dumb so hey, not going to do it. Hell, I regularly see guys at home station drill (not in the field but garrison) wearing FR ACU's and flight A2CU's... if that happened at Campbell (even in the field) every SGM within a 25 klick radius would instantaneously have a seizure. Obviously every unit is different and there's active units that allow personal gear, painting weapons, etc etc.

And yes, PVTs ruin everything- there's ONE in my Plt. And we watch him like a hawk and gets um, lots of "individual physical training" when he gets out of line.

Army issued kit, for the most part, is pretty much worthless for grunt work. IOTVs, KDH plate carriers, FLC- all poorly designed and make my dick soft. USMC seem to have much better gear (aka Eagle SPC, BFG sling, etc etc), just not a fan of their helmet and continued use of the Musket.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    Army issued kit, for the most part, is pretty much worthless for grunt work. IOTVs, KDH plate carriers, FLC- all poorly designed and make my dick soft. USMC seem to have much better gear (aka Eagle SPC, BFG sling, etc etc), just not a fan of their helmet and continued use of the Musket.
    I hear that. At least my unit doesn't make us wear the nut, neck, and shoulder protectors. The combat support hospital guys down here have to wear ALL that bullshit in training. It's time for the army to come up with a better armor solution, and listen to the guys down range and on the ground. I'm pretty sure the 6094 you're rocking would be cheaper for the army to buy in the first place, instead of the over complicated and bulky IOTV. I want to murder whoever came up with the FLC, what a halfbaked lukewarm concept. Triple point slings, fml.

I will say this about the marine k-pot, I'm pretty sure they issue it with a ops core x-nape, and not the garbage the ACH comes with.

Feedback Score

BDS Tactical Vehicle Operators chest rig. With 8 mag platform option. And I just got two general purpose pouches for now.

Prior Planning Prevents**** Poor Performance.
    Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is a new rig that I intend to shake out this fall at a couple of classes.

The primary goal of this rig is to reduce trips back to the line to reload while giving me a good way to carry all my note- and picture-taking stuff. I am a fanatical note-taker and have, for instance, something like 110 pages of notes from a Hackathorn 4-day a couple of years back. The admin pouch also holds an extremely stripped down emergency med kit. I intend to stick a red cross to the lid just to make things easier for everyone in the event I skin my knee and faint.

I wanted to go with minimal weight and bulk, and as neutral colours as possible. The pistol mags were an afterthought as I realized I had an unused double lying around that was in the exact same spot on my other rig.

So the list of gear is:

BFG Rackminus
    Maxpedition Monkey Combat Admin
    BFG Tourniquet Now
    double mag shingle...think ESSTAC? Don't remember for sure.
    BFG 10-speed double
    TAG Enhanced double pistol mag

My belt is a cobra belt, no padding. Usually 2 rifle tacos on a RCS Moduloader, 2 kydex pistol mag pouches. Kydex pancake holster.

I don't require much in the way of support gear and I'm not responsible for anyone but myself so there's no point for me to carry anything beyond the basics.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    This is a new rig that I intend to shake out this fall at a couple of classes.

The primary goal of this rig is to reduce trips back to the line to reload while giving me a good way to carry all my note- and picture-taking stuff. I am a fanatical note-taker and have, for instance, something like 110 pages of notes from a Hackathorn 4-day a couple of years back. The admin pouch also holds an extremely stripped down emergency med kit. I intend to stick a red cross to the lid just to make things easier for everyone in the event I skin my knee and faint.

I wanted to go with minimal weight and bulk, and as neutral colours as possible. The pistol mags were an afterthought as I realized I had an unused double lying around that was in the exact same spot on my other rig.

So the list of gear is:

BFG Rackminus
    Maxpedition Monkey Combat Admin
    BFG Tourniquet Now
    double mag shingle...think ESSTAC? Don't remember for sure.
    BFG 10-speed double
    TAG Enhanced double pistol mag

My belt is a cobra belt, no padding. Usually 2 rifle tacos on a RCS Moduloader, 2 kydex pistol mag pouches. Kydex pancake holster.

I don't require much in the way of support gear and I'm not responsible for anyone but myself so there's no point for me to carry anything beyond the basics.
    I like it. I was trying to figure out a way to solve the same problem and just ended up taking a small backpack full of mags, a bottle of water, a TQ, and a rite in the rain book + pen. My belt also has essentially the same as yours, but adds a pouch for a multitool, a carabiner to hang my gloves, and a rolled up dump pouch.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bags and backpacks are underrated for course usage. Realistically, if I hear shit going wrong in my place, I'm not rigging up in this. At most my belt's going on...over what? Boxers at 3 am? While I clear my...condo? You can get from the furthest point of one side to the furthest point of the other in about 6 seconds. I'm not rigging up in anything. Training from a backpack makes plenty of sense for a guy like me.

I just (out of sheer paranoia) wanted something I could drive in. Just in case.

But I live in Canada. Odds of needing this kind of gear are on par with my odds of needing a how-to video on emergency gender reassignment surgery anyway.

Think I'll cram a multitool on the side of that monkey admin, though.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FireandFlames View Post
    I hear that. At least my unit doesn't make us wear the nut, neck, and shoulder protectors. The combat support hospital guys down here have to wear ALL that bullshit in training. It's time for the army to come up with a better armor solution, and listen to the guys down range and on the ground. I'm pretty sure the 6094 you're rocking would be cheaper for the army to buy in the first place, instead of the over complicated and bulky IOTV. I want to murder whoever came up with the FLC, what a halfbaked lukewarm concept. Triple point slings, fml.

I will say this about the marine k-pot, I'm pretty sure they issue it with a ops core x-nape, and not the garbage the ACH comes with.
    I wish we got the ops core x-nape, that would be really nice. Unfortunately if you want any gear that actually works in the Marine Corps you have to pay for it out of pocket (slings, mag pouches, electronic hearing protection, etc.) Our old 1st Sgt wouldn't even let us put American flag patches on our issued plate carriers, and I would never dream of buying my own.

The new plate carriers they're issuing (not sure of brand) seem to be pretty well designed. There's no excess material on the plate pouches, the cummerbund has pockets for the side SAPIs (unlike the old Eagle Industries version where they were MOLLE pouches), and they even put the strap buckles on the front so they're more easily accessible. If I was deploying again I could do a more thorough review, but my initial impression of it is positive.

Now if someone could explain the logic behind the MTV/IMTV I would love to hear it...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    The guys at UW Gear made me a custom rig to test out some ideas

Video of its maiden range trip
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=tsconver;531987]QUOTE]

Love your signature quote by T. Roosevelt

Page 78 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast